Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Card Dungeon - Turn Based Roguelike with Cards

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

I saw that Jack Dandy was playing this and seemed to like it. I watched the video above and then went to STEAM and saw it was on sale for $8.99. I just said what the hell, it's only $9 and bought it. I actually do enjoy this. It's a fun and enjoyable time waster. I was looking for something to just waste some time on, between packing all this shit up in my house.

A brief overview:

The dungeons are all randomly created. There are "creatures" and "monsters". Creatures will not harm you unless you harm them. The monsters will harm you and are looking for you. Each level has a "boss" and when you defeat them, it then creates a portal out of the level.

You harm things by using your cards. The cards only have a limited number of uses, so you need to kill your foes quickly and efficiently. Like don't waist your time killing creatures, use AOE spells to kill/damage a large number of monsters at one time etc... You can also do things like teleport a creature or monster, use cards in combinations to do damage etc.. You can also find cards to command creatures or monsters to fight for you.

You can find more cards from monsters/creatures when they die, in chests, crates, spots on the floor etc. Monsters and chests basically drop damage or healing or equipment cards. The crates, spots on the floor, coffins etc... either have an empty card, a health/mana card (which you have to use immediately), or gold to buy cards at the Shop (a walking creature that only shows up randomly).

There are also sometimes shrines that will completely restore your cards to full use, or you might just receive damage to you (it is random).

You also find equipment cards, and these go into your equipment character sheet. These either raise your defences, or reflexes, or may offer stuff like poison damage with each successful strike you hit.

As for saving, there is only a quit option and then it will make a save, and then you can continue from there.

Overall, it has been a fun time waster, and I am enjoying it. So maybe check out the video, and see if it is something you might like.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
There's something about the visual aspect that just really appealed to me.

Dunno why, I really enjoy looking at boardgame-style dungeons.
Like, I have Descent and the D&D boardgames at my place, and I think I have more fun just looking at the various scenes that are created than actually playing 'em, heheh.

IUtB8wy.jpg
yBr9KoN.jpg

SJRtmFs.jpg

Anywho, my last run I made it to the 3rd chapter's boss and then ran outta cards.. Tried to retreat to an earlier room where I left some treasures, but I got stun-locked to death by the boss and some fuckin' spiders. Meh!

Right now I'm waiting for the "faster animations" patch.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Card games seem to be on the rise. Even some war games have taken to them lately, or maybe they were always there and I just never noticed. Does this game have any kind of end goal or is it just a 'see how far you get' sort of affair?

Jack Dandy

Arcane
There are a bunch of dungeons in the game, each one composed of 3 levels.
You try to get to the final dungeon and beat it.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
The association with the boardgame is great, however I miss the typical, old cardbox colorstyle. The video game just looks too cartoonish and flashy for my taste.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So there are these Gem cards you can also find, which I *assumed* would unlock other traits you can have when you make your character in the beginning, so I started a new game, but none of them seem to be unlocked (I believe I collected about 10 gems). Either I didn't collect enough of them, or you have to finish the game once? Not sure.

Then I got overly cocky in the first level boss.... and died. :lol:

EDIT: Once you find some gems, and make a new character, just drag a card to the center spot and it will unlock them. Neat!

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Ah, the gem things- that bit's kinda un-intuitive.

Every gem can unlock a single trait card. All you have to do is drag a "locked" trait card into the middle slot. If you have a gem, it'll unlock.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
There's something about the visual aspect that just really appealed to me.

Dunno why, I really enjoy looking at boardgame-style dungeons.
Like, I have Descent and the D&D boardgames at my place, and I think I have more fun just looking at the various scenes that are created than actually playing 'em, heheh.

IUtB8wy.jpg
yBr9KoN.jpg

SJRtmFs.jpg

Anywho, my last run I made it to the 3rd chapter's boss and then ran outta cards.. Tried to retreat to an earlier room where I left some treasures, but I got stun-locked to death by the boss and some fuckin' spiders. Meh!

Right now I'm waiting for the "faster animations" patch.

Visually the game has borrowed quite a lot from Card Hunter http://www.cardhunter.com/ I think, but the mechanics are a little different. You could consider it a mobile port of Card Hunter before the Card Hunter guys release their own mobile version (Loot and Legends) which isn't out yet.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Card Huntler looked awesome but unfortunately went for a f2p system. And I loathe all that usually comes with that. At least Card Dungeon seems to be a single player game without hidden microtransactions. Still, if the Card Hunter devs ever bring out a version without f2p crap I'd be all over it. Game does seem like it could be mad fun.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yes, Card Dungeon is a single player game, with no Play To Win™ or Micro-transaction bullshit.

ColCol

Arcane
Card dungeon , a game that is card base but lacks the joy of deck building. Lame.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Building a deck would be boring, and repetitive. At every level, you have to adapt to what cards you find. You won't be finding the exact same cards every time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom