Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Caribbean! - 17th century Caribbean open world sandbox RPG based on the Mount & Blade engine

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
This is also shit. Sooo many attempts and all failed. Pirates! from 1988 is still the best Pirate Game (The Remake from 2004 is ok too, but the Artstyle was too goofy for me).

Its seem that Pirates! is the same like Jagged Allliance : These Games are that good that noone is able to remake them.

The first Uncharted Waters from 1991 was also excellent.

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
:hmmm: Will I ever see a decent pirate game made in this century before I die?

assassins_creed_4_black_flag_game-1152x864.jpg

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Black Flag was a better than average entry to the AC series, but a good piracy game it was not. Every aspect of gameplay is so simplistic (granted, made well with the ginormous budget and legion of devs that Ubisoft has) that the end result is a big, resounding "meh". Kind of like big-budget CGI heavy blockbuster movies, most of the time.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I've been religiously watching the excellent television series Black Sails so I'm looking for a great pirate sim where I can get in touch with my inner salty sea dog. But this ain't it, you're saying? The video looks good, imo. Nice to see how they effectively modded ships into the M&B engine. What are some other decent pirate games, with or without mods? I remember playing Sid's Pirates! on my old C64 and found it quite fun even though I ended my career as a lowly shopkeeper because I lost battle after battle and ruined myself financially.

A user named cat

I've been religiously watching the excellent television series Black Sails so I'm looking for a great pirate sim where I can get in touch with my inner salty sea dog. But this ain't it, you're saying? The video looks good, imo. Nice to see how they effectively modded ships into the M&B engine. What are some other decent pirate games, with or without mods? I remember playing Sid's Pirates! on my old C64 and found it quite fun even though I ended my career as a lowly shopkeeper because I lost battle after battle and ruined myself financially.
Grab an SNES emulator and try the Uncharted Waters games. You'll likely enjoy them.

Another good one is Tropico 2: Pirate Cove. Very addicting. Tropico Reloaded, which also includes first game + expansion and T2, is only $2.39 on GOG right now.

http://af.gog.com/game/tropico_reloaded?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Grab an SNES emulator and try the Uncharted Waters games. You'll likely enjoy them.

Another good one is Tropico 2: Pirate Cove. Very addicting. Tropico Reloaded, which also includes first game + expansion and T2, is only $2.39 on GOG right now.

http://af.gog.com/game/tropico_reloaded?as=1649904300

Thanks for the recommendations. Kind of turned off by the super-deformed style of the SNES version of Uncharted Waters 2 though and might just give the PC version a go. Currently playing the PotC: New Horizons mod and while it's brilliant sandbox, it's also rather brutal, as in difficulty. But nonetheless intriguing. I wish they could mix n match game engines though and use the Mount & Blade one for boarding and taking over a ship and keep the Storm engine for the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
How did they fail? It would seem that blending the foundations of a very successful title like M&B with an interesting scenario, which proved to be suited for open world gameplay, can't fail that badly.

(Wasn't there another try to re-skin M&B with a Viking scenario as well?)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Renamed rerelease of a broken game, where have I seen that recently? These pirate RPGs seem to follow similar patterns.

pippin

How did they fail? It would seem that blending the foundations of a very successful title like M&B

That was the problem. There's an over saturation of M&B games in the market right now. People just play Warband and Napoleonic Wars, which is a (paid) mod for Warband. Making Fire and Sword as a separate game was a big mistake imo. So you have: Mount and Blade, Mount and Blade Warband, Mount and Blade: Warband - Napoleonic Wars, Mount and Blade: Warband - Viking Conquest and Mount and Blade: With Fire and Sword. And that's not counting popular mods like Floris. You don't really need a game that's not Warband.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I want to believe.

Or I could just play Sea Dogs/Age of Pirates.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Snowbird Games is no more, but apparently they have new plans for this: http://snowbirdgames.com/blog/?p=2676

Blood & Gold plans and revision

Hello,

New administration has completed revising of the Blood & Gold: Caribbean! project, the results are below.

First of all, we investigated the whole development’s roadmap. It’s worth noting that the team behind relaunching of the project (Blood & Gold) did fulfill their promises.

Here’s the list of what’s been done:

– City locations for different factions
– Natives faction
– New captivity system and multiple ways of escaping
– Caravan trading
– Smuggle trading
– Criminal missions
– Underground horse races
– Storyline
– Multiplayer
– New system of controlling player’s faction
– Card game
– Brothel system – including protection tacker, diplomatic options etc.
– Naval sieges

In in its current state the game should be considered feature complete. On the other hand, feedback from users is not positive enough and they may disagree with this statement.

We’ve taken this situation into account, our analysis has shown the following reasons for that:

– Incompatibility between the engine and the visual ambition. Models and especially textures were created with an excessive quality, that Warband engine had trouble supporting adequately.

– Too much of in-game content. The game takes up to 2.25 GB of RAM, which is too much for its stable work and can cause constant crashes on lower-end PCs.

– Lack of focus. The game tries to be a tactical simulator, an economic strategy game, an adventure, an action RPG and a naval battle simulator all at the same time. As a result, players looking for more ships in naval battles and those players who’re looking out for economy and trading in this game will be equally unsatisfied.

– Incorrect promotion. The game is not part Mount & Blade series, but tried to attract its audience. The difference in interface, balance and the setting frustrated the players who wanted the things as they were before.

We came to the following conclusions:

– The new administration has factually no complaints against the old development team. A very complicated and content-heavy project was based on the outdated technology. The problem in this case lies with the management who took decision regarding the game’s concept and its engine.

– Further development of the game on its current engine is not possible. Adding even a little portion of content (like a new ship) would lead to complete instability of the application. The game could only be worked on without having any new content added into it. But even in that case, with years, the game’s code turned into a mess after many different programmers got their hands on it. Things such as code optimization and refactoring would require many months of work.

Snowbird Games investor can offer players the following:

– A brand new project about naval battle, based on a newer engine. New team is already doing some experiments with Unreal Engine 4.

– A farewell project based on Warband/Caribbean technology. This is a small spin-off game that will be available at a very affordable price, with loyalty discount for all Blood & Gold owners. The project is being developed by a third party team, ORGS Studio.

– Next week, Blood & Gold players can expect a new update which would include the promised achievements, as well as fixes for some gameplay bugs (like troops hovering in the air after the walls are destroyed).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom