Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
So when RPG Codex will get to interview Mike Pondsmith and ask the hard questions?

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Keep hearing so much talk about this, what about some actual fucking gameplay? or screens. Eh, hard to get hyped.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Keep hearing so much talk about this, what about some actual fucking gameplay? or screens. Eh, hard to get hyped.
Welp, CDPR can't just stop telling other to stop hyping CP2077 before devs planned to.

duke nukem

Augur
I wonder if they made mistake by making high budget cyberpunk game. I mean there is not many successful cyberpunk games or movies. Actually there is not many cyberpunk movies or games and most likely for a good reason.
Deus ex was never a huge hit even it is basically only cp game, so they basically has monopoly on cyberpunk genre and yet cant capitalize it.

Blade runner barely made any profit, actually most likely it did not when counting marketing. Both Trons went average success. First robocop was successful movie, rest flops(new went good). Judge dredd and dredd was both flops.
Well, matrix was hit, but that is most likely because its awesome slow-motion effects. But that is barely in cyberpunk genre anymore but more close to plain scifi.

So this might end in financial disaster for cd projekt red. Well, im sure it will not be end of cdprojekt when ea or ubisoft will buy them from discount bin.

Abhay

Augur
I wonder if they made mistake by making high budget cyberpunk game.
I don't think players really care much about the setting nowadays more than the quality of the experiences offered in the games. If CDPR succeeds in developing a brilliant "game experience" then there's no reason why it wouldn't sell.
Also, CDPR is planning to offer a seamless multiplayer experience, which should help to take care of that big budget for them. Just like ONLINE revenue bringing in millions in case of GTA V. Its not that difficult if you want to make more money out of games these days. If the final product is well balanced from SP to MP offering then a lot of players would be willing to pay for it.
CDPR has a great reputation and good fan following. Cyberpunk can become another milestone in creating sales records after GTA V given the open world mature of the game with a multiplayer offering.
I guess, that's the reason why CDPR are not revealing anything about the game, to make both multiplayer and single player content work out before they are ready to discuss the ambitious nature of the game.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I wonder if they made mistake by making high budget cyberpunk game. I mean there is not many successful cyberpunk games or movies. Actually there is not many cyberpunk movies or games and most likely for a good reason.
Deus ex was never a huge hit even it is basically only cp game, so they basically has monopoly on cyberpunk genre and yet cant capitalize it.

Blade runner barely made any profit, actually most likely it did not when counting marketing. Both Trons went average success. First robocop was successful movie, rest flops(new went good). Judge dredd and dredd was both flops.
Well, matrix was hit, but that is most likely because its awesome slow-motion effects. But that is barely in cyberpunk genre anymore but more close to plain scifi.

So this might end in financial disaster for cd projekt red. Well, im sure it will not be end of cdprojekt when ea or ubisoft will buy them from discount bin.

Interesting thoughts, but like Abhay said, I think it's more about the execution than the setting. There are not many Western games (nor were there many movies for a long time), but the few that came out were successful. And I think gauging by the attention the robot chick trailer got, there might be enough mainstream appeal for the game.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder if they made mistake by making high budget cyberpunk game.

The biggest mistake there is that now they need to make it some sort of multi-genre frankenstein's shooter-with-stats game to be able to sell it to big crowds who otherwise wouldn't give a fuck. That probably doesn't matter much here since it'll remind of Witcher 3, but it probably won't be very good at being and playing like an RPG with PnP roots.

Falksi

Arcane
One of the reasons that The Witcher 3 sold so well because Games of Thrones has cemented the low fantasy genre amongst the casuals. It rode the wave of a trend, much like how even average hair metal bands were popular in the 80's, but died a quick death in the 90's. I dare say Bladerunner 2049's performance, and other such cyberpunk tv/films will have a say in how it performs. If they currently released a Marvel/DC based game you can guarantee it'd sell by the spunkload.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I kinda want them to stop putting in new stuff and start talking about how they're gonna polish what they already have. Twitcher 3 was hardly a GTA game, and that was perfectly fine.

I dare say Bladerunner 2049's performance, and other such cyberpunk tv/films will have a say in how it performs. If they currently released a Marvel/DC based game you can guarantee it'd sell by the spunkload.
Westworld would likely be the closest thing, I'll be surprised if the bladerunner movie isn't targetting the same audience as the total recall remake and its ilk.

Falksi

Arcane
I dare say Bladerunner 2049's performance, and other such cyberpunk tv/films will have a say in how it performs. If they currently released a Marvel/DC based game you can guarantee it'd sell by the spunkload.
Westworld would likely be the closest thing, I'll be surprised if the bladerunner movie isn't targetting the same audience as the total recall remake and its ilk.

I've never watched Westworld, but I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for any "Blade Runner 2049" & "Cyber Punk 2077" similarities. Such as having a similar name structure :lol:

v1rus

Arcane
One of the reasons that The Witcher 3 sold so well because Games of Thrones has cemented the low fantasy genre amongst the casuals. It rode the wave of a trend, much like how even average hair metal bands were popular in the 80's, but died a quick death in the 90's. I dare say Bladerunner 2049's performance, and other such cyberpunk tv/films will have a say in how it performs. If they currently released a Marvel/DC based game you can guarantee it'd sell by the spunkload.

While I agree with you, to a point, Witcher is hardly low fantasy. Monsters running around, fantasty races everywhere, mystical magic stuff and curses. Sure, magic is "rare" but every plotine in Witcher involves tons of mages, so you dont really feel the lack of magic. Also, most of the plots are quite epic at the scale, concerning fate of kingdoms, worlds and whatnot. Quite high fantasy, imho. The mainstreamization of GoT did have an influence upon the success of Witcher 3 tho, thats for sure.

Heck, I'd dare say even GoT has left the low fantasy setting quite a while ago. With dragons flying everywhere, an army of zombies and all that "magic" stuff (resurrections, shadow magic, face stealing...) I'd say its reached "medium fantasy" level long time ago, if not even high.

Falksi

Arcane

While I agree with you, to a point, Witcher is hardly low fantasy. Monsters running around, fantasty races everywhere, mystical magic stuff and curses. Sure, magic is "rare" but every plotine in Witcher involves tons of mages, so you dont really feel the lack of magic. Also, most of the plots are quite epic at the scale, concerning fate of kingdoms, worlds and whatnot. Quite high fantasy, imho. The mainstreamization of GoT did have an influence upon the success of Witcher 3 tho, thats for sure.

Heck, I'd dare say even GoT has left the low fantasy setting quite a while ago. With dragons flying everywhere, an army of zombies and all that "magic" stuff (resurrections, shadow magic, face stealing...) I'd say its reached "medium fantasy" level long time ago, if not even high.

Would agree with you for the first 2 Witcher games, but - even though elements of high fantasy are present in TW3 - the main focus is a very mundane, low fantasy trek to find your daughter via finding a boat load of other people in the process.

That's an aside though really. Back to my GOT point though, just look at it visually. I've only just started watching GOT this past few months (so way after I've forced myself through TW3 for a 2nd time) and as I was watching it I constantly kept thinking "looks like TW3. looks like TW3". Whilst TW3 has it's own various qualitities, there's absolutely no doubt that it arrived at a time when the mass market was already lubed up for fantasy stories by GOT.

It's like a metal album hitting the number 1 spot in the 80's. It must be good in some way to do that, but there's no doubt that the trends at the time influenced it's rise too.

It'll be interesting to see if the teenies Fantasy focus shifts to a 20's cyberpunk focus.

v1rus

Arcane

Would agree with you for the first 2 Witcher games, but - even though elements of high fantasy are present in TW3 - the main focus is a very mundane, low fantasy trek to find your daughter via finding a boat load of other people in the process.

That's an aside though really. Back to my GOT point though, just look at it visually. I've only just started watching GOT this past few months (so way after I've forced myself through TW3 for a 2nd time) and as I was watching it I constantly kept thinking "looks like TW3. looks like TW3". Whilst TW3 has it's own various qualitities, there's absolutely no doubt that it arrived at a time when the mass market was already lubed up for fantasy stories by GOT.

It's like a metal album hitting the number 1 spot in the 80's. It must be good in some way to do that, but there's no doubt that the trends at the time influenced it's rise too.

It'll be interesting to see if the teenies Fantasy focus shifts to a 20's cyberpunk focus.

On the whole visual/matching point we agree completely. :) I'd still argue TW3 is high fantasy, since you are saving your daughter from elves from an another world, who wish to invade it, but, as we already concluded, we agree on the main point, so this little tidbit is kinda unimportant.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom