Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Carmack accused of stealing Zenimax's tech for Oculus VR

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
So facebook super-jew and richest jew around got out-jewed by Zenimax jews?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Can't rob Robert

3CYqDKz.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Zenimax still wants blood: http://www.pcgamer.com/zenimax-files-for-permanent-injunction-that-could-threaten-oculus-rift-sales/

ZeniMax files for permanent injunction that could threaten Oculus Rift sales
ZeniMax says $500 million doesn't mean a thing to Facebook.

ZeniMax pulled out a big victory in its lawsuit against Oculus VR earlier this month, winning a $500 million judgment over a broken non-disclosure agreement, copyright infringement, and false designation. The company said at the time that it would "consider what further steps we need to take to ensure there will be no ongoing use of our misappropriated technology, including by seeking an injunction" against it. Yesterday, as reported by UploadVR, it took that step, filing for an injunction that could possibly halt sales of the Oculus Rift VR headset.

The proposed final injunction would see Oculus "permanently enjoined, on a worldwide basis, from using, marketing, selling, distributing, modifying, servicing, copying, or offering for sale or license any products, in whole or in part, that utilize in any form or for any purpose any of the Copyrighted Materials." That would include the Oculus PC system software and SDK, the mobile system software and SDK, and Oculus integration with the Unreal and Unity game engines.

So while the hardware could remain available for sale, the loss of the supporting software and integration with two of the industry's leading game engines would effectively cripple it. As Reuters pointed out, if the injunction is granted it will bring an "incredible amount of pressure on Facebook to enter into some sort of settlement."

ZeniMax believes that's necessary because, as it noted in this filing, Facebook's pockets are so deep that a $500 million penalty isn't really corrective. "The jury's damage award here, however substantial, is an insufficient incentive for Defendants to cease infringing. Just minutes after the jury revealed its verdict, Facebook's COO, Sheryl Sandberg, publicly stated that the jury's verdict of a half billion dollars was 'not material to [Facebook's] financials'," the document states. "In any event, the jury's damages award can do nothing to deter continued infringement of ZeniMax's intellectual property—only injunctive relief can do that."

In a statement reported by Gamasutra, Facebook said that it would continue to fight the verdict. "ZeniMax’s motion does not change the fact that the verdict was legally flawed and factually unwarranted," it said. "We look forward to filing our own motion to set aside the jury’s verdict and, if necessary, filing an appeal that will allow us to put this litigation behind us."

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
If ZeniMax would end up dealing a fatal blow to VR via this injunction, maybe that would finally make people realize why Bethestards are rightfully called Bethestards.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
The idea of this kind of thing being decided in court by a jury is pretty laughable. Not even "expert testimony" is going to allow a layperson to understand something as complex and esoteric as the code behind VR to the degree necessary to render an informed verdict.

passerby

Arcane
It's all Carmack fault, really.

He developped the occulus as an id employee with "no compete" clause in the contract.
He attended gaming shows to promote D3 BFG editionas at Zenimax expense and was spending all the time in the id boot, promoting occulus protoype.

He sold the company, but still behaved as an owner of a private company, not an employee.

Father Foreskin

Learned
Carmack is a has-been fuck who should have retired before 2000. He couldnt make a game worth shit anymore so he started making gimmicks. Well to be honest he isnt the worst of them because it didnt take a kickstarter to return his failed ass back to gamings mainstream. So he isnt on the same level of has-beenness as lord british, fargo, roberts and molyneux. Carmack is more like Miamoto level piece of old garbage gaming could do without.

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
Carmack always struck me as being more interested in the technological side of developing games rather than the actual games themselves, I wasn't surprised to see him sell id and pursue other shit, I still have a lot respect for him regardless.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Never thought I'd agree wtih Zenimax about anything, but they do have a point here. Facebook shouldn''t just be allowed to be pay an insignificant (for them) fee and continue using stolen tech.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
:whatho:
Facebook has to pay $500 million because of Palmer Luckey breaking NDA, not Carmack and you guys are already crucifying him for something they weren't able to prove in court.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Carmack is a has-been fuck who should have retired before 2000. He couldnt make a game worth shit anymore so he started making gimmicks. Well to be honest he isnt the worst of them because it didnt take a kickstarter to return his failed ass back to gamings mainstream. So he isnt on the same level of has-beenness as lord british, fargo, roberts and molyneux. Carmack is more like Miamoto level piece of old garbage gaming could do without.

Edgy, aren't we?

Carmack has always been one to pursue the technological aspect of gaming first. Unlike the other has-beens you mention Carmack's still at it, he's still trying to push the boundaries and overcome the obstacles in his way. Otherwise we wouldn't have this lawsuit in the first place.

Doom 3's engine has a lot going for it, for example - but the Doom 3 game isn't one of them.

The guy is a genius, pure and simple.

Freddie

Savant

Edgy, aren't we?

Carmack has always been one to pursue the technological aspect of gaming first. Unlike the other has-beens you mention Carmack's still at it, he's still trying to push the boundaries and overcome the obstacles in his way. Otherwise we wouldn't have this lawsuit in the first place.

Doom 3's engine has a lot going for it, for example - but the Doom 3 game isn't one of them.

The guy is a genius, pure and simple.
Pretty much this, and I think he has always been quite open about what really matters to him.

Father Foreskin

Learned
All right, instead of infinite edge, i review my opinion on him. Perhaps there is something in the technology he is developing. I cant see much use for VR in gaming, but it might have useful applications elsewhere. As for the doom3 engine, well meh. As for Carmack i now promote him to Sawyer-class developer, could still make something useful one day

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The idea of this kind of thing being decided in court by a jury is pretty laughable. Not even "expert testimony" is going to allow a layperson to understand something as complex and esoteric as the code behind VR to the degree necessary to render an informed verdict.

Why would they have to understand the code? The only thing they have to understand is Carmacks contract wit Zenimax and the actions Carmack took.

How freely Carmack allowed to work with other companies?

Was Carmack allowed to work on independent projects and retain ownership or did Zenimax get ownership?

Did Carmack work on Occulus Rift stuff while on Zenimax time and dollar?

I don't see why an in depth knowledge of the code is needed to answer these questions.
Proving that Carmack has broken his contract with ZeniMax doesn't prove that Oculus has done anything wrong. They can take Carmack for a ride and extract all he owns that way, but they're not getting 500 megashekels from Facebook without proving that Oculus has infringed on ZionMax's rights.

abija

Prophet

Why would they have to understand the code? The only thing they have to understand is Carmacks contract wit Zenimax and the actions Carmack took.

How freely Carmack allowed to work with other companies?

Was Carmack allowed to work on independent projects and retain ownership or did Zenimax get ownership?

Did Carmack work on Occulus Rift stuff while on Zenimax time and dollar?

I don't see why an in depth knowledge of the code is needed to answer these questions.

How would you know if the code from occulus is the same thing he developed for zenimax without understanding the code? The expert could just show tons of boilerplate shit and fool the jury.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
/// <summary>
/// BY:; JOHN CARMACK.... FOR: ZENIMAX... COPYRIGHT 2015 VIRTUAL REALITY CODE ZENIMAX ENTERPRISESs
/// DO NOt TOUCH CODE OR I WILL FIRE ROCKETS AT YOUR HOUSE (I AM A RCOCKET ENGINEER)
/// </summary>

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom