Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chakan the forever man

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Flying fucksticks of rape man, what is with these old Japanese games and ridiculous difficulty? At least it has infinite lives.

Both endings are pure dickery too. Nice classical theme though, so it's not really a surprise or anything.

Cynic

Arcane
This game was notorious back in the day. Good memories. I can't remember much, I think I only hired it from the video store for a night or two but it was not bad.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's beatable with savestates... but what isn't anyway.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
i rented it twice as a kid, i don't believe i ever beat it. I distinctly remember the music and sound effects being the absolute tits though.

Don Peste

Arcane
It was going to have a sequel: http://www.thelostworlds.net/BO2/Chakan_and_Sirens.html

Chakan_and_Sirens-Chakan-shot5.JPG

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Chakan was a fantastic adventure game, and I like the lore that makes up the back story. Chakan is an American video game and even had a limited edition American comic. He seems to be a twist on Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane character. I liked the use of mixing potions for magical abilities, and I found it addictive despite lacking progress. A very difficult game, and one I never beat on the Genesis version.

Lios

Cipher
sorry for raising dead threads
I was reading a topic bout blood omen soul reaver etc and remembered that I actually owned that game in Gamegear once.
A gift from someone I don't remember but surely he hadn't the best of intentions for my fresh pure soul and mind.

Nostalgia grew as I watched some Youtube vids of failures of the past and realized that I never managed to kill more than, like, 3 bosses? or maybe 2.
And it's one of those cases that the "Hey i was just a kid then" excuse doesn't work, I think Chakan would ass rape me even today or 10 years from now.

Nostalgia never changes but I suppose in some cases it can be refined into pragmatism, ergo Chakan now seems more like a forced gangbang than an actual FUN gaming experience. Still the atmosphere and music plus some bosses designs were top- notch creepy.

final boss after ice beast in the video decapitates generic EPIC DRAGON BOSS/FIGHT number 1298839 easily, as far as design/artistry goes

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I quite like that the game ends with eternally looping hourglass even after defeating death. It's very... thoughtful.

Lios

Cipher
I quite like that the game ends with eternally looping hourglass even after defeating death. It's very... thoughtful.

Yeah, also Death's response after you beat the game for the first time, after the credits, when he's like "Oh Chakan you know what, look into the sky, see those stars? Well they're full of evil too mate, so....well, I hate to be that guy, buuuuut you DID say that you would wipe all evil out, didn't ya?"

chakan7.png

pippin

I remember this game scared the crap out of me as a kid. Not only the difficulty, it was somber and dark and spooky. I was used to stuff like Gunstar Heroes :P

Lios

Cipher
I remember this game scared the crap out of me as a kid. Not only the difficulty, it was somber and dark and spooky. I was used to stuff like Gunstar Heroes :P

Chakan IS scary indeed, I think.
not resident evil 3 and then scary, more like Silent Hill 1 scary.
but i dunno, i found diablo 1 and fallout 1 scary too so

Edit - well there's one thing I certainly never missed:

:kfc::dance: SNES > Mega Drive/Genesis :dance::kfc:

as a nostalgic NES faggot who never owned a Mega Drive I object but wasn't shinobi and streets of rage mega drive exclusive ( or not SNES at least) ?
I think yes, so maybe Mega Drive had better games, Shinobi was fucking beautiful.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
This reminded me of Shadow Of The Beast, I'm sure someone has finished it without cheats on youtube, but that game is another one of those insanely hard platformers. I never got past that underwater stage. It too has awesome music.

Having owned both as SNES and a Genesis (two units, both the jap first edition that was bigger than the Xbox and the later one that was compact and had a controller with six buttons oh gawd its heavan), I always felt that the SNES was technically better by a slight margin (the sound hardware is superior, for example), but not enough to tip the preference if you like the Genesis' library better (multiplatform games were a happy convenience, not a given)

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
You see, the 16 bits era was so fun even the console wars was/is really entertaining to follow. Maybe because deep inside you know that both sides have pretty good reasons to sustain their word, but generally it's just enjoyable to see. Compare that to today's retards arguing about 360 vs PS3 or xone vs PS4, it's so depressing I want to saw my balls off and eat them with chopsticks, Jesus fucking Christ how I hate these last two generations, look what they've done to videogames

:negative:

Of course. Both the SNES and Genesis had their strenghts and weaknesses. Not even talking of exclusives—like Mario and Zelda on one side and Sonic on the other—but the same game usually had differences between the systems: The Lost Vikings originated on the SNES but I prefer the Genesis port for the extra levels, the little cutscenes between worlds, and the music by Matt Furniss; on the other hand the SNES had richer sound effects and better colours at times, plus the scrolling is usually smoother on the Genesis since it was more powerful than the SNES.

Heck, the common opinion is that the SNES usually had the upper hand when it came to music, and it is true that most Genesis music did not sound very good, but those who mastered the Genesis sound chip made incredible things with it. Many SNES compositions would sound weak by comparison.

[…] I always felt that the SNES was technically better by a slight margin (the sound hardware is superior, for example), […]

Yes and no. The SNES had the advantage for colours and other graphic tricks like the Mode 7—which was often used as eye-candy and little more but some games incorporated it in the gameplay in cool ways—and the sound tended to sound a bit more melodious compared to the Genesis’ metallic sound. But it was slower than the Genesis, and many games that were ported to both systems would often experience slowdowns on the SNES and a very smooth scrolling on the Genesis. Take Westwood’s The Lion King: on the Genesis it plays very smooth and has many parallax effects but also some dithering, very visible at times; the scrolling on the SNES isn’t completely smooth and it doesn’t have as many parallax effects but also very little dithering, and the music is much more melodious and even has voices—and I find the platforming on this version a bit harder at times.

Then again, once developers learned the consoles, they did amazing things on both of them. Many of the SNES launch titles suffered from slowdowns but these almost completely disappeared a few years later while looking more impressive.

Last edited:

pippin

You see, the 16 bits era was so fun even the console wars was/is really entertaining to follow. Maybe because deep inside you know that both sides have pretty good reasons to sustain their word, but generally it's just enjoyable to see. Compare that to today's retards arguing about 360 vs PS3 or xone vs PS4, it's so depressing I want to saw my balls off and eat them with chopsticks, Jesus fucking Christ how I hate these last two generations, look what they've done to videogames

:negative:

Yet people will talk about the Resolution Wars as they talk about the SNES/Genesis wars right now.

And yeah, I do believe the SNES was slightly more powerful than the Genesis (for instance, it had better sound processing, the metallic noises coming out of the Genesis were atrocious sometimes). Both consoles had amazing games though, and let's not forget Genesis had the codexian version of MK1.

Yes and no. The SNES had the advantage for colours and other graphic tricks like the Mode 7—which was often used as eye-candy and little more but some games incorporated it in the gameplay in cool ways—and the sound tended to sound a bit more melodious compared to the Genesis’ metallic sound. But it was slower than the Genesis, and many games that were ported to both systems would often experience slowdowns on the SNES and a very smooth scrolling on the Genesis. Take Westwood’s The Lion King: on the Genesis it plays very smooth and has many parallax effects but also some dithering, very visible at times; the scrolling on the SNES isn’t completely smooth and it doesn’t have as many parallax effects but also very little dithering, and the music is much more melodious and even has voices—and I find the platforming on this version a bit harder at times.

Then again, once developers learned the consoles, they did amazing things on both of them. Many of the SNES launch titles suffered from slowdowns but these almost completely disappeared a few years later while looking more impressive.

Whoa, I came back to this thread just after watching this recent video, intending to edit it into my previous post. Did you watch it too or are you a wizard?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Sega had the best mascot tho (not during Genesis and Mega Drive tho).

And I'm not talking about Sanic, but the one and only:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom