Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Catacomb Kids - a brutal roguelite platformer with dynamic environmental interaction

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Catacomb Kids is a brutal platformer roguelike that pits you against the deadly Catacombs aided only by magic, steel, and your quick reflexes.

Traverse procedurally generated dungeons and hack, slash, burn, and blast your way through hordes of things that want to kill you.

Discover powerful enchanted items and learn devastating spells like Chain Lightning and Infernus, or — if you're not feeling up to the challenges that lurk below — engage your friends in violent magical combat in versus mode.

Become a force to be reckoned with as you delve deeper into the deadly Catacombs. Perhaps you will emerge as the hero who slays Abys, the Demon Sorceress who calls the dungeon her domain.

· · ·

Or maybe you'll just be another poor soul who succumbs to the reaper.

2013 trailer:

Rock and rolling gameplay:

Also there's several alpha LP videoss on YouTube.

The developer is aiming to finish the game by early next year.

http://www.ckgame.net/

http://catakids.tumblr.com/

Last edited:

H-K

Learned
When can we stop calling games that doesn't resemble rogue in any way shape or form a "X roguelike"?

Procedural generation alone does not a rouguelike make and neither do permadeath.
:popamole::x:keepmyjewgold:

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Has anyone tried this? Any good?
Yes and yes.

I suggest watching some more skilled people doing LPs. But as a brief summary:

Game is hard as balls. I've yet to make it past level 3.
Game is quite fair. You can always backtrack if you feel a challenge is unfair or impossible, and just get another random layout of the same floor level. traps have visual cues, enemies telegraph their attacks, nothing feels like bullshit.
Stats/perks you get from levelling up make a huge difference. Intelligence makes it much, much easier to notice traps, for example. And the perks to actual useful things, like letting you aim thrown objects with a plotted trajectory, or changing your sprint so it automatically evades traps and can run up walls. They seem to be mutually exclusive with some other options you can get for the same stat, but I haven't gotten far enough to be able to test that yet. Also, you have a limited amount of spells you can learn which increases with levels, and this 'room' for learning spells is in direct competition with learning other useful traits (not the ones you gain from stats, but a different kind you can learn another way.)
Starting characters are quite varied. Right now there are only two classes, and I've only been playing one of them, but even there, there's a huge variance in starting equipment and perks/flaws. One character might have 2 hp, a shitty broken dagger and a pile of useful traits like sneaky or skill with daggers. Another might have 5 hp, a pile of awful flaws and some amazing armour that grants telepathy.
Dungeon interaction is pretty solid. I've only been to the first 3 floors, and they seem to introduce more shit as I get deeper. But already there are various types of traps, you can do things like knock over torches to set fires, smash bridges or crush enemies with boulders, or even get enemies to start fighting eachother simply by skillful dodging.
Combat is very solid. There are a whole pile of extra weapon skills you can learn. The most I got was with daggers, and I had a sort of flying kick to knock enemies back, and a sort of flurry attack where I zipped back and forth multiple times. I also had a chance to learn a move where I fall on enemies from above for massive damage, but never got to try it out. There's also blocking, parrying, stagger and knockback and all sorts of other good shit.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Welp I just finished The Binding of Isaac barring Mega Satan so it's time to move into another game.

EDIT: Early Access and montly releases? Jetpacking outta here.

I wonder if the Adventure Time aesthetic is intentionally rip-offy or a coincidence. Even the logo is similar.

fake edit: nevermind, it's the same artist.

Over the past 5 years I have worked as a freelance pixel artist and animator on many games, including Thor DS, Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion, and the upcoming Adventure Time game, Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know, among others. While these were all great and valuable experiences, the desire to create something wholly my own was an ever-present reminder that, on these projects, I was just another small part of a much larger process that would happen with or without me.

Looks mighty interesting but the EA price is still a bit high for the current amount of content. Will keep an eye on it.

This video shows a lot of environmental interactions in a short time.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Had no idea about the boiling water/poisoning water/mushroom cooking thing. Though I have noticed that if you smash a potion in an area with fire, the potion boils into a cloud that affects things standing in it (after a little while.)

You can freeze water too, I'm sure that must have some interesting applications as well, besides the obvious of standing on it.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/games/315840/announcements/detail/3218297364431242707
0.2.0 Changelog
19 May @ 2:49am - FourbitFriday
New
  • 4 New Boons!
    • Weapon Mastery
    • Martial Artist
    • Blastoff
    • Spin-dash
  • Completely rewrote level generator
  • Completely re-made Normal Bear fight
  • Added two new weapons, dropped by Normal Bear
  • Added collectible learning points
  • Added collectible blessing items
  • Bunch of new premade rooms
  • New type of treasure chest

Changes
  • Raised followers retain weapon skills, boons, and spellcasting abilities
  • Grumbuls no longer spawn with amulets, gorhounds, or small turrets in the Grumbul Tank fight
  • If a player with undead followers dies, the followers will reassign themselves to any player who comes near that also knows Raise Dead
  • Weapon's status effects only apply when an attack deals damage
  • Grumbuls in the Grumbul Tank arena no longer spawn with amulets of any kind
  • Completely re-made the Normal Bear boss
  • Regenerate now makes slimes multiply
  • New flame visual effect
  • New "zapped" visual effect
  • Made dipper effects last longer
  • Decapitated enemies who aren't immune to bleeding will bleed out now
  • Reduced damage frequency of acid
  • Completely re-made the Encyclopedia
  • Added the ability to specify potion, spellbook, and grenade types on custom kids
  • Can now jump up to 1 tile higher by holding up when leaping out of whater
  • Amulet of Force now slightly pulls usable items towards you when fully realized
  • Campfires can now bake nearby things, as long as the food isn't directly on the fire
  • More things cause detectable noise now - like being hit, bear-traps snapping shut, corpses falling, and weapons clashing
  • Can now roll by sprinting while crouched
  • Unstable plague now produces many fewer flies
  • Increased drop rate of fishanha corpses

Fixes
  • Swarm Form is broken
  • Grapple breaks if the thrower dies mid-throw
  • The same items sometimes persistently appear across multiple floors
  • Disowned player followers remain persistent across floors in co-op
  • Crash if a corpse currently being looted is destroyed by plague blight or some other means
  • Lightning Strike (Chain Lightning + Air-Dash multi-cast) sometimes places the player in walls
  • Reaper deactivates upon leaving the view during certain attacks
  • Water isn't spawning properly
  • "fx_sound" surface crash
  • Byat eye trails never disappear sometimes
  • Typo "You knows [...]" when looking at oneself
  • Bear traps draw at the wrong depth
  • Bear traps continually re-attach to large enemies after falling off
  • Dangersense only grants a speed boost when traveling to the right
  • Orbis Malus orbs are affected by status effects
  • Crash when using Break on arrow turrets
  • Crash related to fx_sound
  • Crash related to obj_creature_handle
  • Tinkerbot weapons don't persist between floors
  • Reaper can consume keys necessary for progress
  • Fur Hoods and Coats prevent heat loss entirely instead of slowing it
  • Crab's skittering sound continues to play even when it shouldn't
  • One player's pause menu doesn't draw when both players pause in co-op
  • Raising the corpse of a dead co-op player erases their traits
  • Controller still rumbles for players using keyboard controls
  • Crash when backing out of "enchant equipment" shop menu when equipment is all enchanted already
  • Crash when tracking tunnel doorways
  • Arrows hit walls immediately when fired up or down while too near to a wall
  • Can no longer press esc to back out of starting a game, or move the selection left/right after a character has been selected
  • Spell-dealers now have the proper text for the "Slow" and "Haste" spells
  • Fixed bug with fire sound effect continuing after explosions
  • Using poet's Tome ability as a spell while also having incantation causes the tome to always cast its charged version, even as a non-wordsmith
  • Tinkerbot stops animating when heavy-lifted
  • Gamepad input doesn't work in single player character select menu if the menu was entered via keyboard
  • Boulders on pressure pads repeatedly press them instead of holding them down
  • Sometimes get stuck to ceilings with the sticky feet meal
  • Tinkerer's class ability was named different things in different places

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://steamcommunity.com/games/315840/announcements/detail/1711862846714932723
Update 0.2.3!
Lasers, Mirrors, and Bugfixes Abound!
Hey, remember me? Have an update!

I'm hard at work on the Deep Dark, and it's coming along quite nicely but isn't quite ready for public consumption yet, so I wanted to push out some bugfixes and tweaks that I think will make the game a bit smoother and more fun.

In this update are mirror-and-laser puzzles that now spawn in the Anticropolis, acting as the AC's version of switch barriers. There are also frozen passages that must be broken through in order to traverse, and which slowly close up behind you, as well as a number of fixes for major crashes and long-standing bugs.

Also by popular request an option has been added for splitscreen-only mode in Co-op, which you can enable in Options > Gameplay.

New
  • Laser-and-Mirror locks in the Anticropolis
  • Frozen passages in the Anticropolis
  • Option to force constant splitscreen in co-op under Options > Gameplay

Changes
  • Changed the way Amulet of Force works a bit
  • Redesigned class select menu
  • Last played class is now remembered and selected by default even after closing the game
  • Plague flies are now reflected by armor of reflection and mirrored shields
  • Cracked shields now only let damage through with frequency based on the defender's DEF
  • Successfully blocking an attack with a cracked shield can no longer kill the defender
  • Shield-bashing enemies now reduces shield durability
  • Swinging blade traps should no longer spawn where they will instantly kill grumbuls
  • Significantly boosted use of Wanderer's farsight

Fixes
  • Crash: Crash when trying to leave to shopkeeper "sell" menu without any sellable items
  • Crash: Wielding a bear arm with a missing joint
  • Crash: Related to byat thralls
  • Crash: When bear-trapping a shopkeeper
  • Crash: When loading saved custom kid templates
  • Crash: "draw_hud_messages"
  • Crash: When dumping out corpses from bottles
  • Bug: Rolling/bashing weapon attacks (rolling blade, uppersmash) can be initiated in mid-air
  • Bug: Stove traps still tick and gas clouds still expand xduring gate cutscenes
  • Bug: Can still drown during gate cutscenes
  • Bug: Fixed behavior of byat thralls
  • Bug: Amulets of Force would still affect objects when the world should be paused
  • Bug: Can get stuck in solid lava blocks that have covered up shifting lava bridges
  • Bug: Amulet of Force changes the alliance of plague flies
  • Bug: Pipes in the background of the Grumbul Tank fight are scaled weirdly
  • Bug: Beam Trap sound effect sometimes plays for way too long
  • Bug: Slopes/stairs are sometimes drawn oddly/incorrectly
  • Bug: Potatoes can become hot by fires even when carried in hand or pocket
  • Bug: Creatures wielding bows can't be hurt by arrows
  • Bug: Can't dump out balls of goo from bottles; can only fail to drink them
  • Bug: You can lose both arms simultaneously using bear traps
  • Bug: Sprinting up stairs with footwear of the glacier freezes the sprinter
  • Performance: Optimized death review, so it should no longer affect performance much when enabled
  • Typo: "Lighting" instead of "Lightning" in the chain lightning description

Happy Holidays and Merry New Year, y'all! As always, I appreciate your patience.

If you ever have any questions about how the game is coming along feel free to pop in to one of my dev-streams over on my Twitch channel every Monday and Friday!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/315840/view/2788248524462294242
0.2.6 Patch Notes
Bugfixes and Tinkerbot Fun

An update! Still pluggin' away on the Deep Dark, but in the meantime here are some bugfixes.

Also, I've finally begun implementing some of the modular nature of the Tinkerbots! This is something that's been intended from when I first added the tinkerer class; you can now find different motors, chassis, and propeller parts for your bot in mechanist shops and from a new "grumbul workshop" premade room in the upper dungeon. Your bot will equip them automatically upon picking them up.

New
  • New Tinkerbot parts, to be found in tinkerer shops or in the new "Grumbul Workshop" premade room
  • New Grumbul type, found in the grumbul workshop: Grumbul Mechanic
  • Several new encyclopedia entries
  • New "Explosive Arrow" that can be purchased from tinkerer shops

Changes
  • Slightly re-reduced impact of Luck on bought items
  • Tinkerbot now no longer instantly dies from crush-traps, if there's a place to the side - instead it becomes 'busted', as though imperfectly repaired
  • Gave Orb-Bearers improved abilities
  • Made Plague flies dodge-able
  • Changed the size of some spells on the spell grid: Break is now 2x1, Raise Dead is 1x3, etc.
  • Allied non-humanoid creatures (spirits, tinkerbots, thralls, etc), are immune to the effects of amulets of force
  • Normal Bears can spawn as early as floor 8 now, but only spawn once per game loop

Fixes
  • Crash: In Frolix Dens: data structure with index does not exist. "gen_map_make_reachable_path"
  • Crash: When leaving levels while a tinker-bot has died off-screen outside of the game's 'active' area
  • Crash: When a spring is struck by a melee attack as the attacker dies
  • Bug: Owl-man arms and legs fall off upon death
  • Bug: Whirlwind audio is borked
  • Bug: Legs in character portraits draw with the wrong colors
  • Bug: Can die by touching moving blocks in the Anticropolis while in Dark Phase
  • Bug: Spring legs don't work
  • Bug: Arrows that leave trails have incorrect collision boxes
  • Bug: Shop types don't cycle properly
  • Bug: Shopkeepers don't get mad if your tinkerbot grabs their wares
  • Bug: Tinkerbot interaction points remain behind when their owner dies while the bot is in idle mode
  • Bug: Wind-up Turtles and other carryable enemies can be struck even while held
  • Bug: Softlock when traversing distant intra-level passages while a tinker-bot is in idle mode
  • Bug: Pressing up in front of a door while aiming a trajectory throw will go through the door instead of aiming up
  • Bug: Furnace passages don't heat soups

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/315840/view/2788248524470308536
0.2.6b Hotfixes
Some quick fixes for 0.2.6!
Changes
  • Explosive arrows have a brief delay before exploding upon sticking in an enemy
  • Spinner motor stops spinning near switches and shopkeepers

Fixes
  • Crash: When aiming trajectory while standing in front of a level exit
  • Crash: Upon dying in water with a dipped weapon
  • Crash: When casting blink or infernus in vs mode
  • Bug: Characters can heal from being critically struck with Shake it Off with a sufficiently high level of DEF
  • Bug: Player loses manual control of tinkerbot if hitting a switch pans the view too far away
  • Issue: The reaper room returning to normal after defeating the boss or escaping is incredibly slow and sometimes hangs the game

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/315840/view/5557983326186044602
0.2.10! Saving, Loading, Game Modes!

HEY!

It's me again, the guy making this game! It's been a minute but I'm back with an update!
(Including for Mac and Linux users!! Finally!!!)

Full Changelog Here

This update adds saving and loading to the game! Currently (and probably forever) you can only save/load between floors, but now if you're having a good run that you don't want to give up because you have a bus to catch -- or whatever it is that interrupts peoples' gaming these days -- you can just save and quit out upon each floor's completion and return to it later!

2a547271c445fa0dd7402649ecb37432cc178799.png

Saving and Loading
This is something I'd been wanting to add for a long while, but as I worked on the Deep Dark and it became more and more apparent that an average, cautious run to reach the later levels would probably be an hours-long affair, the ability to save a game and resume it later suddenly changed from a nicety to an imperative. I want Catacomb Kids to respect your time, and not demand a disgusting amount of your day to beat.

So I took a (longer than expected) detour from working on the Deep Dark to figure out how to add saving and loading to the game. And as I toiled and approached a functional system, through my testing I came to realize something:

Playing the same floor over and over again can be
really gosh-dang fun

Game Modes
A lightbulb went off in my head. Besides the long time this game is taking to complete, the number one complaint I get is that it's just too hard. This has never really bothered me much, because some people like hard games, and in any case I'm trying my best to make it hard in a way that feels fair. But my philosophy has always been; if someone
wants
to like your game, the game should not keep them from doing so.

In other words, if someone sees Catacomb Kids and thinks 'that looks like a game for fools and chumps', that's no skin off my back. I'd rather they go play something the would be more guaranteed to enjoy. But if someone sees Catacomb Kids and it seems like exactly their kind of game, they shouldn't be kept from enjoying it because of a lack of controller options, or because of strobing lights, or poor color choice, or awkward ui, or even - in some cases - the game's difficulty.

So all of this is to say that, in addition to the classic
Permadeath
- which is still the default game mode and will remain so for all of time - I've added two additional modes: Continues and Generous.

7307362626b215777420ac0ad9a0cf8d03ae0f13.png

In
Generous
mode, you can retry a floor as many times as you want, and can even come back to it after quitting out in the middle of a floor (though it will still force you to play through that floor from the start again). You can't, however, earn Catacoins in this mode, so if you want to farm coins for a super sweet custom kid you'll have to play in the Permadeath or Continues modes.

91d684db85e47f459f027d1e6ff1e6078e0e9aa3.png

In
Continues
mode, you get to retry a floor after you die, but doing so costs Catacoins. Each subsequent death increases the cost until eventually you decide it's not worth it any more or you run out of money. My hope is that this mode might act as a stepping stone between Generous and Permadeath, or as a sort of failsafe mode for people who enjoy permadeath but who would rather get one or two do-overs after dying in a particularly inglorious or anticlimactic way. In every other respect it's just like Permadeath mode, however; Quitting out of the game in the middle of a floor ends your run, and you can still gain Catacoins from your depth and reputations.

a583cfb5fc7697921d594c43c84088cf545fa696.png

In both of these two new modes the gameplay is unchanged in every other way. That is to say; it's still the same hard game where you can get bodied by a room full of grumbuls or trip into a single tile spike pit on floor 1. But I'm hoping that these new modes will serve the manifold purposes of helping to ease people into the game a bit more, letting folks have fun exploring different solutions to the situations they find themselves up against, and in general adding to the different kinds of fun people can have while playing CK.

An example:

As I was testing Generous mode I managed to make it to the Grumbul Tank with only 2 hp left and a nearly-broken weapon. Needless to say it killed me. I swear I fought that fight at least a dozen times, always starting from 2 hp, always with a nearly broken weapon, taking note of every mistake that ended me until, at last, I emerged triumphant. The thrill! The rush! What a feeling that was! An impossible feeling before this update.

The Loading Screen (Doesn't Suck Any More)
33e1e41a6feb356f97dd1e6169467ee6f5a73caa.png

Lastly, because you can only save between floors, I needed to add a "between" for there to be. Previously the game would simply shuffle you automatically on to the next stage when you entered a door, but now you will be presented with a timeline of your run thus far, which will denote significant events like whenever you gain an orb of leveling, learn a new spell, beat a boss, etc. Shoutout to the viewers of my Twitch dev-streams for this timeline suggestion as I was brainstorming how to make the loading screen more interesting. I'm super duper pleased with how it turned out!!

Other Things You Cannot See
Another thing I've been working on a lot lately is externalizing all the text in the game so that it can eventually be localized. This is a mostly invisible change going on in the background, except for the places where I've broken something. The text may look strange in some places but that's almost certainly just a side effect of the fact that I'm tearing out a huge amount of hard-coded text and turning it into something more flexible. Anyway I just wanted to give a brief mention of this here because it's
SO TIME CONSUMING
, good
GOLLY
I don't even remember writing half of this stuff. This game has
so much
text in it! And so much of it is some degree of modular!! What a task I've made for myself. I was hoping to have that done by this update but that definitely didn't happen - I'm maybe halfway there - but just be aware, I guess, that - as I stated above - I don't want the any meta-attribute of the game to get in the way of being enjoyed by folks who want to enjoy it, and that includes (eventually) having a means of localizing the game into different languages. Which languages? Don't ask me that, I'm not there yet. One step at a time.

Bouncing back and forth between implementing saving and loading, externalizing the text, and working on the Deep Dark has been where most of my time has been spent this past year - besides my work on UFO 50 and some other projects. I'd put the Deep Dark at around 65% ready for release? So hopefully it won't take
too
much longer. If you want to see how it's coming along, pop into one of my Twitch dev-streams sometime. It's probably most of what I'll be working on for the next few months. Alternatively, if you want to avoid spoilers, definitely don't check out my Twitch stream!

This post is longer than I had intended, so I'll post the patch notes separately for people who just want to look those over! There are a bunch of bugfixes and other changes that I really hope folks enjoy!

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/315840/view/4141695629552823826
New Lighting, New Menu, Seeded Runs
Version 0.2.2 is here!
Hey.
Long time no update! I've been mostly plugging away on UFO 50 in these intervening months (Go wishlist it!!), but I've still been making progress on CK when time permits - in between moving to a new apartment and doing contract work.

Light and Shadow
Here we have at last; one feature in particular that I have dreamt of for years:
shadow-casting lights and line-of-sight based fog-of-war
!

63f2d55be12220d79e40bfed74f818f5f3f22fa6.png

4e4709c06267b65aeebc059cfa087a7ea9f94ee8.png

At long-last, things can truly lurk unseen around corners and behind closed doors! This is a pretty significant change to a long-standing gameplay mechanic, but hopefully it will be a welcome one. In all other regards lighting still works the same way; lightsources, once encountered, remain visible thereafter. It's still useful to toss torches ahead of yourself to get the ley of the land, but this change also has the effect of making the Wanderer's class ability, lanterns, and equipment that grants telepathy suddenly much more valuable.

Title Overhaul
The other main thing you'll notice is that the title menu looks...completely different!

a90149157da0012279d3d9b67ba8cf28cc3dbb00.png

I called myself clever with the previous version, trying to do something unique with a menu based on quadrants but it turns out there's a reason most games have a menu in a nested list format and that's because it's intuitive and easy to navigate. Lesson learned: don't reinvent a wheel unless it's really central to your whole deal. As it turns out, title menus are in fact: not central to CK's whole deal. So something more typical is warranted (and welcome).

Along with the new menu however, come some other new features:

Seeded Runs, etc.
Seeded Runs are a new kind of game mode where you can enter the seed yourself and play it as many times as you like. Unlike most of the other game modes, however, Seeded Runs never save (not even a little bit).

8464edb6fad031cab3ba60b050a2b5fc05913beb.png

Daily runs have also been updated to allow you to try them as many times as you want, though only the first run counts for earning coins. Currently the Daily Run and Seeded Runs are pretty similar in that they allow you to play the same seed as many times as you want, but I plan to eventually add twists to Daily Runs like "all corpses explode", "you hate all weapons", or "all damage is 2" etc.

There have also been a smattering of other tweaks, bugfixes, and general housekeeping too so check out the changelog for a full list.
7546620d0454fbc2919f87094030f039668a9a99.png

MORE ABOUT THIS GAME

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom