Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Character Screen

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Forget about the last screen, here there is one that will blow your mind.

I present you the Character Screen for Decadent Effect! (Yeah, the game should be renamed like that. Sounds more cool!).

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Extreme alchemists :twisted:

On a serious note, I find the boxes better, but maybe they'd be even more with a little less noise and satruration/contrast. Maybe it's just me now, but I'd make them fade a bit in the background, or in this case, jump less at our eyes.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Extremely nice, Elhoim. ;)

Relien said:
I have to disagree with that. There actually exists something like a "mouse movement laziness" if it's connected with actions you could do often - like tweaking skill point increases during levelling up. It would be more convenient to have the "+"/"-" buttons next to each other. Just keep the "+" on the right of the number box and eventually display "-" right next to it.
Do you really think you'll often put points into a skill and then remove them again? How much effort would that be, anyway? You increase a skill by a few points, then maybe reduce it again. And then, maybe, you're even increasing it again by one or two points because you accidentally reduced it too much. That's kind of the worst case scenario I see. I mean, how lazy can you be? Maybe you want VD to come over to move the mouse for you?

Ah well. I don't prefer it, but I'll live either way. It just seems silly.

Gruu

Novice
Elhoim said:
A new WIP for your pleasure. Inverted the plus and minus buttons and changed the number boxes.

<cool>

The Combat Skills column still doesn't look quite right to me. How would it look if you moved the stats for the weapons a bit to the right and the brought the non-weapon skills to the left, so all of them were left-aligned? Perhaps you could shrink the General Skills column a bit as well to prevent the text and stats on the left from getting cramped.

A couple more crazy ideas :idea: ... what about + on the right of the stat and - on the left? Would that just reduce usability and aesthetics? Finally, an even more crazy (stupid?) idea: What if, like with all other skills, the left number for the weapons represented the number of skill points invested while the right number represented that number + synergies, i.e. effective skill value? So for example, Sword would say 30 instead of 46, and the current 16 would say 46.

Thanks! :)

Relien

Scholar
Claw said:
Maybe you want VD to come over to move the mouse for you?
Of course. If we won't be able to subscribe for the unlimited and free mouse-moving service once the game is out, I'm not buying it. Iron tower has to think about the fans! :)

Perhaps I made it sound more essentially than I wanted to, but a GUI element with two separated clicking areas seemed a little less convenient to me and I didn't see any aesthetic advantage of it.

Eh, never mind.

Fez

Erudite
EXTREME killer! I hope that rank is really in the game and you aren't just teasing us.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Gruu said:
What if, like with all other skills, the left number for the weapons represented the number of skill points invested while the right number represented that number + synergies, i.e. effective skill value?
Adding is teh hard! :P

But seriously, I think the idea has got merit. A plus for clarity. Seeing the effective skill level seems natural and convenient, instead of seeing parts of it there and there. Or do I get it wrong, and I don't know which number is currently on the left? (is it currently the effective skill level, or the skill points invested in it?)

Apart from that, I'm starting to lean towards Relien's opinion (which was my original one) about the + and -. Usability comes before esthetics, and there isn't really an esthetic concern there.

Gruu

Novice
Ismaul said:
But seriously, I think the idea has got merit.
Thanks. :)

Ismaul said:
is it currently the effective skill level, or the skill points invested in it?
I believe it's effective on the left.

Ismaul said:
Apart from that, I'm starting to lean towards Relien's opinion (which was my original one) about the + and -. Usability comes before esthetics, and there isn't really an esthetic concern there.
Something else occurred to me about the +/- option: What about the mouse scroll wheel? It seems like a very natural fit and it means you don't need to use real estate for the buttons.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Gruu said:
Something else occurred to me about the +/- option: What about the mouse scroll wheel? It seems like a very natural fit and it means you don't need to use real estate for the buttons.
Maybe, but not everyone has a scroll wheel.

Fez

Erudite
Do they still sell mice without scroll wheels (outside of the Mac)? Why?

Gruu

Novice
Ismaul said:
Maybe, but not everyone has a scroll wheel.
Perhaps not <I>everyone</I> does, but I imagine that by now <I>almost</I> everyone does. That said, I see what you're getting at, and there would need to be an alternative method like up/down or left/right arrow keys. For the common case, though, the scroll wheel might be worth checking out. It's supported in standard Windows spinboxes like the one where you say how many copies of something you want to print.

Mr Happy

Scholar
So, what exactly is the "Quaestor" trait? Some sort of political rank?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
In Rome, a Quaestor oversaw the treasuries and finances, so it's not a stretch to assume that the same applies here. Maybe it's a job title you can get, or it's a reputation you get if you're famous for your ability to handle money.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Mr Happy said:
So, what exactly is the "Quaestor" trait? Some sort of political rank?
Means "the money guy":

plural Quaestors, or Quaestores, the lowest ranking regular magistrate in ancient Rome, whose traditional responsibility was the treasury.

There are many ways one can serve a Noble House. Some characters maybe good at combat, some are great diplomats or spies, and some are good with money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom