Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CDN testing in progress

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Taluntain Codex has timed out for me around 25 times in the last 4 hours.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You know, this is a great opportunity to champion my old "remove GD" idea once again, for the greater good of fast Codex.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Here's the official take on that:

The IP address you came from recently had bad activity online, so CloudFlare will present a challenge before you can access the website. Here's what you can do to solve the problem:

1. Passing the captcha will help reduce the threat score associated with the IP address. If no bad activity is seen from the IP address after a two-week period, then the challenge behavior will stop against that IP address.

Of course, sharing your IP with anyone else is problematic as you never know what the other user(s) are doing. If they aren't doing anything malicious, it's only a temporary annoyance. If they are, I can't whitelist your IP for obvious reasons either. Not that I have much trust in CF's IP marking skills at this point, but as a rule I wouldn't want to whitelist IPs that could potentially be abusive.

So, if from the same IP a totally different website that happens to be hosted at CloudFlare is being abused/DDoS'd, that IP will be punished if trying to access a different website that also happens to be hosted at CloudFlare.. brrr.. would not have been my choice of provider.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I guess that's only a problem if you're abusing/DDoSing other sites from your IP. I'm sure none of the Codexers would ever do something like that.

:lol:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I'd say if you were you'd likely have bigger problems than mere CF challenges since things like that are now regularly investigated by the police even in backwards European countries.

Repressed Homosexual
It's really hard to get past the DDOS protection on Opera Turbo on mobile, the screen appears when it does not on other mobile browsers, and when it does it just gets stuck on there.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Okay I just have to vent a little here.

A few years ago every website was fine. Sure, sometimes they'd time out or something but whatever.

Now half the websites I frequent show me some retarded Cloudflare error-message half the time I try to connect to them or delay me by five seconds - if they work at all without having to F5 the page a bunch of times. What's the benefit of this to us again?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
It saves about a third of bandwidth or more and in theory makes things load faster for everyone by serving frequently accessed content from a server geographically nearest to them. It also stops a boatload of malicious traffic at the source, since it keeps track of malicious users across the entire CF network and extends protection from them to all the sites using CF.

The 5-second delay only happens when I manually move the site into the DDoS protection mode, though. I've had it on for about half an hour today to bring the load down. It hasn't been on for at least 10 days prior to this. And since you only get that check once every 3 hours (if I even have it on for longer than that, which I usually don't), it's really not worth any hoopla at this point. It's certainly a way better alternative to temporarily shutting down the forums here.

Once we're on the new server though, I won't need to temporarily turn the DDoS protection mode on as a load-balancing measure.

I might do it just to piss you off though. :troll:

EG

Nullified
It saves about a third of bandwidth or more and in theory makes things load faster for everyone by serving frequently accessed content from a server geographically nearest to them. It also stops a boatload of malicious traffic at the source, since it keeps track of malicious users across the entire CF network and extends protection from them to all the sites using CF.

The 5-second delay only happens when I manually move the site into the DDoS protection mode, though. I've had it on for about half an hour today to bring the load down. It hasn't been on for at least 10 days prior to this. And since you only get that check once every 3 hours (if I even have it on for longer than that, which I usually don't), it's really not worth any hoopla at this point. It's certainly a way better alternative to temporarily shutting down the forums here.

But I've seen it the past two days (only once, each day). Has the Codex finally drove me insane, Taluntain?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Okay I just have to vent a little here.

A few years ago every website was fine. Sure, sometimes they'd time out or something but whatever.

Now half the websites I frequent show me some retarded Cloudflare error-message half the time I try to connect to them or delay me by five seconds - if they work at all without having to F5 the page a bunch of times. What's the benefit of this to us again?

Cloudflare blacklisted you for dumbfuckery :troll:

Micmu

Magister
... and in theory makes things load faster for everyone...
Since most of rpg codex content is dynamic and uncacheable , theory, indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom