Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Carmageddon: Reincarnation

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
The entire point is that they are whining in the first place.

Which I did never deny.

I will illustrate my point with an example: My friends and I do use many words representing groups of people to mean shitty or undesirable things. If I do something awful and my friend say to me 'Fuck, Vii. That's so jew.' should a jew within hearing distance not feel offended? If she says 'Fuck, Vii. That's so nigger.' should a nigger within hearing distance not feel offended? So why should a gay not feel offended if she says 'Fuck, Vii. That's so gay.' then? We are using the word that describes the group he belongs to as meaning something awful or undesireable, which does nothing but mean his very nature has been codified as undesireable into our informal language and, thus, into our cultural context.

That's all. My point never was 'We should be nice and respect them.' but 'Ehm, dude... That's precisely why they are angry: The word that does describe them has been codified into informal speech as meaning something undesireable or awful.' which does kind of nullify the point about how they should not be angry because that's just accepted informal speech. I.E: What he did say does amount to 'They should not be angry about it being acceptable to use their names as an insult when we do use their names as an insult. Why? Because it is acceptable for us to do so.' Which is all kinds of stupid.

Other than that, the fuck if I care. *shrug*

Being a nigger or gay is a bad thing though

Niggers are inferior (to normal) black people and gays are people with a mental illness.

Deep down that's why those words have that connotation behind them.

DakaSha

Arcane
Are you saying being a jew isnt a bad thing? :decline: of homophobic conservtard trolls

DakaSha

Arcane
Guess how Niggers calls themself Black Cat:

Also Gay once meant happy or jolly... Fags fault they scaled this word to their level.

Gays also use 'gay' in exactly the same manner. But they are gay so they are allowed to herp derp

Absalom

Im glad the devs of Carmaggedon are keeping true to the spirit of the original

Tigranes

Arcane
But when she finally appeared holding a cock in her right hand, a loud cheer rose from the crowd. All the other dancers made way for her. She presented the cock to the musicians and began to dance. Her brass anklets rattled as she danced and her body gleamed with cam wood in the soft yellow light. The musicians with their wood, clay and metal instruments went from song to song. And they were all gay. They sang the latest song in the village. They sang songs as they went, and on their way they paid short courtesy visits to prominent men like Okonkwo, before they finally left for their village. Okonkwo made a present of two cocks to them.

Chinua Achebe trolls literature like nobody else.

potatojohn

Arcane
Amusingly it is just an informal way of speaking that's pretty much accepted. Everyone, even those who believe it is incredibly racist and awful, do slip and use it from time to time. And that's the defense of many who do use it: They don't really meant it as an insult and they do have nothing against 'negros', it's just a manner of speech. And that's the amusing part: Racism (though in this case it is more as classism as everyone who does live in the 'slums' qualifies as a 'negro' regardless of color of skin, but that's another story) is implicit. The very fact that such a manner of speech did become codified in the first place does mean nothing but that the cultural context IS racist/classist.
So when people call each other dicks it's really institutionalized misandry?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The same as with calling everyone you don't like a homophobe, whitey, misogynist and such? Yeah, I agree.
That's what they are. So strange how some bigots get annoyed when others tell them about their bigoted behavior.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
That's what they are. So strange how some bigots get annoyed when others tell them about their bigoted behavior.

Your side is no less bigoted than the side you fight against. "So strange" that you don't admit it.

Using gay as a pejorative isn't pointing out anything.

Yes it is. Just as misogynist points out uh... misogyny, gay points out faggotry. I take pride in being a misogynist, I don't need some faggot using it as a pejorative. It offends me.

BBMorti

Arcane
I support pig-men being openly pig-like so I know whom not to give money. By using gay as a pejorative they are telling queers everywhere "we don't want you as a customer; we only want straight (white) men like ourselves."

Of course I was never interested in this.
Fascinatingly random white male and racism card. I have a feeling you pull those two a lot. :lol:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Your side is no less bigoted than the side you fight against. "So strange" that you don't admit it.
I don't know who's all on "my side" but I'm reasonably confident they don't all act the same.

Using gay as a pejorative isn't pointing out anything.

Yes it is. Just as misogynist points out uh... misogyny, gay points out faggotry.
"Faggotry" is a negative thing? Seems pretty neutral to me. Using it as a synonym for "thing I hate" says things about the speaker's prejudice.

I take pride in being a misogynist, I don't need some faggot using it as a pejorative. It offends me.
I call people misogynists when they're being misogynistic, not when they're being something-bad-but-unrelated.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't know who's all on "my side" but I'm reasonably confident they don't all act the same.

Of course they do. Your side is the side that uses misogyny, homophobia, racism and so on as "complete non-criticisms, just snide dismissals". You always do it. Just because you think you're entitled to, doesn't make it so. Especially funny when it comes from a white faggot like Sawyer. Guess he's in touch with his privilege.

I looked at their website and they were all white.

Which obviously means they're racist. They should put up jobs descriptions targeted at blacks ASAP.

circ

Arcane
Jesus man, how can you argue for 4 pages now, about something now loosely related to the original issue.

I'm fine with gaying things up. However, these guys just fucked it up. They essentially went - I gayed to the store and bought a pack of gays. Took out my gay and paid with a $10 gay. Gayed back home and sat down on my gay and turned on the gay. Well shit, someone gayed 10,000 gays. Now I'm gonna have to gay tomorrow to gay. Feeling gay I take a gay and wash my gay. Kinda early but gay enough so I jump into gay and go to gay. Gay up the next morning and make some of those gays I bought yesterday. Pretty gay. Wish I had some gay to put on the gay but forgot to gay them, make a mental note to gay them today after gay.

The devs are trying way too hard, and people are applauding them for being tards and saying FREDAM OF SPEEFC LOL.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Amusingly it is just an informal way of speaking that's pretty much accepted. Everyone, even those who believe it is incredibly racist and awful, do slip and use it from time to time. And that's the defense of many who do use it: They don't really meant it as an insult and they do have nothing against 'negros', it's just a manner of speech. And that's the amusing part: Racism (though in this case it is more as classism as everyone who does live in the 'slums' qualifies as a 'negro' regardless of color of skin, but that's another story) is implicit. The very fact that such a manner of speech did become codified in the first place does mean nothing but that the cultural context IS racist/classist.
So when people call each other dicks it's really institutionalized misandry?
It isn't because their is no system in place that would systematically oppress the male half of the population. This is the same reasoning that says that racial minorities cannot be racists, only prejudiced.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Jesus man, how can you argue for 4 pages now, about something now loosely related to the original issue.

I'm fine with gaying things up. However, these guys just fucked it up. They essentially went - I gayed to the store and bought a pack of gays. Took out my gay and paid with a $10 gay. Gayed back home and sat down on my gay and turned on the gay. Well shit, someone gayed 10,000 gays. Now I'm gonna have to gay tomorrow to gay. Feeling gay I take a gay and wash my gay. Kinda early but gay enough so I jump into gay and go to gay. Gay up the next morning and make some of those gays I bought yesterday. Pretty gay. Wish I had some gay to put on the gay but forgot to gay them, make a mental note to gay them today after gay.

The devs are trying way too hard, and people are applauding them for being tards and saying FREDAM OF SPEEFC LOL.

Bullshit. Read the original update. Only a fag would get annoyed by the use of the "g-word".

potatojohn

Arcane
To call it reasoning is to stretch the definition of the word into meaninglessness.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can we just toss this thread into an incinerator (GD) and try again?
Try again to do what exactly? The thread would turn out the same way no matter how many times you started over, because the people remain the same. So unless you mean trying again with the forums... ;)

baturinsky

Arcane
Heh, joys of tolerance. I like to read slice-of-life webcomics, and it's ridiculous how nearly all of them make sure to have a homosexual couple, or two. Even more ridiculous, is that ALL of them are female couples. Probably, because authors DO know their audience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom