Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Camelot Unchained - Mounting DAoC's corpse or legitimate project?

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
I believe he stated in one of the first videos posted on the kickstarter site that he is putting in $2 million and has another $3 million lined up from private investors. That means if the campaign succeeds it will have at least $7 million. That should be enough to get the bare bones of the game functional. I know DAoC was a glorified beta until Shrouded isles was released and this probably won't be like that because it is not a themepark on top of RvR.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
They aimed too high, was very insane of their part, but for one moment I thought they would actually do it.
They had a good start, but their updates (and their KS, really) seem very... theoretical. Concepts and art. Personally I would not want to back an MMORPG without implemented netcode supporting the number of players they promise and stuff like that.

Garod

Novice
So 9 days left and $900,000 to go just to get funded. Will it make it?
Not sure where you got that number from but they are at 1.3 mil and have 9 days to get to 2mil so that's 700k

With the daily figures of about 12-20k a day they won't get there that's for sure.
It's going to depend a little bit on the last day, but honestly since most people have already pledged quite high amounts I don't see much room for growth on the last days except for new backers.
Since this is a niche game it's going to be hard..
The average pledge on CU is pretty amazing though at 157$ per pledger average... haven't seen that before.

Gurkog

Erudite
So 9 days left and $900,000 to go just to get funded. Will it make it?
Not sure where you got that number from but they are at 1.3 mil and have 9 days to get to 2mil so that's 700k

With the daily figures of about 12-20k a day they won't get there that's for sure.
It's going to depend a little bit on the last day, but honestly since most people have already pledged quite high amounts I don't see much room for growth on the last days except for new backers.
Since this is a niche game it's going to be hard..
The average pledge on CU is pretty amazing though at 157$ per pledger average... haven't seen that before.

That's because there are no good pvp mmorpgs. There is an untapped market that EA and the like are too stupid to exploit even though they took control of Mythic to begin with.

Syl

Cipher
4 days left: $1,551,226 on a $2M goal. Can they make it?

Take a look at this chart (from kickstat.net with professional high quality annotations by yours truly):
Ti4BWjc.png

On one hand, all the goodies are gone (house, inn and island tiers are full). On the other hand, most of the money comes from the beta, alpha and lifetime sub tiers and those tiers are half-full. So... that's a close call. Let's wait and see.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
$1,716,067
pledged of $2,000,000 goal

hours to go

I have a feeling it is going to make it, but just barely....

Machocruz

Arcane
If I had surplus cash I would support this, just to provide an alternative to the safe, boring standardization of MMO design. Would prefer something truly emergent and daring like UO.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
$1,716,067
pledged of $2,000,000 goal

hours to go

I have a feeling it is going to make it, but just barely....

Wow, what a fucking jump. 300,000 pledged in just like 24 hours or so. Where the fuck did the last surge come from? Why the fuck do these retards wait until the last fucking minute to pledge?

Also, they are going subscription based with a MMORPG set to launch in 2015 at the earliest? Are they stupid? Everyone is going F2P. Sub MMOs no longer survive.

At the least, come up with a new paradigm...

dab

Augur
Where the fuck did the last surge come from? Why the fuck do these retards wait until the last fucking minute to pledge?

http://www.kickstat.net/kscamelot/camelotks.php

1) Apparently they opened new 5000$ tiers
2) Maybe intensive spamming turned out to be successful
3) Besides in every successful kickstarter campaign last 1-2 days account for about 15-30% of total funding, especially when funding target/stretch goals are very close to achieve. CU is not different - and they have really dedicated fans - with average 159$ (!) per backer.

Gurkog

Erudite
Glad they made it. I hope the game is a success and inspires diversity in the market.... or what would really happen is everyone cloning it.

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
I pledged at 50 or 60 or something a while back and checked out when they had it open one day, it looks like it could be promising

Trias_Betrayed

Scholar
Yeah I'm just not really interested in the building tbh, I was interested in the pvp combat capabilities

All Camelot really needs are simple keeps, bigger keeps for relics and mileforts.

I do wonder if people can conquer and destroy the keeps you create. It seems like a real kick in the balls to painstakingly build a fortress only for it to be ganked, wasting hours of hard work in the process.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom