Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Champions Online F2P: Reloaded

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Yea, Oracle isn't an AI like RK said. She's a hot redhead who was violated by Alan Moore back in the 80's and she hasn't felt her legs since.
She can walk again in the New 52.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Took me 4-5 tries to create a character that I felt fun. Settled on Dual Pistol Gadget guy. Fun. Hit level 7 and decide to take a break after taking down Scarecrow.

US PVE

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I had a bit of fun spotting WildStorm costume pieces in the character creator as I watched my brother play it. For example, Maul's headpiece is there in its exact form.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
DCUO going free inspired me to check out the competition. After making a free Behemoth archtype, I was so impressed I decided to subscribe (if nothing else, making characters will give me 15 bucks worth of enjoyment). The game really seems like City of Heroes 2.0, vastly improved in most areas. The gameplay isn't as action-based as DCUO, but I think it's pretty good and it's definitely a step above COH.

Anyways, here are the first three characters I managed to make:

XYlWu.jpg

Crimson Shield - An alien robot that mysteriously crashed into earth and started acting like a golden-age super hero. I'm going for a tankish Power Armor/Force build. Basically, something between Iron Man and the Iron Giant.

ZGAaf.jpg

Patriarch - Might-based tank so far. Typical Superman ripoff, with an added 'immortal warrior' kinda theme. Costume is still a work in progress. The colors are blatantly ripped off the glorious Boston Bruins, but the chest armor is a placeholder because I can't find a set of tights I'm happy with. I might end up using my monthly Cryptic Points on more hero tight patterns, because some of them seem kinda cool. Alternate costumes will be historic warrior-themed.

MahKa.jpg

Swamp Boy - Beast/the Thing style powers. Nerdy kid gets lost in the swamp on a Boy Scouts camping trip, comes back weeks later horribly mutated. His next costume is going to be a more refined super hero costume, instead of the shredded jeans and torn hospital bandages he's wearing now. This guy is the most fun to play so far, with supernatural beast attacks and super jumping.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Huh, tried an inferno in the past, but wasn't very enthused with the combat.

Any more exciting archetypes you'd suggest a beginner to use? Bear in mind I won't be subscribing for a gold membership anytime soon.

Vaarna_Aarne

COH 2.0 makes a lot of sense, since Cryptic made CoH before they left ArenaNet and made CO as a developer-owned property.

Inferno is generally regarded as the worst archetype, as I've said previously. Behemoth is the most straight-forward free archetype, with decent variety and an active buff mechanic (and a good selection of powers). If you want something that shows off the various others ways you can kick ass, there's Glacier (ranged tank/debuff), Grimoire (hybrid), Blade (melee DPS) and Mind (ranged tank/healer/debuff). I've gone into detail about the archetypes earlier in this topic.

Personally I recommend just subscribing if you ever get some weird urge to get one of the Gold archetypes. With subscription you get all of them, and freeform (with the huge number of powers completely unavailable without freeform), and character slots, and adventure packs, and a ton of other useful shit. And only for six dollars more than the price of a single Gold archetype. (actually, one of the things I'm most curious about in CO is the figures on archetype sales, because I can't imagine a lot of people buying them unless they're deadset to never subscribing to a game ever).

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Vaarna_Aarne said:
COH 2.0 makes a lot of sense, since Cryptic made CoH before they left ArenaNet and made CO as a developer-owned property.

Inferno is generally regarded as the worst archetype, as I've said previously. Behemoth is the most straight-forward free archetype, with decent variety and an active buff mechanic (and a good selection of powers). If you want something that shows off the various others ways you can kick ass, there's Glacier (ranged tank/debuff), Grimoire (hybrid), Blade (melee DPS) and Mind (ranged tank/healer/debuff). I've gone into detail about the archetypes earlier in this topic.

Personally I recommend just subscribing if you ever get some weird urge to get one of the Gold archetypes. With subscription you get all of them, and freeform (with the huge number of powers completely unavailable without freeform), and character slots, and adventure packs, and a ton of other useful shit. And only for six dollars more than the price of a single Gold archetype. (actually, one of the things I'm most curious about in CO is the figures on archetype sales, because I can't imagine a lot of people buying them unless they're deadset to never subscribing to a game ever).

Huh, must've missed that in between all the pretty pics of superheroes firing their dick lasers. Thanks. I'll look through that first.

Well, it's not like I'm deadset about not subscribing to a game, just that finances don't allow for it at the moment, but I could see some people just buying one archetype if they don't plan on playing any other Gold types, ever. And yeah if I ever do subscribe it'll only be for freeform. And the extra costumes.

Vaarna_Aarne

Oh there's plenty of other reasons for subbing (or LTS) than just freeform, you get lots of other benefits, like more character slots (+1 each time you level a character to 40) and other benefits you have to get from C-Store as a Silver. Someone actually calculated how much stuff you get in return for an LTS (things that aren't in C-Store, like freeform ability, weren't counted) and the total was over 1,000 bucks.

Speaking of which, next month my LTS will have paid itself back!

... That is, if we don't count the fact I spend so much money on costume packs and such :oops:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I suppose I could save up for one... but I'll probably decide on subscription or LTS after I finish leveling one character.

I'm really impressed with the Barbie doll creator though. Can just imagine how awesome it's like with added clothes. I love playing dress-up.

Vaarna_Aarne

That's the biggest thing the game has over its competition. Add on top of it total customization all the way up colours (Gold members can change power colours) and with certain powers their emanation points with the choice being Palm/Fist/Chest/Head (ie, that big blue "eyebeam" Overman used that leaves broken ground under its path, it's normally fired from palms).

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Customization is great, but I wish there was a way to disable the graphical effects of auras/passives/whatever.

The character creator is a blast. I can't stop making characters. I get one to 11 and then I get the urge to try something else out. I respecced my Might tank into having skills like Room Clearer and Uppdercut and now I think he's the most fun, I think I'll try to level him up in between making characters. I love how open power selection is. I'm thinking about a sorcerer of some sort for my next character, but there are so many 'mystic' powers I don't even know where to start.

Vaarna_Aarne

With a Might character, the idea is to have the Roomsweeper and either Uppercut + Haymaker, or Demolish. Alternatively you can replace Roomsweeper with the slightly more expensive but more damaging and 360 aoe Havoc Stomp (which has a totally boss non-charged animation, which is essentially the stomp from the Endhiran trailer and knocks up), which is less useful for generating Enrage against one opponent but has a 50% chance to give a stack of enrage per hit with 50% or more charge.

Uppercut MIGHT seem bad at the first look, but it's got a lot going on for it... First it's the highest Knock Up power in the game, has a fast charge and it's dirt cheap. AND it combos with Haymaker to give 2 stacks of Enrage. It's an awesome power.

Generally the idea with selecting powers is to avoid redundancy, but have each power serve a purpose. Luckily this is really easy due to the vast variety available once you have access to Tier 3 across the board.

Actually, Mystic powers are often shared between the various sets. Sorceries share most of their powers, the two Supernatural sets share several powers, only Celestial is self-contained. So if you go Sorcery, check out the whole field for powers available. Later this month they're also releasing new powers for Infernal Supernatural, which is the thing delaying Cenobite from finishing his final build (I always respec carefully when I hit 40). Hopefully there's more chains to play with.

Once I finish leveling Doctor Universe in DCUO, I gotta finish leveling Thunder Jackson and Doctor Quantum.

Vaarna_Aarne

It's not even rumours bro. Back when F2P was launched Cryptic said when asked about it that they weren't currently planning it.

Nowadays you can't even ask about it on the forums due to the immense shitstorm that the subscribers cause from the mere mention of it, since they view it as some kind of an existential threat.

Vaarna_Aarne

Wind and Earth power sets are aimed for December release. Whiteout issue 1 will come with the next patch (probably tomorrow when they change the Archetype Rotation).

Vaarna_Aarne

Alright, just did the first issue of Whiteout. Can't really say much yet, as nothing much really happens in the first issue except setting things up for the story, the cutscenes seem a lot more fluid than before though.

Vaarna_Aarne

The Infernal powerset review is out, along with new powers and an Archetype (or two, if you count the colour swap). Whiteout #2 goes live on Friday.

Anyway, I guess I'll talk about the new archetype and powers.

The archetype, The Scourge (and its colour swap, The Cursed), is at least on paper a good one. A very good one in fact, probably the best Avenger archetype so far. It's got a great deal of variety in powers, but most of all it's got good defensive measures for a DPS archetype thanks to Ebon Void being the block power, Constitution Super-Stat. AoE options are plentiful (with the new buffing it got, Vicious Cyclone is a great close AoE, and you folk are probably familiar with the Breath family of attacks). It's also got access to a Maintain Hold (Crippling Coils) or a Paralyze (Locust Swarm) power. And contrasting with the Dragon Kick at level 40 the Master had, Defile is a considerable improvement, being a great ranged damage spike that also gives on-demand Poison stacks now. The only redundant power is the new Epidemic, though it does have a pretty high damage output compared to Venomous Breath and Vicious Cyclone, and causes more Poison stacks. Still, it's doing the same job as those two.

As for the new powers and changes to pre-existing powers, here goes: The big change is the inclusion is a stack for the Infernal power set to manage. This being the Poison damage stack. As far as I can tell, it is in many ways similar to Bleed, but there are some key differences: 1) There are no Ruptures 2) It bypasses 50% of target's defenses, meaning it might be really good against defense passives 3) The damage stacks are capped at 10 4) There are three types of Poison stacks, all of which grant the benefits associated with other powers (ie, Phlebotomist advantage for Devour Essence). Now, I just mentioned Devour Essence, and there's a key change there too, making it an even better power: Phlebotomist now gives 150% healing both with Bleed and Poison stacks, meaning Infernals don't have to use Vile Lariat or Crippling Coils advantages to work with it to full effect. Condemn got significant buffs to it, so it might be a worthwhile Tier 1 power for a change. Aspect of the Infernal no longer uses Knocks, but instead grants Infernal Strength stacks when you inflict Poison stacks, making it REALLY easy to build fast. Rebirth now has a 5 minute recharge instead of 10 minutes, though I still don't consider it the best choice unless you think it'll improve your PVE effectiveness, and it now causes more damage to you. All Infernal chain powers now get +2% damage for each stack of Poison, making them better. Vicious Lariat also causes Poison stacks now (10% chance).

As for the new powers (all the picks are of the Rank 3 versions)...

screenshot_2011-11-23-21-54-14.jpg

screenshot_2011-11-23-21-54-20.jpg

Aspect of the Etherial. New Tier 2. It's identical to the way Aspect of the Infernal used to be in terms of mechanics. The FX looks way worse though, as it has that same skin-level shit that Aspect of the Beastial has.

screenshot_2011-11-23-21-55-48.jpg

screenshot_2011-11-23-21-55-50.jpg

screenshot_2011-11-23-21-55-53.jpg

Locust Swarm. New Tier 2. Pretty standard charged Paralyze power, can get an advantage to have a chance of causing Poison stacks. Causes minor damage while hold lasts.

screenshot_2011-11-23-21-57-21.jpg

screenshot_2011-11-23-21-57-24.jpg

Epidemic. New Tier 2. Fairly high damage 25 ft maintained Close AoE. Pretty cheap too. 20% to inflict Poison Stacks per tick.

screenshot_2011-11-23-21-57-30.jpg

screenshot_2011-11-23-21-57-31.jpg

Infernal Blast. New Tier 0 (the power you can pick even if you have no powers in the set). Bog standard ranged charge attack. Inflicts Poison. Only useful if you're making an Infernal with a different energy builder from Infernal Bolts, as I would say it's preferable to Lash in a non-Enrage build.

PS: If any of you Silver bros want a The Cursed archetype and costume pieces, I have one to give away. I would prefer you to actively play the game though, since I paid real money for this shit (I had a moment of weakness and bought a load of those gamble bags they sell now).

Also, the new patch made the whole Champions world go BRO. Everyone speaks in all-caps now.

Vaarna_Aarne

Faggot has prepared a Nemesis for his future LTS character, Stupendous Fist:

GameClient2011-12-0201-01-08-02.jpg

Final version will have Oiled skin.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Seems like the only MMO that I keep wanting to come back to. But not yet. Lemme hit 18 first, then get my own card. Then I can buy life-time on my own (borrowed) money. :M

Vaarna_Aarne

Earth and Wind powersets are coming out for Christmas.

Attack of the Misfit Toys event comes back for days 16-31.

Whiteout is getting the Total (continuous, single quest chain) version for Christmas as well. Series concludes two weeks from now.

roll-a-die

Magister
j953mh.jpg

This was my first hero after getting into champions again, for the first time since the original beta tests.

Name is Regular Human Female. Because I was challenged by a friend who had played Champions before to make a Regular Human Female who was not at all a Qularr spy.

20ijs3l.jpg

Landshark, he's a landshark, not a salt water shark, not a fresh water shark, a landshark. He used to have a friend named Sam, Sam used to fire him out of a launcher.

2wnv243.jpg

Finally Dread Mage, my current main, I play her with some of my RL friends, I designed her to look like a stereotypical Tremere. With some generic Gangrel features for funsies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom