Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Call of Pripyat

MetalCraze

Arcane
Or maybe Complete fucked something up again?

CoP did it way better - in SoC you were just forced to fight there all the time. Still they did cut corners a lot with it.

Way too small.
If they would've added Pripyat map from SoC (considering that you can see the same location blocked by the fence) - it would've been a considerable improvement.

Alas they decided to cut one game into three and sell them separately.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Admiral jimbob said:
Just finished it for the second time. Was way easier than I remember, did Complete fuck up the balance somehow? I died maybe once in the entire Pripyat section.

Yes, I think so. It feels easier (but maybe because you know game thru and through), thus I'm using "realistic weapon mod" (which makes a gunfire a bit more deadly). For the pure pleasure Stalker 1.0 (non patched, brutal thingy) is recommend. Dunno if there was an english version, though.

Ps. By the way - http://www.dezowave.com/ - site worth of bookmark. Mod "The lost Alpha" will be based on original Stalker maps from 2004 published some times ago. Way bigger maps then its later iterations. Nota bene, those "Stalker 2004" set of map, in somewhat playable form, can be found on the internet ( http://tinyurl.com/3dk5d2b - get it running is maybe a bit fussy process, but totally worth of efforts, imho).

Topher

Cipher
Menckenstein said:
Any place selling this cheap? Can't pirate, don't want to pay $30US

I just got a copy for $5 at half priced books.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It's 2TALKER
And then it will be STALK3R
And then ST4LKER
Then 5TALKER

Or if you want to do it like true AAA professionals - STALK4R

Speaking of them - GSC needs to update their game along with recent events so it's more like

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 福島の影
They can also release special Tsunami Edition which comes with a glass ball containing the reactor miniature inside - when you shake it the radioactive snow starts to fall down

.Sigurd

Educated
Luzur said:
lion painting? did i miss something?
x1c742.jpg

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I hope STALKER 2 isn't going to be another farcry 2 or crysis, but stay true to the original style.

MetalCraze

Arcane
What can you do with next generation 256 megabytes of the next generation RAM and a lack of last generation controllers called keyboard and mouse

.Sigurd

Educated
Ed123 said:
Why is the lion painting meant to be scary? Is this an eastern european thing?
It's scary because it's unexpected. You're walking alone, enter in a building and then turn the flashlight on to face this lion with the :smug: on his face while you only expected just another set of stairs. Creeped the hell out of me first time I saw.

DraQ

Arcane
Black Bart Charley said:
There were those hills with insane rad levels. Got some artifacts to cover for it and went in to see if there is anything worthwhile there. Nothing...
It's not game's fault you failed to find very rare (not spawning in any standard anomalies) artefact giving 30% burn protection with no side effects.

:smug:

Icewater said:
Yeah I agree on most points. CoP is much more polished than SoC which is of course a good thing, but it's just not challenging enough. You even start the game off with a Stalker suit and an AK, and it just gets progressively easier from there.

I generally like SoC the most, despite it being an obvious beta - it's the most atmospheric STALKER and the only one with no broken aiming with some weapons. It also has the most interesting artefacts with varying side effects rather than just radiashun.

CS is mostly shit, buggier than even unpatched SoC and literally falls apart near the end. Good things are overall difficulty, Red Forest, best economy in the series and hardcore anomaly fields. Aiming with most shotguns, underbarrel GLs and pistols broken.

CoP is the most polished STALKER, but not as atmospheric as SoC. There is too much high level gear, no scattered anomalies to carelessly walk into, weak-ass anomalies and no dungeons. Pripyat has delightful atmosphere of desolation, but it features too many unreachable locations. Aiming with SPAS and underbarrel GLs still broken. Very good game overall, with many mechanical improvements, and a lot of new content but it could use some more atmosphere.

There isn't much of a use for pistols at all, especially in CoP where you start with a damn assault rifle. In real life of course pistols are useful because they're easily concealable and store able but the only series I've played that really models this is Hitman. In most games, STALKER included, either concealing weapons is useless or even sniper rifles and rocket launchers magically disappear into your pocket when you hit the "put weapon away" key.
Pistols are niche weapon, but they do have a point, especially in SoC. They usually have very high handling and low inertia, which means they can be aimed rapidly and accurately in any direction. Shit damage, accuracy, range and penetration makes them less useful against humans, but against most mutants they are almost as good as shotguns and MP5, especially in close quarters (most mutants are quadrupeds so their heads are usually the first thing you hit). Popping a snork suddenly jumping at you from behind in mid-jump, with a single bullet from P99 is just delightful, so is killing off a pack of three snorks in DV with three bullets from Sig Sauer.

In CoP, despite (artificial) boost in firepower pistols are much less useful due to less CQBs and ability to carry two readied long weapons. Still, you can modify some pistols for burst or full auto, they are light, and can be used with detector.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Is SoC redeemable with AMK?

Like is it possible to just start the game with all locations unlocked and just run around?

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:necro:

Sorry for the shameless necro, but a friend of mine is trying to launch CoP in Steam but an error pops out asking him to insert the CD (wtf??) Did this happen to any of you? We tried disabling Steam community overlay (he doesn't have FRAPS or Xfire), fresh Windows install (up to date), video drivers up to date, he tried running as admin, veryfing cache, reinstalling...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom