Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
The acid test comes with Red Dead Redemption 2. If they don't innovate upon their last-gen console efforts, then nobody can and open-world is officially declared a pointless endeavour.
I would be quite happy if they regressed, GTA 5 was quire a step back in terms of side content to do compared to previous iterations and even what remained was often a pail imitation. Honestly they should go back to smaller hand crafted worlds as Bully is their best "open world" game with far more charm than anything they have produced since.

Bully was a masterclass in open world design.

sullynathan

Arcane
I believe the purpose you need in an open world game is exploration, that really should be it.

Exploration should be the tool not the purpose i.e. I'm not an exploration-fag bethestard. I need a meaningful goal to start exploring, if I stumble upon surprise finds etc, nice, but I won't go out and explore for the surprise finds themselves.
Well Do you need a goal every step of the way or an end goal from the beginning of the game?

Quillon

Arcane
I believe the purpose you need in an open world game is exploration, that really should be it.

Exploration should be the tool not the purpose i.e. I'm not an exploration-fag bethestard. I need a meaningful goal to start exploring, if I stumble upon surprise finds etc, nice, but I won't go out and explore for the surprise finds themselves.
Well Do you need a goal every step of the way or an end goal from the beginning of the game?

Both. Not every step of the way tho. Even Bethesda knows this and tries to fill their games with artificial goals i.e another settlement needs our help. CDPR did it better with well written quests but the quests are often too linear in part for their openworld lacks sandbox systems effecting gameplay & quests. And Bethesda doesn't utilize their sandbox systems with narrative. Now Obs will try to do it with time of day/NPC schedules etc effecting quests in Deadfire, we'll see.

sullynathan

Arcane

Both. Not every step of the way tho. Even Bethesda knows this and tries to fill their games with artificial goals i.e another settlement needs our help. CDPR did it better with well written quests but the quests are often too linear in part for their openworld lacks sandbox systems effecting gameplay & quests. And Bethesda doesn't utilize their sandbox systems with narrative. Now Obs will try to do it with time of day/NPC schedules etc effecting quests in Deadfire, we'll see.
I asked the question because I believe there is a difference with an open world action game and an open world rpg. How would you react to a breath of the wild that is fully open world where you're given a goal in the beginning (kill Ganon) and you're left to your devices afterwards?

Do you think Witcher 3 succeeded by having well written quests but not using its open world systems?

Quillon

Arcane
I don't know about Zelda, never played any of Zeldas.

Witcher 3 succeeded, period. But it lacked the sandbox systems effecting anything; its npc schedules, day/night cycle, weather effects etc are mostly eye candy, too many spawned NPCs rather than persistent NPCs with schedules to follow...but maybe the tech isn't there to be all that just yet, can't really blame CDPR for not doing better, its already very content heavy game with persistent quality.

sullynathan

Arcane

Witcher 3 succeeded, period. But it lacked the sandbox systems effecting anything; its npc schedules, day/night cycle, weather effects etc are mostly eye candy, too many spawned NPCs rather than persistent NPCs with schedules to follow...but maybe the tech isn't there to be all that just yet, can't really blame CDPR for not doing better, its already very content heavy game with persistent quality.
So wouldn't that mean the game would be better if it wasn't open world?

So I haven't reall been following Cyberpunk development, can someone give me a short synopsis of development? It is Witcher in the future? Are they improving all the stuff wrong with Witcher in any way? Eg 80% of the game being cut-scenes, and the other 20% having shitty gameplay? And the question on everyone's mind, will Cyberpunk revolve (get it?) around rolling?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
So I haven't reall been following Cyberpunk development, can someone give me a short synopsis of development? It is Witcher in the future? Are they improving all the stuff wrong with Witcher in any way? Eg 80% of the game being cut-scenes, and the other 20% having shitty gameplay? And the question on everyone's mind, will Cyberpunk revolve (get it?) around rolling?

The answer to all your questions is "probably". Nobody knows, but everything - what little there is - points towards some sort of CyberwitcherGTA hybrid or something of that ilk.

Quillon

Arcane

So wouldn't that mean the game would be better if it wasn't open world?

I don't know. Can't think of Witcher 3 as not an open world game atm. Thing is there were no quality drop between Witcher 2 and 3/much more linear to open world.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Dunno shit yet capt'n, wait for actual gameplay footage/info, fuckers are tight lipped as hell. But, given the success of TWitcher 3, you can probably expect more of the same only bigger. Open world, serviceable but not really good combat, some well written characters and quests, interesting story with a metric fuckton of wasted potential...this time with guns...and multiplayer.
Well, Kyle Rowley is lead gamedesigner, so take it from here...

Keppo

Arbiter
Found this on internet, idk if this is real concept art from the game, or fanmade with official logo but i never saw this before and looks cool and atmospheric.

Sorry guys, edited my image.

B5kTZtu.png

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
Don't link from 4chan, people can't see it.
Also, they just posted hard surface/character concept artist and a bunch of other job offers for Kraków team.

passerby

Arcane
Mike Pondsmith has trademark on Cyberpunk for PnP games for years, they'll get for video games it would be retarded not to get it.
It's same as Battlefield, Wargame, Wasteland, Scrolls and other trademarks, if they didn't register someone else would and troll them for a lot of money.

One could argue that trademark law is retarded, that would be understandable position.
But you cannot be outraged that someone wants to trademark a title of a 100M $ project, in an environment where these laws exist.
You people don't understand how real world works.

Last edited:

duke nukem

Augur

Trust uz guyse we wuz gud and shiet.
Go fuck yourselves. I'll trademark "DRAMA" and "HORROR" now but don't worry I won't be evil.

Go a head and try. It wont hold in court because you dont have any popular product that name is drama or horror.
Unlike series titles, titles of a single work, whether a book, periodical, song, movie, or television program, normally, will not be protected under either trademark or unfair competition law. This is one of the quirks of trademark law. To quote the USPTO, “Regardless of the actual relation of the title to the book,” courts treat all single title works as "inherently descriptive" at best and "inherently generic" at worst – unless the single title has had “wide promotion and great success.”
So basically trademark is useless if your product is not successful enough or does not have sequels. Even you would trademark horror, then people still could make horror games/movies/books, but they could not use Horror name. But they could still use titles like "Horror awakens" "Return of the Horror", or "the last Horror". But could not use Horror 22, Horror part 2,

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
I mean, sure, they have the right to apply but I don't understand how was this approved.
I checked trademark search, "horror" was trademarked and currently expired, "drama" is trademarked for various products, as well as "fantasy", "dystopia", some common words like "dragon", "magic". I bet somebody could trademark those words for video games. Apparently, it just works like this.

There's a shovelware "Cyberpunk 3776" at Steam, I wonder what are they going to do with it.

Gerrard

Arcane
I mean, sure, they have the right to apply but I don't understand how was this approved.
I checked trademark search, "horror" was trademarked and currently expired, "drama" is trademarked for various products, as well as "fantasy", "dystopia", some common words like "dragon", "magic". I bet somebody could trademark those words for video games. Apparently, it just works like this.

There's a shovelware "Cyberpunk 3776" at Steam, I wonder what are they going to do with it.
What would Brian Fargo do?
:troll:

Drax

Arcane

Goddamn. I had no idea it was so easy to just trademark shit.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Love how the catchy name will not only prompt an influx of more mongrels into the genre, but imagine the possibilities how 'twill reflect in the future, providing us with potentially interesting interactions,

hypothetical encounter in 2022 said:
- What's up bro?
- Reading Neuromancer again.
- What's Neuromancer?
- It's a cyberpunk nove....
- Wow didnt know there's a book too, that's awesome! :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom