Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Chances for Arcanum sequel

Would you like to have a sequel for Arcanum?/Is it possible?

• I'd love to and I want to believe!

• I'd love to, but it's impossible.

• Arcanum was shit./No need for sequels/I do not care.

Results are only viewable after voting.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, according to latest events (I mean rise of crowdfunding and "RPG Renaissance"/years of Incline) how do you think, is it possible to make a sequel for Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura?

Of course, it is technically possible, but there are things like IP rights (who owns it now?) and interest of potential developers/gamers.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Of course, Rich Homie Cloaked is technically possible, but there are things like IP rights (who owns Rich Homie Cloaked now?) and interest of potential developers/gamers.

I believe DU does.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Might be possible under Activision's new "Sierra" initiative, but that also means it could be popamole.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The mess that is Arcanum doesn't need a sequel but a reboot (a proper one).

Unwanted

DollarSign

Unwanted
It all depends on whether or not Pillars of Eternity and Tides of Numenera succeed or fail. A spiritual successor would be preferable to an outright sequel, in fact, I'm kind of disappointed by kickstarted projects' lack of vision in that they reenact the RPGs from our glory days, instead of taking the best from that epoch and forming something new and unique out of them. You could have a fantasy RPG, steampunk RPG, cyberpunk RPG, post-apocalyptic RPG and distant mago-technical future RPG all in a single extended universe/lineup.

EDIT: Oh, DU, you rapscallion you!
Sarcastic-Smiley-Face.png

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The mess that is Arcanum doesn't need a sequel but a reboot (a proper one).

I agree, Arcanum was good from a setting and lore standpoint, but thats basically it. Also not sure if it has enough following for a KS with the funding that would do justice to the scope of the original game.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I agree, Arcanum was good from a setting and lore standpoint, but thats basically it. Also not sure if it has enough following for a KS with the funding that would do justice to the scope of the original game.

You'd have to pitch this as the fixing of a flawed gem to the hardcore crowd, and as "at last !" a steampunk RPG to those who never heard of the game.

Last edited:

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't think we'll get Arcanum 2 (because Activision owns the IP) but a 'spiritual sequel' is possible. Hopefully with Tim Cain as lead.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Never fucking happen.

I wouldn't want any of the current contenders anywhere near the game anyway. Inxile or Obsidian for this project is a goddamned No-No.

That doesn't leave any other likely candidate.

Last edited:
Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
Oh yes pls, but only if they don't let Sawyer fix the combat and char system.
RPG mechanics(as in character system) were fine except beauty being junk stat and few balance problems. Combat was horrible though.

Also - where's kingcomrade option?

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
'spiritual sequel'

The next person/group/dev to use this phrase is getting sent a bag of rusty nails on the off chance they puncture themselves and die of tetanus.. Fuck that phrase, because it can be interpreted in anyway anyone wants it'll never actually mean what any of us want it to mean.

No more amorphous statements in connection with quantifiable objects.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Oh yes pls, but only if they let Sawyer fix the combat and char system.
That's like raping an assault victim. And the char system was beautiful, it just had problems with balance. Which you'd think be his forte, but not when talking about Arcanum since his solution would be to streamline everything.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I don't think there's anything worth salvaging from arcanums combat, not the Frankenstein system, not the abilities, not the encounter design.

I really don't get it how someone could like Fallout, but dislike Arcanum. Sure, Arcanum is a more flawed game, combat is pretty shitty, and encounters/dungeons should be improved, as well as the character balance, but it's a great game. Maybe too ambitious for it's own sake, but that's one of the reasons I love it. :love:

Of course I'd love to get a sequel, even if it's only a spiritual one, with map travel and magic set in steampunk universe. Such setting is very rarely used, and I think Arcanum's was awesome with all the details and magic being at its sunset, while technology at it's dawn (at least globally, there is Vendigroth as a long lost "high tech" relic city). But I am sceptical of it ever happening, at least in the form I would want. Even if someone does pick it up it will probably be "streamlined" for "modern" audience (aka popamole)... :negative:

But, in the end, I want to believe!

valcik

Arcane
Voted for "I'd love to, but it's impossible." The worst case scenario is Arcanum 2 in Unity engine developed without Tim Cain - no no thanks no.

kain30

Cipher
I really don't get it how someone could like Fallout, but dislike Arcanum. Sure, Arcanum is a more flawed game, combat is pretty shitty, and encounters/dungeons should be improved, as well as the character balance, but it's a great game. Maybe too ambitious for it's own sake, but that's one of the reasons I love it. :love:

Of course I'd love to get a sequel, even if it's only a spiritual one, with map travel and magic set in steampunk universe. Such setting is very rarely used, and I think Arcanum's was awesome with all the details and magic being at its sunset, while technology at it's dawn (at least globally, there is Vendigroth as a long lost "high tech" relic city). But I am sceptical of it ever happening, at least in the form I would want. Even if someone does pick it up it will probably be "streamlined" for "modern" audience (aka popamole)... :negative:

a man can dream... i wish for that too

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Because Fallout maintains good pacing and interesting characters and encounters throughout the game, while arcanum takes a noise dive halfway through, with shifty locations, characters, writing and a general feeling of being unfinished.

Because Fallout maintains good pacing and interesting characters and encounters throughout the game, while arcanum takes a noise dive halfway through, with shifty locations, characters, writing and a general feeling of being unfinished.

Well that's why I said it was too ambitious for its budget. But it also had a lot of memorable locations and characters IMO, although it does feel unfinished especially at a later part of the game I agree with that. And it has a more interesting steampunk "Victorian" setting than Fallout IMO. Fallouts were better "fleshed out" but still had some shitty locations, like beginning of Fallout 1 (Shady Sands/Riders etc.) and I was a bit dissapointed by some late stage cities, like Boneyard. Fallout 2 also with Tribal village and Klamath, but yeah they are still great. As far as I remember Arcanum was a lot larger game than Fallouts. Too bad they haven't properly fleshed everything out. You could encounter some pretty interesting locations from ancient history of Arcanum's world. I played through all of it, with the unofficial patch, and it was a blast, never felt boring and uninteresting and always had some new exotic location to experience. If they had a bigger budget and Troika wasn't troubled (and with better combat, at least in the range of Fallout), it would be my favorite.

pippin

I woudln't like a direct sequel as well. I don't really feel the game needs one as it stands well enough on its own. I also think Arcanum doesn't have the same "catch" to it like Wasteland or Torment have, which could help with the success or a potential kickstarter project. A game set in Arcanum's world with Arcanum's mechanics could be nice, mostly because we need more proper steampunk rpgs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom