Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Character Screen

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Third one looks a lot better, the General Skills section is less crowded and the combat skills are all together which looks nice. I like sheek's idea as well, make a description for the attributes show up in the bottom field together with the effects of your stat value. Hiding the UI at the bottom is a good idea as well, use the entire screen.

I'm not crazy about the horizontal attributes, but VD seems adamant about keeping them so I can live with it.

Monolith

Prophet
Great work Elhoim! But could you do me a favor? Could you stay a little consistent when it comes to textures you use?

Just take a look:

Could you incorporate the stone texture used in the alchemy screens in the character screen?
Could you take the stone texture used in the alchemy screen and incorporate it in the character and inventory screen (and all the different screens you're working on)? Same goes for buttons and the texture you used as a bachground for text in the alchemy screen. Actually, just take everything from your alchemy screen and add it to the other screens, because it looks absolutely great.

Besides, when it comes to textures, I still prefer the stonetexture in the way it's used here:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
OMG, don´t start me with that! :D If I went marble or bricks all the way they would criticize me for not having some variety. Besides those screens are somewhat outdated, since the background of the item box in the alchemy and inventory screen should be the same. About the background of the character screen, I was reticent with the idea of using a new one, instead of the one in the main GUI, but I think that the result was for the best.

Besides, if you notice, they are consistent to the main GUI. In the GUI we have Bricks and Marble, so in some screens I use bricks and in others marble, so that they have a distinct feel. And whenever I use bricks, I use the background that is in the item box.

About the character screen, it was a quick WIP made so that I could post it here and get some ideas. Thanks to you I noticed that it would be nice to make some fonts look like the ones in the weight, damage, etc. in the inventory screen.

Could you incorporate the stone texture used in the alchemy screens in the character screen?
Could you take the stone texture used in the alchemy screen and incorporate it in the character and inventory screen (and all the different screens you're working on)? Same goes for buttons and the texture you used as a bachground for text in the alchemy screen. Actually, just take everything from your alchemy screen and add it to the other screens, because it looks absolutely great.

This was my first idea, but in practice it started to feel redundant and annoying seeing the bricks everywhere. So that´s why we decided making the marble style for some screens and the brick style for others, and linking them together with the main GUI.

Durwyn

Prophet
I recall someone made character screen with all the skill columns in frames. I prefered that one. However your Char screen looks good to, Ehloim.

Fez

Erudite
Why does the inventory screen say that the axe is in his left hand when it is shown in his right hand in the image? ;)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
That's better. Maybe you ought to use a hint of gold though, make those captions stand out more.

Oh, another "old" suggestion of mine (since persistent bitching has proven wothwhile):

Remove the "Stats:" and "Description:" labels, remove "Value" from "Stat Value" and change "Effects" to "Effect" - the first three are redundant, and the last is inconsistent.

sheek

Arbiter
If we're going to get all faggy, there's stuff that isn't properly aligned. "General skills" for example does not start directly above the list of skills it heads.

God dammit, Elhoim. You are winning me over by sheer brute force. My mayor annoyance right now is that you seem to lack the capability to see that the devil is in the details. Whatever fix you do, there is almost always some new, obvious faults that you are able to miss. One example is the mentioned misaligned General Skills. That is fucking obvious shit that you need to pay attention to. Yeah, yeah it's a WIP, but misaligned topics is fucking embarrassing. Now, putting the angry face aside, my faith in you is growing. With the help of ever carping codexers like denizi and Claw, I think you could create something unique and fitting for the setting of AoD. Your work add to my expectations for the game.

One last note, you should not be so quick to disregard Monoliths notion of consistency. Try to settle on one background texture and experiment more with other content. The crafting and inventory screens are two examples where you took me by surprise. They still need work, but the concepts are great! Do something crazy with the character screen as well. Experiment a bit, knock your self out. As it is now, it crashes a bit with your other screen designs, both colour and texture-wise, as well as concept-wise. It seems a bit like you get hung up in one screen at a time and forget thinking consistency.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Remove the "Stats:" and "Description:" labels, remove "Value" from "Stat Value" and change "Effects" to "Effect" - the first three are redundant, and the last is inconsistent.

Good idea. ;)

God dammit, Elhoim. You are winning me over by sheer brute force. My mayor annoyance right now is that you seem to lack the capability to see that the devil is in the details. Whatever fix you do, there is almost always some new, obvious faults that you are able to miss. One example is the mentioned misaligned General Skills. That is fucking obvious shit that you need to pay attention to. Yeah, yeah it's a WIP, but misaligned topics is fucking embarrassing. Now, putting the angry face aside, my faith in you is growing. With the help of ever carping codexers like denizi and Claw, I think you could create something unique and fitting for the setting of AoD. Your work add to my expectations for the game.

Thank you. :)

About the details, I know about them. For example, the numbers are not centered in the squares, and lots of details that I can´t add at the moment since they will remove flexibility in moving things around. Consider these Internal WIPs that I share with you, not "Public" WIPs.

But the misaligned general skills was a complete slip :P

One last note, you should not be so quick to disregard Monoliths notion of consistency. Try to settle on one background texture and experiment more with other content. The crafting and inventory screens are two examples where you took me by surprise. They still need work, but the concepts are great! Do something crazy with the character screen as well. Experiment a bit, knock your self out. As it is now, it crashes a bit with your other screen designs, both colour and texture-wise, as well as concept-wise. It seems a bit like you get hung up in one screen at a time and forget thinking consistency.

I don´t disregard the search for consistency, but what I disregarded was the suggestion of having bricks in every screen ("Could you incorporate the stone texture used in the alchemy screens in the character screen?").

I´m in the lookout for consistency but using two different styles: Marble and Bricks.

Elhoim said:
Vault Dweller said:
The last one is awesome. Thanks, Elhoim.

:D
Don't listen to him! Do something funky with this thing. Think out of the box, experiment, go crazy and all that shit. While functional and everything, it's still (almost) as boring as the original. Even if this ends up being the final one, present something completely different as well! As you said, you're in compulsive-mode again. We've all seen you potential when you do that (i.e. the crafting/alchemy screens), so do us all a favor and do it with this one too!

And by the way, the various reputations under General Reputations is also misaligned in the "awesome" version. :)

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Don´t worry, it won´t stay this way. ;)

I tried several things that I didn´t post, but I didn´t like them and went back to this one. Anyway, I´m at work right now. I´ll see what I can do when I get home.

Elhoim said:
Don´t worry, it won´t stay this way. ;)

I tried several things that I didn´t post, but I didn´t like them and went back to this one. Anyway, I´m at work right now. I´ll see what I can do when I get home.
You need to tune down the frequency of those wink-emoticons. Other than that it seems like you're right on track! :wink:

Wild Slop

Arcane
How about ...

*removed*

Unless those 3 skills have a "synergy" ability , I think it would be best to group them in line with the other general skills.

The description box in the corner could be dressed up differently , but whatever.

The red line is for a question:

Does everything below this line have to be there in the charter screen (or any of the menu screens) ?

If not , get rid of it (space stuff out /down a little from each other)

Just change how the little menu icons (to switch between different menus) are presented … once inside the menu screens.

another thing

I don’t think the mad scientists changed to mad alchemist is entirely needed (what do I know maybe it is)
One thing for sure, to me, it don’t have the same ring about it- seems more like an unnecessary avoidance in using the word.
But maybe it does fit - do they not considered themselves scientists?
Do they know what science is (in any sense, even if its just alchemy) ?
Or has the word “science” been taken out of the lexicon along with everything else that goes with it?

dont get me wrong
other then just commenting on the "ring" or it, i'm not hung up on this

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I think that the three combat skills without synergies need to have the number box lined up with the rest of the combat skills.

I like the marble on the last one.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I find the information too cluttered, the screen lacks organisation, and style. Harsh but true. It bothered me so much that I had to take action and use my rusty shitty photoshop skills. See below.

A bit of grouping helps a lot. My edit doesn't take in account background colors or fonts, but even though the contrast is lower between text and background in mine, it's clearer. Replace the "Ingredient" titles with Combat skills, General skills, Reputation and Traits & ranks respectively. It might also be better with the titles outside the "skill/reputation/trait boxes".

I did not touch the top of the screen, but it also begs for an overhaul.

The bounding boxes for the skill numbers are shit too. Use imagination. What about a rock/brick with the number ingraved in them? Same for the stats.

I just remembered I forgot to include the available skill points. But that wasn't the point.

characterscreentestju1.jpg

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Interesting proposition Ismaul, I will borrow some ideas from it ;)

The bounding boxes for the skill numbers are shit too. Use imagination. What about a rock/brick with the number ingraved in them?

Remember that those numbers aren´t static, and they are rendered by simple text in game. I can engrave them in PS, but it won´t work ingame.

Wild Slop

Arcane
After 2nd look I see my points were brought up (and my picture was just the 1st with the description box moved to corner )
Still I think getting rid of the unnecessary bottom part would be worth a try.

I like the above suggestion, though there might be too many groupings .
I think, keep the first two, and combine the last two into just one (as they are part of an over all word rep. kinda thing).
There is a clutter look, mainly because its all being crammed into less of a screen space with that bottom part still being there.

and again those 3 moved combat skills don’t seem to have a "synergy" ability
so i find them a little out of place- I‘d say them back and try going with the above.

Wild Slop

Arcane
taking off Ismauls one …

chrscreen2.jpg

bottom HUD in menu taken out

Arrows at top for next and previous menu

“Character” instead could just be the guys name in which case the name where I have it wouldn’t be there

Non-weapon/non synergies skills moved out of combat and back to general

Assuming each one of those picture icons represents a menu on the HUD removed
have a piece of broken pillar / rubble have one of each there a little icon there but I didn’t like so thought about just having it there in bottom center

If it would go in the rubble the alternative place in middle could be where a little graphic for whatevers being selected would display

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom