Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bring them smilies BACK!

Bring them all back!

• YES!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • QUICKLY!

• NO

• Total voters
Project: Eternity
I'm offering this spiffy thing here what I just made and am disproportionally proud of:
ronaldtroll.png

Not sure what it stands for, :what: maybe.

Darken the top of the eyes for the pupils. Or point them in two different directions and it could be :derp: or something.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
My reaction to finding my emoticon suggestion as an actual emoticon:

127791381597.gif

For fuck's sake.

Do you guys know why Cleve's posts are so entertaining? Because he writes them! He doesn't look for a picture that sort of conveys what he is thinking. He funnels the product of the neurons firing in his brain into symbols which he can easily manipulate. A different word order, a slight intonation, a subtle punctuation mark and a clever synonym makes a mediocre post into Cleveian brilliance. With words we are unique.

With emoticons, whatever slight differences of opinion and experience there might be between posters is lost because, ehh, I can't be arsed to write, the funny picture is close enough.

Why, we could just add an emoticon for every occasion.

127800876020.gif

This facepalm is different from the classic Picard: where the Picard shows subdued frustration, this facepalm has the atmosphere of grief, of giving up. Perfect for when you've argued for seven pages and your opponent goes back to his original shitty point (and forgets everything you argued).

127802726512.jpg

The "unspoken facepalm", if you will, this time with a House flavour. It is more frank and calm that the Tommy Lee Jones original. A straight-up "no", instead of a "WTF...". Any thread started by Andhaira that ends with a question mark should immediately have this picture posted by a bot and the thread moved to Retardoland.

12780253458.jpg

A man denied of something. Either by fate, God or other people. Sadness fills his heart at the thought of what could have been. Basically Andhaira's reply to the image above this one.

See how easy it is to justify an emoticon? By the time we have every emotional combination in image form, it'd take an eternity to find the right picture. So which ones do we actually need? Which ones have a good justification that goes beyond "well we don't have an emoticon that says that thing right now"?

Kingston said:
For fuck's sake.

Do you guys know why Cleve's posts are so entertaining? Because he writes them! He doesn't look for a picture that sort of conveys what he is thinking. He funnels the product of the neurons firing in his brain into symbols which he can easily manipulate. A different word order, a slight intonation, a subtle punctuation mark and a clever synonym makes a mediocre post into Cleveian brilliance. With words we are unique.

With emoticons, whatever slight differences of opinion and experience there might be between posters is lost because, ehh, I can't be arsed to write, the funny picture is close enough.

See how easy it is to justify an emoticon? By the time we have every emotional combination in image form, it'd take an eternity to find the right picture. So which ones do we actually need? Which ones have a good justification that goes beyond "well we don't have an emoticon that says that thing right now"?

Cleve is an ubermensch exception. Few people here (if any) can write like him. We're manboons, so we have to rely on images to convey the feelings we can't quite put into words.

You need to make more birdies. There's top hat and monocle birdie and regular birdy. Someone make more. Preferably racofer because he is the shit.

:M

TheFurryFrau

Educated
back to sportforredneck said:
You need to make more birdies. There's top hat and monocle birdie and regular birdy. Someone make more. Preferably racofer because he is the shit.

:M

Please and thank you!

Micmu

Magister
So what does the birdy "SMILEY" mean?
"Sorry I am complete DaCtard please disregard my post and you can safely ignore me"

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
micmu said:
So what does the birdy "SMILEY" mean?
"Sorry I am complete DaCtard please disregard my post and you can safely ignore me"

"Awwwww birdie is soooo cute daaaawwwww. And because I posted him I'm also cute! daaaawwwwww"

Purge the retards. Purge them with fire!

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Clockwork Knight said:
Cleve is an ubermensch exception. Few people here (if any) can write like him. We're manboons, so we have to rely on images to convey the feelings we can't quite put into words.

What feelings can't you put into words? How often does an image actually snapshot your experience completely and totally? And how often do you cut pieces of yourself away, like rounding the edges of a cube so that it fits into the circle hole? How often do you betray yourself when a picture also conveys emotions that you didn't feel?

Could it be that the emoticons actually guide the formation of our feelings? That we train ourselves to downplay the parts that don't fit the emoticon because it's just convenient? That makes us cowards!

Whatever, I tried.

:pete:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Kingston said:
Clockwork Knight said:

What feelings can't you put into words? How often does an image actually snapshot your experience completely and totally? And how often do you cut pieces of yourself away, like rounding the edges of a cube so that it fits into the circle hole? How often do you betray yourself when a picture also conveys emotions that you didn't feel?

Could it be that the emoticons actually guide the formation of our feelings? That we train ourselves to downplay the parts that don't fit the emoticon because it's just convenient? That makes us cowards!

Whatever, I tried.
butthurt-form.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom