Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's market growth

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
http://www.pcgamer.com/cd-projekts-...n-making-it-one-of-polands-biggest-companies/

It's been a good half-decade for CD Projekt, the parent company of Witcher and Gwent (and, one of these years Cyberpunk) studio CD Projekt Red and digital storefront GOG—especially the last half-year of it. The company started 2015 with a share price of around 17PLN ($4.18), but following a surge through the end of 2016 and opening months of 2017, it's now sitting at 70PLN ($17.20) per share.

As pointed out by NeoGAF member boskee, That gives it a total market cap of more than $1.6 billion, and despite its scrappy indie appearance, that's enough to make it one of the biggest companies in Poland. For the purposes of comparison, it now sits well ahead of Capcom, which currently has a market cap of $1.38 billion. It also represents tremendous growth since the summer of 2016, when the company revealed that its value had hit the $1 billion mark, as Gamasutra noted, on the strength of The Witcher 3, which was still riding high on the Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine expansions, and—as always—GOG.

CVovDRnWTNriU7Ez8Z9jLU-650-80.jpg

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Still wont make them get Cyberpunk out on time, And kudos to GOG, steam needs more competitors. Gaben has been getting uppity that fat fuck just don't know how to stop mistreating slaves customers.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:necro:

I was thinking that these guys will soon have to start putting out games more often, and I mean real games, not card games. Apparently they are roughly the same size as Bethesda now, and according to this article, they plan to do just that after Cyberpunk 2077 is finished.

I get that half their income comes from GOG, but I doubt they can just bet on linear releases (as opposed to staggered ones) to always be smashing blockbusters.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
And kudos to GOG, steam needs more competitors. Gaben has been getting uppity that fat fuck just don't know how to stop mistreating slaves customers.

CD Projekt is hardly nice either; they treat their employees like shit.

Vorark

Erudite
CD Projekt is hardly nice either; they treat their employees like shit.

EA levels of mistreatment?

I get that half their income comes from GOG, but I doubt they can just bet on linear releases (as opposed to staggered ones) to always be smashing blockbusters.

I've thought about this too. Cyberpunk has been so hyped up but what if it ends up tanking (knocks on wood)? Yeah, there's GOG but by then Witcher 3 will be "older" and even cheaper...

Low-hanging fruit hasn't been their m.o. and Rise of the White Wolf already bit them in the ass but with TW3 they did gain millions of TW3 fans who haven't played TW1&2 and won't play them short of a remake. Something to pad out the release schedule.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
hope they put it all into female character model artists paychecks for cyberpunk

Falksi

Arcane
So long as they don't walk the route of the likes of EA - do what the muppet majority fanbase say - then more power to them.

The trouble is that - from The Witcher 3's bland, barren, boring junk-loot filled Open World & shite main quest - it appears that they're already starting to walk the path to the darkside of gimmicks & fan-appeasing tick-boxes over quality RPG elements.

The next RPG based company to see the rise which CDPR have done here, will be ones who remember how important a main quest is, and nail that aspect first before anything else.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
The trouble is that - from The Witcher 3's bland, barren, boring junk-loot filled Open World & shite main quest - it appears that they're already starting to walk the path to the darkside of gimmicks & fan-appeasing tick-boxes over quality RPG elements.

Has CDPR ever made an RPG with good gameplay?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom