Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Character Screen

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I know, it´s the old character screen with a facelift. But if ain´t broke, don´t fix it ;)

Suggestions are welcome, as always. :)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Looks good to me. I think a horizontal stat bar is a bit questionable, but oh well. Also, personally, I hate white fonts.... I prefer dark green on black. But that's just because I am light sensitive.

Good work!

One flaw, but not your fault: "Mad scientists"!? WTF? VD, cut that modern crap out. Scientists weren't called scientists in the old ages; the scientific method developed veeery slowly.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I think a horizontal stat bar is a bit questionable, but oh well.

VD likes it that way ;)

That background texture feels overused.

Maybe, maybe not. It´s only used in the dialogue and alchemy screens, and in the main gui. The other option would be marble, but it doesn´t work well with text. And I won´t add another one, for the sake of consistency between screens. Or maybe I will. We´ll see ;)

background just around the numbers should be darker.

Good sugestion. Will do that in the fine tuning stage. :)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jasede is right; it ought to be "mad alchemist" or some such.

Besides that, I never tire of pointing out that Dodge, Block and Critical Strike are, by definition, Combat Skills.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
The General Skills section is a bit to "Busy" for my eyes. Maybe using a thinner font would help, but the bright white causes the block to blur before my eyes. Maybe moving some of those skills to Combat would help reduce the "white block" effect. Or, maybe having them take up an entire screen would be better.

Other then that, just looking at all the stats and reputations makes me very excitted about the game. I play for that stuff.

Jora

Arcane
Claw said:
Besides that, I never tire of pointing out that Dodge, Block and Critical Strike are, by definition, Combat Skills.
The combat skills could just be renamed to weapon skills.

Amasius

Augur
Claw said:
Maybe they should be renamed to Weapon Skills. The screen looks very good, especially compared with the original screen. Impressive work Elhoim.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

That´s a good idea. VD?

About the font, wait till we get ingame. Right now these are PS prototypes, and the text will be handled by the game, so it will end up looking different.

Well, here is one with a different background. I think it´s better. What do you think?

Number 1 or Number 2? Which one do you like more?

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Elhoim said:

That´s a good idea. VD?
I don't think so. I wanted to keep my post short and to the point, but I said before that much like what Greatatlantic said I find the General Skills column crowded and aesthetically it would be an improvement to move some skills to the unused space under Combat Skills.
Besides, I'd prefer an overview of all combat skills over only all weapon skills.

I'd like to add that responding to my complaint with "just rename the left column" is on the intellectual level of an ESFer. Semantics aren't the point.

PS:

Number 1 or Number 2? Which one do you like more?

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I don't think so. I wanted to keep my post short and to the point, but I said before that much like what Greatatlantic said I find the General Skills column crowded and aesthetically it would be an improvement to move some skills to the unused space under Combat Skills.
Besides, I'd prefer an overview of all combat skills over only all weapon skills.

I'd like to add that responding to my complaint with "just rename the left column" is on the intellectual level of an ESFer. Semantics aren't the point.

I tought you remembered what VD said a long time sho when you pointed that combat skills should be together ;)

Perhaps renaming combat skills to weapon skills (which is more logical since it´s only about weapons and their synergies) and adding a small column under it called combat skills with those three skills would do the trick.

Fez

Erudite
The second one is better, but listen to Claw and move the Dodge, block and critical strike to combat skills. That should balance out the two columns a bit more.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Fez said:
The second one is better, but listen to Claw and move the Dodge, block and critical strike to combat skills. That should balance out the two columns a bit more.

That´s not my call, but I agree it makes more sense. Anyway, there you go:

It´s a quick WIP, disregard any unpolished details.

callehe

Liturgist
i don't think it is necessary to keep the world UI at the bottom in the character screen, why not get rid of it and leave some space to fill out the char screen with some fancy art, patterns, ribbons, marble heads or whatnot. right now it looks way too clinical.

maybe make the skill description box bigger and fit in some fitting artwork in there a la fallout, if the artist has time and is willing, that is.

callehe

Liturgist
well, i don't. now conform to my wishes you pointy headed UI builder you!

jokes aside, it's your call but i think it just takes up space and you can't do anything with it, i reckon better then, to create a little more space for some artistic freedom. with more space it'd also be possible to scale things up a bit.

Fez

Erudite
That third one is much better. The move helps. If you hide the UI at the bottom that doesn't do anything then you have more room to display the Character screen and add or move around things for that instead.

sheek

Arbiter
Looks good to me...

All I'd say is that the 'stat effects' info looks a bit clumsy. I would have it show up at the bottom (where the alchemy desc is) when holding the cursor over the stat in question instead of on the page.

Fez

Erudite
The last suggestion by sheek would work well too. The player would be used to waving the pointer at things for descriptions and that way it looks neater.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom