Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Re-Announcement Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Falksi

Arcane
On the whole visual/matching point we agree completely. :) I'd still argue TW3 is high fantasy, since you are saving your daughter from elves from an another world, who wish to invade it, but, as we already concluded, we agree on the main point, so this little tidbit is kinda unimportant.

:bro:

Sykar

Arcane
Modern cyberpunk is too clean and shiny. It lacks the grit.

Which is a shame. I remember what fascinated me about the Shadowrun novels more than anything else was the stark contrast between the "high society" and those in the "shadows". Where all the magic and the technology advanced to such a degree you could probably solve most problems of misery but due to the power structure only a selected few are allowed to harvest and benefit from those fruits. Average people are either slaves to the corporate machine which enables them to get some leftovers and scraps or they are at the bottom, barely better than squatters, or worse thanks to for example "ghouls", we have today.
One could nearly say it is grounded by the old adage: "Better to rule in hell than to serve in heaven".

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
That is why Deus Ex is not really a cyberpunk either.
Eh? It doesn't look that shiny at all if we take IW out of equation.

More rumors about worldmap size, class system and all that, in some podcast so take buckets of salt with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whoa there now... Repsec so the characterbuild doesn't matter and an implication the game will bore everyone to tears with its worldsize alone, that sounds awesome. :lol:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Well, CP2020 doesn't have any distinct classes to talk about. Roles are different only by their respective special ability. If you'd want a sniper Netrunner (or any kind of combat Netrunner), that wouldn't be a contradiction. That doesn't deny any character's build importance.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Well, CP2020 doesn't have any distinct classes to talk about. Roles are different only by their respective special ability.

Yeah I know. Strictly mechanically speaking they are that. But there are also the career packages and of course a good GM does make some distinction between a media and a solo than two skills (one each), that's applicable in a cRPG environment (and I'd say recommended) even if the roles were loose and overlappable in nature. And being able to erase you past afflictions and endeavors (but hold on to the gained benefits) via a respec, is just... it downplays the importance of the choices are able to make.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Yeah I know. Strictly mechanically speaking they are that. But there are also the career packages and of course a good GM does make some distinction between a media and a solo than two skills (one each), that's applicable in a cRPG environment (and I'd say recommended) even if the roles were loose and overlappable in nature. And being able to erase you past afflictions and endeavors (but hold on to the gained benefits) via a respec, is just... it downplays the importance of the choices are able to make.
Does this means that if you change your occupation you suddenly "erase your past afflictions and endeavors" IRL? No, it doesn't work that way.

Yes, rerolling does sound strange and degenerate but it might not be. What's more scary and prosperous is when you gather alot of free EXP in say, AoD, through thorough metagaming and respecialize yourself while keeping not just some benefits from completed quests but saving your own character sheet with every maxed skill intact. Plus by the sound of it, "free" rerolling would be limited so you couldn't respecialize yourself nine-to-infinite times to do 100% in one playthrough.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron

If you're going to draw that here you should also remember that respeccing to something else makes you forget what you were able to do before. From a cook to a Navy SEAL in a moment of time and forgetting how to boil an egg in the process.

Not like Steven.

under-siege-4.jpg

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
If you're going to draw that here
Like it's a bad thing to do.
you should also remember that respeccing to something else makes you forget what you were able to do before. From a cook to a Navy SEAL in a moment of time and forgetting to how to boil an egg in the process.
Not to that extreme but yes, skills that require practice for perfecting them with time would be forgotten. And an "in moment of time" is a minor game convention, compared to swimming in exp points and levels as a game mechanic at least.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Like it's a bad thing to do.

Not to that extreme but yes, skills that require practice for perfecting them with time would be forgotten. And an "in moment of time" is a minor game convention, compared to swimming in exp points and levels as a game mechanic at least.

So you used the "in real life" thing to your convenience and then conveniently excuse your own arguments form it. :lol:

Come on. You don't need to find excuses for respeccing. It's a silly mechanic that works as s crutch for people who need to play hours upon hours to decide whether they are having fun or not, or the developer failing to make gameplay with lasting enough intrigue to carry through and knowing people will notice it. If you like it, that's fine, knock yourself out. I don't, though. At most it should be something done in post-ending freeroam.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Come on, if they'd allow free respeccing available any time, now that would be really bad. One with serious downside? That's just more tolerable in by book at least.
So you used the "in real life" thing to your convenience and then conveniently excuse your own arguments form it. :lol:
I did? In what context? In a phrase " is a minor game convention"? Well, it's easily avoidable by sticking a "[some time] passed/later", if it wasn't that clear.

Zer0wing

Cipher
On steam? Officially 27%. It can be googled easily. There's also GOG and pirated copies, though.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected

Zer0wing

Cipher
Maybe you'll deduce something from this one.
Have one then - CDPR long passed the preproduction and system designing stage, prepared game locations and now filling the void with content and realizing multiplayer. On a crunch. Quality is debatable.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron

Yes you did, and now you tried to excuse that too with that "some time passes" shit as if that, in this context, had anything to do with your "IRL". But like I said, have fun with the respec if it ends up being there. I'm sure it'll come in handy with CDPR's skills at character systems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom