Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Considering they revealed practically nothing about it except snippets here and there it doesn't really matter unless you want to get philosophical. Remember when Witcher 3 was going to have a VATS-like targeting system for specific body parts and then went the way of the dodo? I wonder if the same thing will happen to translation implants idea for CP77.

Hellraiser

Arcane
http://segmentnext.com/2017/04/19/cyberpunk-2077-pre-production/

Report: Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Production Till 2016 Has Been Trashed

Cyberpunk-2077-620x387.jpg

Cyberpunk 2077 is the next action-RPG from CD Projekt Red and while the devs have said they are not going to talk about it, some minor details regarding the game’s development have been leaked.

The rumor comes from NeoGaf user, Boskkee, who claims that his sources have told him that the pre-production done for Cyberpunk 2077 till 2016 have been trashed as a new game director has been appointed.

The Game Director for Cyberpunk 2077 has changed after RED has finished Blood and Wine (screenshot below), and according to my sources – please treat it as a rumor, as I won’t reveal anything more – the preproduction done on the game before 2016 has been binned.​

CD Projekt Red has high hopes for Cyberpunk as the studio has expressed that the game will be a bigger success compared to The Witcher 3.

According to John Mamais, a lot of developers in CD Projekt Red had worked on the Witcher series for a long time and they were kind of fatigued with the whole fantasy and medieval fantasy. He added that the developers are really excited to be working on Cyberpunk 2077 as it gives them something completely different to work on.

While Cyberpunk 2077 will not launch this year but the next game to be released by CD Projekt Red is GWENT The Witcher Card Game. There is no doubt that GWENT has been extremely popular among The Witcher 3 fans, but the developers did not anticipate that this mini game would be so popular among the players.

Cyberpunk is a Sci-fi action RPG in development at CD Projekt Red for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

As I wrote back in November

Basically confirms what I heard via the grapevine nearly a year ago. With all the hires they made for people to develop some systems from scratch it just confirms they trashed and burned whatever prototypes they managed to make while the bulk of CDP Red was working on Witcher 3.

I am actually wondering just why did they do it. Usually such a thing happens if a developer decides to switch engines, but AFAIK they're using their own tech again.

Keppo

Arbiter
As I wrote back in November

Basically confirms what I heard via the grapevine nearly a year ago. With all the hires they made for people to develop some systems from scratch it just confirms they trashed and burned whatever prototypes they managed to make while the bulk of CDP Red was working on Witcher 3.

I am actually wondering just why did they do it. Usually such a thing happens if a developer decides to switch engines, but AFAIK they're using their own tech again.

There are rumors that Cyberpunk 2077 will use RED Engine 4, so pretty much new engine... Maybe they started making Cyberpunk on enhanced RED Engine 3 from Witcher 3 and then switched for RED Engine 4 when it was ready to use or something and scrapped code from old engine.

CDPR employee had on linkedin something like this: GameINN Sectoral Programme for "RED Engine 4" and after some time when people found about it he changed it for GameINN Sectoral Programme for "Cinematic Feel", "Seamless Multiplayer", "Animation Excellence" & "City Creation" .

the thing is if they prototyped some things and it worked, then they can rewrite in again on new engine. I dont think they will trash things that worked fine.

Im more curious if they scrapped early pre-production stuff like detailed game design documentation, story stuff etc and re-made it after Witcher 3 release in may 2015. Because if they scrapped only code stuff, prototypes then i think it is for the better. They can rewrite it on new engine with better quality and with less bugs.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
At this point I trust them entirely to make an enjoyable action rpg.

If it takes a couple more years to develop, so be it, as long as the final product delivers on what Witcher 3 built.

RepHope

Savant
Not surprised. All their ideas were pre-W3 when they thought they could get W3 out by 2014 and Cyberpunk by 2015. They simply had no clue what making an open-world RPG would actually cost them. I'm more concerned that they won't keep things like character classes rather than fluff like the translators. I hope they don't simply make the Witcher with guns, even if I enjoyed the Witcher series. A new series should mean new mechanics.

Least they've got the W1 creative designer and W2 lead writer working on it, or so I heard last.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron

Perkel

Arcane

All interviews before indicated that they want Pen and Paper transition game like BG2 was. So they probably tried to fiddle with isometric view, rulesets, classes etc. at the same time trying to see if they can "modernize" those type of games into something that looks good like FPP games that will nicely sell. This is why they go hard on Mike Pondsmith etc. to keep fans happy.

Remember that Cyberpunk2077 hiring trailer was revealed back before even TW3 was officially announced.

This was naturally while they were making TW3 as most of their money and resources were put into TW3. At the same time they didn't know if TW3 will be such a hit financially for them so they probably planned CB2077 as backup plan so they didn't scale it out to TW3 size.

TW3 releases earns fucktruck of money and they seem to struck gold with TW3 type of game.

Which means they want another TW3 just with CB2077 themes. Thus their original concept as PnP conversion goes to trash and they start to make TW3 with guns.

I said exact same thing before even TW3 released once i saw PR storm TW3 was generating.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If what was scrapped was as bad as The Witcher 3 gameplay then good fucking riddance.

Lot's of butthurt generated by this comment. Truer words were never said tho. W3 is the best game ever made - best writing, best characters, best setting, best world design, best quests - except the gameplay mechanics. The combat is at best serviceable, the character development bad, the crafting broken and the itemization downright fucking terrible. Perhaps the worst itemization in any major game ever. If they sacked whoever was responsible for that disaster and scrapped whatever they farted out it's only for the best.

Paul_cz

Arcane

All interviews before indicated that they want Pen and Paper transition game like BG2 was. So they probably tried to fiddle with isometric view, rulesets, classes etc. at the same time trying to see if they can "modernize" those type of games into something that looks good like FPP games that will nicely sell. This is why they go hard on Mike Pondsmith etc. to keep fans happy.

Remember that Cyberpunk2077 hiring trailer was revealed back before even TW3 was officially announced.

This was naturally while they were making TW3 as most of their money and resources were put into TW3. At the same time they didn't know if TW3 will be such a hit financially for them so they probably planned CB2077 as backup plan so they didn't scale it out to TW3 size.

TW3 releases earns fucktruck of money and they seem to struck gold with TW3 type of game.

Which means they want another TW3 just with CB2077 themes. Thus their original concept as PnP conversion goes to trash and they start to make TW3 with guns.

I said exact same thing before even TW3 released once i saw PR storm TW3 was generating.

Cyberpunk was never going to be isometric. That's just nonsense. Very much doubt that was ever even proposed.

Perkel

Arcane
Cyberpunk was never going to be isometric. That's just nonsense. Very much doubt that was ever even proposed.

Cyberpunk2077 was literally hailed as PnP conversion. Isometric. top down or any other view is irrelevant to this case. You had game director telling in one of polish interviews about how they will convert whole game from PnP into game. Fixing classes, modernizing setting, challenge to some of classes that works well in PnP but could be troublesome in crpg etc. I said isometric because this is basically what people call this days camera that is not third person or first person. It was supposed to be what BG2 was to D&D.

Obviously like i said earlier when they saw bank after TW3 naturally doing TW3 with guns is better for them.

here cunts for all of you interview for polish gram.pl with Mateusz Kanik (cb2077 game director at the time) after they shown first trailer for 2077. I once translated key points somewhere here in one of codex threads.

some key points:
- systems based of 2020
- they completely ignore v3 setting.
- rebalance classes saying some were to good in 2020
- player character creation
- interviewer disses Betsheda on fallout saying Obsidian Fallout because Betsheda doesn't do RPGs.:D
- sandbox

Last edited:

passerby

Arcane
The combat is at best serviceable, the character development bad, the crafting broken and the itemization downright fucking terrible. Perhaps the worst itemization in any major game ever.
If they sacked whoever was responsible for that disaster and scrapped whatever they farted out it's only for the best.
I doubt they recognise, that they've underperformed in these areas.
They probably consider themselves geniuses of the gameplay design by this point, so I wouldn't expect any significant improvement.

made

Arcane
- Isometric is a third-person perspective
- TW3 camera can be modded to resemble an isometric TPV; it is glorious
- Ofc it's going to be be TW3 with guns, who ever expected otherwise?

Perkel

Arcane
- Isometric is a third-person perspective
- TW3 camera can be modded to resemble an isometric TPV; it is glorious
- Ofc it's going to be be TW3 with guns, who ever expected otherwise?

Third person camera in gaming slang is always camera behind character.
Camera used to show from air at any angle that is not 90 is called isometric

I don't write those dumb names. Most of codex people call fallout isometric game where it actually isn't (it is trigosomething if i remember right, don't care)

TW3 with iso camera ? i thought that all LOD, animations, models etc brake when camera poins behind FOV of character at least that is how it works when you free camera in console.

Sannom

Augur
TW3 with iso camera ? i thought that all LOD, animations, models etc brake when camera poins behind FOV of character at least that is how it works when you free camera in console.
There is presumably a little more work done into a mod to make a top-down camera than there is into simply entering a console command.

You moron.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Cyberpunk was always gonna be third person, possibly with first person mixed in. That's all.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

31:57 lololo player skill the definition of an RPG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom