Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline BROFORCE

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.broforcegame.com

https://af.gog.com/en/game/broforce?as=1649904300

A game with a title like that deserves a thread on the Codex.

LogoAnimation.1.gif

There's a demo "brototype" available on the official site: http://www.freelives.net/broforce/

Vote for it on Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93927889

RPS article: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/25/no-emotions-just-explosions-broforce/

No Emotions, Just Explosions: Broforce!

broforce.jpg

The headline refers to the trend for overwhelming emotional experiences in modern man-shoots. In Broforce! there is none of that. Brosplosions create ex-bros, decimating chunks of scenery and causing enemies to bounce, bleed and bellow as they perish in a fountain of red pixels. The millennia’s worth of the 1980s that have been packed into the game is nothing more than a distraction because beyond the silly characters – Rambro, the Brominator – and daft title, Broforce! is a beautifully designed game. Think of it as Contra with destructible scenery and increased mobility, or a side-scrolling Cannon Fodder, or even Spelunky except with exploding everything. Barrels burst, bridges tumble into chasms, giant vehicles fall from the sky. Watch the trailer, play the free brototype and you will become a believer.

Eurogamer reckon “Broforce is what The Expendables game should have been” but that’s not going far enough. This is what The Expendables films should have been.

Last edited:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like a chaotic clusterfuck, might be fun, but I am afraid it's going to be designed by idiots who will try to substitute HUGESPLOSIONS for actually good gameplay ideas (brotip: sticking "bro" in 80's action franchises ain't it).

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I don't like it. 80's action and "No Emotions, Just Explosions" attitude is cool, but I think manly themes this should be treated with proper gravitas. Unfortunately this game seems like something that effeminate hipsters will enjoy in a "sort of ironic kind of way". Gratitious violence and gun totting, one liner spewing Arnold-esque heroes shoud be celebrated not ridiculed. So fuck it. And the gameplay doesn't look all that fun either.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I played the prototype, and I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a while.

The goal of each level is to kill the Devil in the Suit (no, for real) and escape in the helicopter that then appears. The only non-80s part about the game is that some of the bros come from 90s action films.

Each Bro has two weapons, a standard gun with infinite ammo, and a Special weapon with limited ammo. What weapons you get depends on your Bro. There's one pure melee Bro, BTW. My favourite is the MacGyver bro with a decoy "chicken" bomb that attracts others to come investigate before going KABOOM and taking them all out at once. You get extra lives in a level by finding and freeing other bros, but every time you free them you take immediate control of that Bro, so you may have to change your tactics in the midst of a huge firefight.

It doesn't have the deep gameplay and variety of Spelunky, but the amount of carnage one can inflict with just a little ingenuity will pay off. I'm waiting for this one to come out.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Tried the Brototype,er it didn't give me any massive erections but it's ok,voted for it on Greenlight

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
My previous post is based on an older build. I just played the update where they added a melee attack for all Bros, parachuting grunts and guard dogs. There's also supposed to be new Bros, but I didn't play far enough to see them. Last time I got as far as the Brominator. It's probably RoboBro.

The guard dogs are awesome. They jump around and run wildly, but also stop and feast on nearby corpses. Eew.

A user named cat

So many of these retro games are the same, this looks like it plays just as terrible as Cave Story, Meat Boy and the rest of them. They try so hard to look like 8/16-bit era games yet they always control like complete ass, feature terrible gravity and feel nothing like the platformers they're trying to recreate.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
looks like a non clunky version of ....eh, forgot the name of the game, that one with you are a brain and control units, 2d physics game, godamnit to hell.

Ashery

Prophet
looks like a non clunky version of ....eh, forgot the name of the game, that one with you are a brain and control units, 2d physics game, godamnit to hell.

Cortex Command?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Looks good, though hopefully they add some variety in the future missions.

Destructible environment does give me a semi-boner. Hopefully it wont be utter shit, like in Cortex Command.

So many of these retro games are the same, this looks like it plays just as terrible as Cave Story, Meat Boy and the rest of them. They try so hard to look like 8/16-bit era games yet they always control like complete ass, feature terrible gravity and feel nothing like the platformers they're trying to recreate.

The hell are you talking about?

As someone who has played even the most shittiest platformers back in the day, I can safely say that you are talking out of your ass.

The old games have worse controls most of the time, no physics and no "gravity". The big difference may come from your controller - platformers were and still are complete and utter turd to play with keyboard instead of a solid joystick.

A user named cat

Nonsense. All these retro hipturds play like the first Mario Bros, and I played Cave Story with a controller. Try to compare them to the likes of aforementioned Contra, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic or various other console platformers when it comes to movement, momentum and the general feel of the games. None of these ever get it right. Basically just shitty flash games with pixel art slapped on top.

wergle

Educated
Unfortunately this game seems like something that effeminate hipsters will enjoy in a "sort of ironic kind of way". Gratitious violence and gun totting, one liner spewing Arnold-esque heroes shoud be celebrated not ridiculed. So fuck it. And the gameplay doesn't look all that fun either.
But what of the gameplay?

wergle

Educated
this looks like it plays just as terrible as Cave Story, Meat Boy...
What the fuck is wrong with Super Meat Boy's gameplay, exactly? As a fast-paced arcade platformer it's superb.

I bet you call Hotline Miami a hipster retro shooter with shitty gameplay too since it has pixel art

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom