Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Perkel

Arcane
Is there a great difference between CP 2020 and CP 2077?
I think that they will make TW3 in the cyberpunk 2020 world, just with the different classes, that are not truly classes (just different unique skills).

It is unknown so far. Pondsmith was saying something that 2077 may be "next release" for PnP but those aren't precise words. Though i think he would be idiot if he wouldn't release 2077 as PnP in time of cb2077 cdpr game.

Perkel

Arcane
Soon 3 years since their announcement and no further info besides that they are working on it. Another Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever incoming?

They announcement was purely for recruitment purpose. At that time they were still less than 200 people and finding more than 200 experienced devs in Poland is no easy task. They hired lot of western devs from that time.

BelisariuS.F

Augur
I've just remembered that shortly after the game's announcement they've said that their goal is to make the graphics look like in this trailer

Good luck. Not in this console generation...

MoonlitKnight

Educated
I've just remembered that shortly after the game's announcement they've said that their goal is to make the graphics look like in this trailer

Good luck. Not in this console generation...

They probably meant it'll look like that the advertising screen back there

Beowulf

Arcane
Well, I was really looking forward to this, as I love cyberpunk in general, as a genre; and we do have a serious lack of decent cyberpunk games (some indie games seem to be doing pretty good job at targeting that problem).
But if this will be developed for consoles as well, I think we are safe to assume that we will get Witcher 3 level of PR mudding the waters.
I keep my hopes high, but will wait with purchase long after release, when I can see it in action for myself.

eXalted

Arcane
Some cyberpunk recommendations (apart from Shadowrun) so I can hype myself for 2077?:M

naossano

Cipher
Shadowrun Series
Syndicate Series
Satellite Reign
Invisible Inc.
Deus Ex Series
System Shock/Bioshock Series
Anachronox
Hard Reset (dumb FPS with some nice scenery/Music)
Ghost in the Schell Series
Beneath a Steel Sky (free on GoG)
Tex Murphy Series

PS: Didn't try all.

Beowulf

Arcane
Unless they develop it now, not knowing the next gen specifications. And they overestimate it. Then they change renderer.
:troll:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Although CDPR has built up some experience after making three The Witcher games, I don't know if they will be able to understand some elements what make cyberpunk cyberpunk.
It's a big leap for a company who has previously built three medieval worlds, to build a huge sprawling futuristic metropolis. CDPR is probably still inexperienced with shooting gameplay (I don't know if CP2077 is going to be a TPS or FPS), so I'm not expecting the gunplay to be the finest. However, CDPR knows how to do role-playing mechanics well, so I'm expecting some good C&C.
Maybe CDPR can team up with Flying Wild Hog Studios (also based in Warsaw, Poland) who have previously worked on the cyberpunk FPS Hard Reset, so the enviroment guys at CDPR can get some inspiration. Hard Reset had some impressive looking cyberpunk enviroments, but the shooting was so-so.
Mike Pondsmith is supervising the project and trying to make CP2077 actually resemble the PnP game in some ways instead of some other cyberpunk world, but he's just a supervisor, and many things may be prone to change.
Hopefully CDPR will take Deus Ex as a source for inspiration for CP2077, and try not to dumb down things too much for consoles. The 1.5 million TW3 pre-orders should have earned them enough zloty to not fuck things up (or make them even greedier).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Team up? They can just steal all their employees like they did with Reality Pump. :smug:

Beowulf

Arcane
Some cyberpunk recommendations (apart from Shadowrun) so I can hype myself for 2077?:M

Well, it heavily depends on the genre you would like to try.

Shadowrun Series
Syndicate Series
Satellite Reign
Invisible Inc.
Deus Ex Series
System Shock/Bioshock Series
Anachronox
Hard Reset (dumb FPS with some nice scenery/Music)
Ghost in the Schell Series
Beneath a Steel Sky (free on GoG)
Tex Murphy Series

PS: Didn't try all.

Those are all sound recommendations, but to each his own.
For atmosphere you may turn to adventure games, from classics like Blade Runner, to newer ones like Wadjet Eye games, namely Gemini Rue and Technobabylon, of which there should be a free demo somewhere. There is also upcoming Dex, which is described as RPG game by some, but I haven't played that yet. Beneath a Steel Sky is also quite often mentioned in any top cyberpunk games list, and you can get it for free.

There are some mindless FPS's with visual style that can be described as cyberpunk, like already mentioned Hard Reset, or the new Syndicate, some even count Mirrors Edge among those. There also is EYE Divine Cybermancy, which is gathering rather positive sentiment from the players, but it looks more like a crossover to grim 40K world ;). Master Reboot and Remember Me also have nice cyberpunk vibe to it, while being quite different.

There are also very decent FPS/RPG hybrids like Deus Ex and System Shock, but you probably played them already (if not, Deus Ex might suit the best from this list). There is an obscure one, called Utopia City, but I know it only from Let's Plays so cannot really recommend.

There are also some playable (YMMV) tactical "RPGs", like COPS 2170 and Paradise Cracked, which were developed by same Russian studio - I remember abandoning COPS due to braindead AI and sever bugfest, but I remember it had some nice cyberpunk/dystopian atmosphere. Along that line you can find Ubik (which was very hard to get, when I searched for it some time ago). Also Satellite Reign is fairly decent Syndicate "remake", albeit I have played it very briefly, but it is far from RPG.

Overall your safest bet would be Deus Ex series, especially first and third game.
If anything picks your fancy, take also a look at http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/cyberpunk-games/

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
There's also a cyberpunk MMOFPS called Neocron 2, which is currently alive in the form of a completely free (at least it was when I played it) private server called Neocron Evolution.
The graphics are from 2003, so beware. The population swings around 50-200 people, and is mostly focused on PvP. There is still enough PvE content though.
There's stuff like PSI monks, hacking into companies and the belts of dead players (when someone dies, they drop their belt which contains some of their items. you can only open that belt if you know how to hack), drones, and PvP can be pretty fast-paced. Most stuff like the weapon and armor market are entirely player-driven, you don't get them through rare drops or something. First one player has to develop a blueprint for a weapon, then another player must construct that weapon. Obtaining implants is only possible through other players who have a high enough Implanting skill.
The HUD is one of the biggest clusterfucks I've ever seen though, but you'll probably get used to it.

Unwanted

Fitz

Unwanted
Uplink.
^That's a pretty wide definition of "cyberpunk".
Cyberpunk is not a very well defined genre to begin with if you could even call it one. Most examples only have vague commonalities and range from scifi noir to transhumanism wank material and network stories as imagined by luddites.

Perkel

Arcane
Although CDPR has built up some experience after making three The Witcher games, I don't know if they will be able to understand some elements what make cyberpunk cyberpunk..

They only did best book to game conversion. I don't know how C2077 will end up but i think at least immersion fags should be happy. Imo i want proper party based rpg with turn based combat.

Chance of above after tw3 probably are 0.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom