Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unkillable Cat's Unpatriotic CCP Mockery Thread (aka WoD got cancelled)

Drakron

Arcane
How so? I haven't really kept up with CCP news after I face palmed on their ingenious idea to target Dust 514 on console players instead of the pc as they missed the boat on the popularity of f2p trend recently and the opportunity to double tap their current subscriber base.

Its a F2P, like Dust and even if apparently is for PC, they are also wanting to put a PS4 version.

The real problem is they are banking on the VR headset and Oculus is going into the whole Facebook/Bethesda complication, whatever the result they are putting far too much hope on VR Headset and there will be Elite and StarCitizen as well, after all it is VR Headset only until the previous titles.

The only non-idiocy is being on PC but there is the question of f2p and subbers as EVE is sub and there is a huge chip on the shoulders of sub-only players when it comes to f2p.

Thane Solus

Arcane
After Dust, i lost all faith in CCP, these days are a mediocre company at best, they lost their way and most of the talented people. In the last 4 years they hired the most cluless managers and producers, from EA, UBI and Crytek.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I'm not sure how CCP makes money. Wouldn't the vast majority of players pay their subs with Plex earned in-game? Or is there something I'm missing here?

Thane Solus

Arcane
I'm not sure how CCP makes money. Wouldn't the vast majority of players pay their subs with Plex earned in-game? Or is there something I'm missing here?

And that plex is bought by other players for real money which sell to the players for isk, so they make money.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Jesus this is what bugs me the most, some of the people at the Georgia studio talked about how CCP was basically a clique. If you weren't Icelandic, then you were not cool and it was ridiculous how they alienated the people at the studio.

Sorry to fix your post, but I took me a minute to realize what you were getting at. But yeah, the stories I could tell you...

DefJam101 said:
I would absolutely resub if CCP reset the game but there's just no way the hordes of capitalspamming Goons and co. + whoever the other big blob alliance is at the moment (TEST? PL?) would agree to that. The major player alliances know the game is going to shit, they're tired of it, but they also want to keep their pixels. I bet even if you let them name the new hub systems or regions in the hypothetical EVE 2.0, or other cool shit like that, they'd still choose their fake internet spaceships over a better game.

Bingo, give this man a brofist. I've heard rumours that the current "head" of all things EVE, CCP Seagull, wouldn't bat an eye if all the major alliances would suddenly find themselves dissolved and penniless in-game.
If that is true, that means that there are elements within CCP that can see the problem, but even if Seagull were to do this herself she'd be overruled and then terminated by management - after all she isn't Icelandic (or male).
I've also heard the very apt phrasing that "if a seagull is flying over EVE Online, there's something dead floating underneath." (We don't get vultures in Iceland.)

Thane Solus said:
In the last 4 years they hired the most cluless managers and producers, from EA, UBI and Crytek.

Funny, at least 2 guys from the developer/producer level of CCP are now working at Ubisoft, and at least 1 guy is now working for an EA subsidiary.

Kouvo

Augur
I really don't care for a reset as much as I care for shit to be fixed, but CCP is simply incapable of that. Right now all they're doing is adding some minor features, tweaking the ui and balancing stuff here and there(not that's it's something bad) I just don't see them doing anything big in the nearest future, no major sov changes, no proper logistic changes, no nothing. Despite that I still find eve fun, or rather some parts of it like small/medium gang pvp, solo pvp and wormholes.

J1M

Arcane
Have some more imagination. They can avoid a reset and double their money from those who are at the top of the game by starting a second server with a separate subscription.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Right now all they're doing is adding some minor features, tweaking the ui and balancing stuff here and there(not that's it's something bad) I just don't see them doing anything big in the nearest future, no major sov changes, no proper logistic changes, no nothing. Despite that I still find eve fun, or rather some parts of it like small/medium gang pvp, solo pvp and wormholes.

The EVE roadmap is currently as follows:

# Finish revamping industry. (Minor tweaks, invention and reverse engineering.)
# Finish the "ship tiericide". This is a major overhaul of all ships in EVE that's been going on for a couple of years now. Only a few ship classes are left, but among those are the capital ships.
# Fix the unholy abomination that is the POS code (They've made some progress, but it's still like the darkest depths of Africa for them.)
# Fix sovereignty. (This cannot be done until the POS code is fixed, as the two are too deeply connected.)
# Fix T2 resource acquisition. (This will, at best, done alongside the Sov fixes, otherwise it's after that.)

Anything else is speculating with a crystal ball, but expect tons of minor tweaks in various areas just to give players the impression that they're busy and hard at work.

ETA on any of these, except maybe the industry revamp, is the classical CCP "Soon™". With luck the industry revamp will be done by the end of the year now that they're doing updates in 6-week increments.

Benjamin Clayborne

Barely Literate
Aw, this makes me sad. As dorky as it was, the WoD pen-'n'-paper RPGs were fun times back in college. I still remember the time a guy burned five points of Paradox all at once and all the furniture in the room started creeping away from him.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Aw, this makes me sad. As dorky as it was, the WoD pen-'n'-paper RPGs were fun times back in college. I still remember the time a guy burned five points of Paradox all at once and all the furniture in the room started creeping away from him.
mages would have sucked biiiig time in this game anyway, if at all playable.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Big news, everybody! Turns out CCP has some balls.

On the 30th of September CCP released the latest expansion for EVE, which due to the 6-week release interval on them didn't include a lot of "AWSUM" stuff, but anyway. On the weekend before that the big in-game 0.0 alliances jointly released a statement where they proposed how game development of 0.0 space should be dictated. People started wondering why this "Null Deal" proposal came about. Why would almost all the big alliances do this?

The answer came in a dev blog on the 1st of October, a full 14 days before its estimated publishment: CCP are planning a big change to the 0.0 lifestyle in the next expanion. (Start of November.)

CCP are nerfing what is known as "power projection", the ability for any big 0.0 alliance to be able to send a fleet of capital ships to ANYWHERE in the galaxy in roughly 15 minutes using jump drives and jump bridges, which are self-made "stargates". What's more, the current mechanics allow for these jumps to be done with little or no consequences, and to be made for whatever reasons. So frigates and cruisers getting pounced upon by carriers and titans is not only a thing, but quite common too. CCP's proposal is to put in consequences to jumping by introducing "Jump Fatigue", meaning that players will have to wait a certain amount of time until they can jump again, and that this waiting period grows longer for every jump made. The math is complex, but "as is" jump fatigue can quickly accumulate into extravagantly long times, with the maximum possible somewhere around 8000 years. Obviously they're still working out the minor details, but this is the gist of the plan. To somewhat counter this, capital ships will now be allowed to use stargates.

This means that fleets will now have to be deployed strategically, you can't just bring in a WTFPWN-fleet from the other side of the galaxy at the drop of a hat. Actual PLANNING will be required and the reach of the big alliances will be cut drastically short unless they spread out their fleets... and the players. Suddenly it will take some serious manpower to run a deep space alliance that stretches tens of lightyears!

It took 26 hours for a 200-page forum thread full of cries of outrage, sub cancellations, expletives, accusations, cries of pain, cries of joy, congratulations, high-fives, announcements of re-subs and various kinds of merriment to form. One of the better gems from that thread was when a player DEMANDED to know how CCP thought they could make such a drastic change to the game without playtesting or consulting a focus group. CCP's response: "This thread IS the focus group."

With this information in mind, someone went and took a look at the "Null Deal" proposal from the 0.0 again and examined their proposal in detail. Turns out that their proposals would counter and mitigate EXACTLY the proposed changes that CCP announced. Then someone checked when the last Council of Stellar Management meeting was, connected all the dots and the NDA-breaking mole on the CSM was discovered, someone who went and blabbered EVERYTHING that went on at these meetings to the 0.0 alliance leaderships. Expect a purge of the CSM shortly. CCP didn't just strike a blow against the big 0.0 alliances, but uncovered their mole(s) within the company. Hopefully this will have ramifications.

But one point worthy of mention is the origin of the power projection nerf. The original idea came from a former CSM member named (in-game) Marlona Sky, with some further input and revisions pulled from elsewhere. The "jump fatigue" proposal had been known and knocked around in online discussions for a few months, but it was not known that CCP was planning to implement it until very recently. So many of the "serious EVE players" have sent Marlona Sky emails. Threatening emails. The worst threats are not aimed at Marlona Sky personally, but at his niece. Rape, murder, the works. It's bad enough already that his niece had already found her backpack once stuffed full of stickers with the Goonswarm logo with the message "Tell your uncle we said 'hi'", but now he has to involve the authorities. Again.

Speaking of Out-Of-Game harassment, CCP banned a bunch of players lately with little as no explanation, only a statement saying that those not only found guilty of certain forms of harassment would from now on be permabanned, but that everyone associated with those same characters will also be banned. (A further point of note is that CCP refuses to explain what their exact criteria for harassment is). Of course several of the banned individuals came forward, all humble and innocent-looking going: "Why was I banned?", "What did I do wrong?", "How come I'm banned and that guy is not?" "OHNOES, I'M BEING HARASSED/PERSECUTED!!", etc. Someone finally caved in and told them to their face: We all know you're a bunch of sociopathic sadistic fucks. We don't want you in our game, so we're kicking you out. Don't come back.

And then someone posted these VERY informative graphs: The average number of players logged into EVE.

This one shows the past 5 years:
six-years.png

("B-R" is that large fight that made the headlines.)

And this one shows only the current year:
eve-2014.png

Someone said that the power projection nerf would bring EVE Online to its knees. EVE is on its knees now, this is CCP trying to save themselves from going under.

Let's see where this goes.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This thread needs to be renamed "Unkillable Cat's Unpatriotic CCP Mockery Thread"

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Big news, everybody! Turns out CCP has some balls.

On the 30th of September CCP released the latest expansion for EVE, which due to the 6-week release interval on them didn't include a lot of "AWSUM" stuff, but anyway. On the weekend before that the big in-game 0.0 alliances jointly released a statement where they proposed how game development of 0.0 space should be dictated. People started wondering why this "Null Deal" proposal came about. Why would almost all the big alliances do this?

The answer came in a dev blog on the 1st of October, a full 14 days before its estimated publishment: CCP are planning a big change to the 0.0 lifestyle in the next expanion. (Start of November.)

CCP are nerfing what is known as "power projection", the ability for any big 0.0 alliance to be able to send a fleet of capital ships to ANYWHERE in the galaxy in roughly 15 minutes using jump drives and jump bridges, which are self-made "stargates". What's more, the current mechanics allow for these jumps to be done with little or no consequences, and to be made for whatever reasons. So frigates and cruisers getting pounced upon by carriers and titans is not only a thing, but quite common too. CCP's proposal is to put in consequences to jumping by introducing "Jump Fatigue", meaning that players will have to wait a certain amount of time until they can jump again, and that this waiting period grows longer for every jump made. The math is complex, but as is jump fatigue can quickly accumulate into extravagantly long time, with the maximum possible somewhere around 8000 years. Obviously they're still working out the minor details, but this is the gist of the plan. To somewhat counter this, capital ships will now be allowed to use stargates.

This means that fleets will now have to be deployed strategically, you can't just bring in a WTFPWN-fleet from the other side of the galaxy at the drop of a hat. Actual PLANNING will be required and the reach of the big alliances will be cut drastically short unless they spread out their fleets... and the players. Suddenly it will take some serious manpower to run a deep space alliance that stretches tens of lightyears!

It took 26 hours for a 200-page forum thread full of cries of outrage, sub cancellations, expletives, accusations, cries of pain, cries of joy, congratulations, high-fives, announcements of re-subs and various kinds of merriment to form. One of the better gems from that thread was when a player DEMANDED to know how CCP tought they could make such a drastic change to the game without playtesting or consulting a focus group. CCP's response: "This thread IS the focus group."

With this information in mind, someone went and took a look at the "Null Deal" proposal from the 0.0 again and examined their proposal in detail. Turns out that their proposals would counter and mitigate EXACTLY the proposed changes that CCP announced. Then someone checked when the last Council of Stellar Management meeting was, connected all the dots and the NDA-breaking mole on the CSM was discovered, someone who went and blabbered EVERYTHING that went on at these meetings to the 0.0 alliance leaderships. Expect a purge of the CSM shortly. CCP didn't just strike a blow against the big 0.0 alliances, but uncovered their mole(s) within the company. Hopefully this will have ramifications.

But one point worthy of mention is the origin of the power projection nerf. The original idea came from a former CSM member named (in-game) Marlona Sky, with some further input and revisions pulled from elsewhere. The "jump fatigue" proposal had been known and knocked around in online discussions for a few months, but it was not known that CCP was planning to implement it until very recently. So many of the "serious EVE players" have sent Marlona Sky emails. Threatening emails. The worst threats are not aimed at Marlona Sky personally, but at his niece. Rape, murder, the works. It's bad enough already that his niece had already found her backpack once stuffed full of stickers with the Goonswarm logo with the message "Tell your uncle we said 'hi'", but now he has to involve the authorities. Again.

Speaking of Out-Of-Game harassment, CCP banned a bunch of players lately with little as no explanation, only a statement saying that those not only found guilty of certain forms of harassment would from now on be permabanned, but that everyone associated with those same characters will also be banned. (A further point of note is that CCP refuses to explain what their exact criteria for harassment is). Of course several of the banned individuals came forward, all humble and innocent-looking going: "Why was I banned?", "What did I do wrong?", "How come I'm banned and that guy is not?" "OHNOES, I'M BEING HARASSED/PERSECUTED!!", etc. Someone finally caved in and told them to their face: We all know you're a bunch of sociopathic sadistic fucks. We don't want you in our game, so we're kicking you out. Don't come back.

And then someone posted these VERY informative graphs: The average number of players logged into EVE.

This one shows the past 5 years:
six-years.png

("B-R" is that large fight that made the headlines.)

And this one shows only the current year:
eve-2014.png

Someone said that the power projection nerf would bring EVE Online to its knees. EVE is on its knees now, this is CCP trying to save themselves from going under.

Let's see where this goes.
And what about WoD MMO?

DeepOcean

Arcane
So many of the "serious EVE players" have sent Marlona Sky emails. Threatening emails. The worst threats are not aimed at Marlona Sky personally, but at his niece. Rape, murder, the works. It's bad enough already that his niece had already found her backpack once stuffed full of stickers with the Goonswarm logo with the message "Tell your uncle we said 'hi'", but now he has to involve the authorities. Again.
That is why community driven MMOs are never going to be large scale and stable, it turns out there are alot of sociophatic fucks out there. You give people, a little bit of power, even if it is just a fucking game and they go insane over it.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron

Where did you get this from?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
An EVE discussion forum where various EVE players, former CSM members and a few CCP staff on occasion talk about things without being moderated into oblivion or drowned in 0.0 alliance shitposting.

It's sorta like an EVE-only version of the Codex.

Drakron

Arcane
That is why community driven MMOs are never going to be large scale and stable, it turns out there are alot of sociophatic fucks out there. You give people, a little bit of power, even if it is just a fucking game and they go insane over it.

Keep in mind CCP for a long ignore and even encouraged such behavior within the game, this is part why EVE had such a bad rep and why EVE players do have such a bad rep by association.

Of course now its a problem since EVE apparently became stagnated with the way Alliances and projection of power worked, they need new players otherwise its unable to sustain itself but will this be enough? the stigma of EVE being EVE (a game you like reading about but not play it) will likely not bring many new players and returning ones might not be enough to keep it afloat, breaking Alliances choke-hold over null space just returns null space to what it was meant to be but that type of behavior that long been accepted if not encouraged have to be stopped otherwise one day someone will go beyond scratching some monument ...

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
An EVE discussion forum where various EVE players, former CSM members and a few CCP staff on occasion talk about things without being moderated into oblivion or drowned in 0.0 alliance shitposting.

It's sorta like an EVE-only version of the Codex.

Link?

EDIT: No link, so yeah, you're full of shit. There's no mention of any of that anywhere else.

Last edited:

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks for the updates, Unkillable Cat! I never really got into EVE (I'm more of a fantasy person), but I do enjoy reading about the endless drama going on in and around that game! :greatjob:

lightbane

Arcane
So, what happened with that story about the test servers being unusable, because of a bunch of psychos hanging out there stopping anyone from doing anything? How will these changes affect them (assumed they weren't already banned/it was a fake story)?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom