Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

GreyViper

Prophet
Revision to GreyViper's suggestion: After telling Irene about all of this, put down the shard in plain sight, back away from it with arms raised, and attempt to make contact with the child again. Assure it that we're not a bad guy and try to talk with it some more, maybe coax more information about the Third House, Avarlos, and "She" out of it.

(I really don't want to use the shard's power to find the mansion again - we might really piss "She" off if we come trampling into the grove again AND we don't know if the mansion or the keep is the Third House the kid keeps referring to.)
+1
Heh should have thought of that myself.:D

Baltika9

Arcane
I still think we should try to talk to the shard, in private of course. If it worked on the door, it may work on the shard. Maybe the presence is inside of it.

GreyViper

Prophet
I'm not sure its sentient, but the danger it represents is. If you recall Vernydar asking down the road, where we wanted to keep the shard, now it kind of makes sense.
Yet you are right Baltika9 we should try out every option, so lets try talking to it later.

Anabanana

Augur
I'm not sure its sentient, but the danger it represents is. If you recall Vernydar asking down the road, where we wanted to keep the shard, now it kind of makes sense.
Yet you are right Baltika9 we should try out every option, so lets try talking to it later.

Thirding this.

Vernydar

Learned
Vote closed. Update will be up in 1-2 hours.

A note. If you would all be so kind as to edit your original post when you flip/flop.

Either change your first post, or "cross it" and make a new one. Please, it's rather hard to count when there are flip flops if the information is dispersed in various posts.

Thanks.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Its kind of hard to know what option is winning when everyone is seconding and giving plusses to someone elses suggestions. Luckily I don't have to count those votes.

Vernydar

Learned
First, an important notice. I decided to switch to 3-4 regular updates a week. I'll try to do one every other day, but please understand I might miss some. Reason for this is my being busy with real life, so trying to do a daily update would mean staying up very late, and more generally risking it being a chore instead of something fun. This week already has been quite hard. I hope you will understand, doing this is the only way for me to guarantee I will write for a long time. I will still try to answer all your questions when you can reasonably know the answer.

Also, please try to make sure one post contains all your votes. With the flip flops, it's hard to keep track, edit your first post or make a new one, just so long it is easy to count. Thanks.

That said, it was a very entertaining and stimulating debate. I will try to keep in mind everything you wrote as usual.
First choice, C won with 9 votes. All in all 12 out of 17 people wanted to tell Irene everything. But you will try to convince her to let you keep the metal artifact (and yes, there was a reason if I was calling it an artifact all along :P)
Second choice, 1 wins with 8 votes +2 of a variant. You will keep it on yourself, but try to find a container to transport it.
Third choice, c wins by very large majority. You will go and take a look at the keep.
Another proposal with enough support is: copy down the writings on the tombstones before going

75 – A majestic inscription

You decide that you can no longer keep silent. Dangerous as it is, you think this is the last time to be honest with Irene and tell her everything. If you do so now, you still have a chance to keep her trust, and you think her knowing might be invaluable.

So, with a serious expression on your face, you tell Irene that you have to talk to her, and start to spin your tale. You tell her about the shard, how you came into possession of it, and what happened to it during your journey up till now. You tell her of the blue and purple flames at Nokos, and the icy temperature it had before the flaming patterns in the courtyard. You tell her of your not-feeling-alone, twice on the road and then here before the mansion. And finally you tell her of the voice, of what it told you.

You do try to make sure she understand that you kept silent before because of cautiousness and because you did not think you would be believed. It all sounds like a crazy tale after all. You also point out that you considered it a family heirloom, and before coming to this place you never thought it to be something related to Avarlos or this place in any way. You also ask that she lets you keep the artifact for now. After all it is most likely thanks to it that you found this place, and for now it did more good than bad. Also, you are not entirely sure you can trust this voice yet, so no reason to go ballistic and throw it away for now.

She listens to you impassively, then sighs and talk to you with a rather... tense voice
"Very well Kyoss, I understand your reasoning, the logic of your decisions. So, I will let it slide for this time. But never, never again keep something hidden from me when I risk the lives of my men. Now, let us see this "metal artifact" of yours."

You nod, she seems annoyed but not too angry. You think telling her was a wise choice as far as keeping her trust goes. You take the artifact our of your pocket and unwrap it. It seems like an unremarkable lump of dark metal, but you know better. She holds out her hand, but suddenly a blue and purple flame shoots out from the artifact. Astonished, you let it fall on the ground, where it keeps burning. The flames are unmistakably the same ones you saw inside the skeletons. Irene eyes the metal artifact with distrust and asks you why it is flaming up like that, but you have no idea. After a few seconds the flames disappear, and she tries to scoop the thing up. But a sharp crack fills the air, and Irene retracts her hand with a yelp of pain. It seems the artifact... shocked her?

"What the hell is this thing? Kyoss, you pick it up." She orders you. You comply with a bit of trepidation, but nothing happens. She doesn't seem very happy with this entire situation.

"Very well, it seems that ... thing... does not want to be carried by me. You keep it for now. Just know I'm not really happy with this entire situation, though it's probably not your fault. Anyway, this at least does lend some credence to what you told me, so for now I will believe to what this... "voice" .... said. Let us try not to be too disruptive in searching this place. Let us avoid "desecrating it", whatever that means."

"Understand however that I am still thinking about what to do regarding that piece of metal. I think it's very dangerous for you to carry it around considering we do not understand it at all. Be absolutely sure to tell me EVERYTHING from now on Kyoss. Are we clear?" You agree and after taking a couple of deep breaths Irene goes on.

"I think we could go and explore the courtyard then. I'd start by taking a look at the keep, we have avoided it for far too long I think. Other suggestions?"

You suggest to copy the writings over the tombstones. It may be that you won't be able to come back here, better copy them down so they can be studied at leisure. She agrees and calls the scholar, ordering him to get to work. In the meanwhile, the rest of you take another look at the mansion from the outside. After about an hour, the scholar has finished his task, and you move back to the courtyard. The scholar is petulantly complaining, telling Irene you should unearth the bodies in that cemetery. Irene will have none of it, and you think it's a good decision. You think grave robbing would most likely be counted as "desecration"... Slowly and carefully you make your way to the keep, and stand before its massive, pristine metal doors.

As you look upon this massive building, your eyes are immediately drawn to a large inscription situated on the wall above the doors. The inscription can only be described as majestic. The words are chiseled in what seems to be pure gold, standing out against the pristine white of the background. Somehow, gazing upon it you know that you have to read it. It's as if you feel compelled to do so. You notice that everyone else is also looking at it, and Irene quickly tells the scholar to translate it. The man gets to work between squeals of glee. It's irritating really... You notice that the massive doors of the keep are very slightly ajar, perhaps you could think of entering later on...

The task is rather long, taking over an hour, but Irene doesn't want to take another step in the courtyard without first knowing what is written here. It is obviously something important, it could be paramount to your investigation. And to avoid problems as well. At last the man closes his books, and starts to recite the verses carved here.

Welcome citizen
You stand now in the Core of the Third House of Avarlos
Praise the gods who made this world
Praise the Sacred Waters that gave us life
Honor our ancestors who built mighty Avarlos
Within this House you are Safe
Within this House you are one of Us
Within this House may you find Shelter
Within this House may you not lose your Way
We guard Avarlos forever
And what It represents

You contemplate for a moment the words the scholar just said. Even though he read them with his irritating voice, somehow you think you can hear what the people who wrote this wanted to convey, their... seriousness in all this. And now you stand here, and you have to decide what you want to do.

What will you advocate, Kyoss? (You can string more than one of them together if you want)
1) You should enter the keep, try to explore it.
2) You should go back and search carefully the low buildings
3) You should investigate the halo behind the keep
4) You should return to the camp and rest
5) Make another proposal. Please number it and make sure the number is not a duplicate.

Also I will of course keep track of your every suggestions.

Baltika9

Arcane
5) Try to contact the shard-> Take out the shard and poke the skeletons with a stick -> 3 -> 2 -> 4. And when we're at camp, get with Kalz and have a drink. This is heavy shit.

P.S.: While we're at it, why don't we show Irene our baby photos where we shit our pants, 'Dex.

Honestly, for shame.
:rpgcodex:

Curufinwe

Learned
5) Try to contact the shard-> Take out the shard and poke the skeletons with a stick -> 3 -> 2 -> 4. And when we're at camp, get with Kalz and have a drink. This is heavy shit.

Yeah, sure, why not. Let's move the potentially evil artifact sprouting blue flames close to the demonic corpses that 4000ish years from their probable demise are still rotting the ground around them. What could possibly go wrong?

Baltika9

Arcane

Yeah, sure, why not. Let's move the potentially evil artifact sprouting blue flames close to the demonic corpses that 4000ish years from their probable demise are still rotting the ground around them. What could possibly go wrong?
They... recognize the artifact and accept us as their lord, master and spiritual liege? I'm 95% sure that this is a necromantic artifact that resonates with the dead.

On another note, have every single person in the expedition be carrying at least three torches. I foresee another night of the living shadows.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
3 and after that 4. After 3 we can give our report to the general and start thinking about how to proceed next with the exploration.

Edit:But if exploring the manor wins, we should offer somekind of prayer "to the gods who maybe this world and to the sacred waters".

Anabanana

Augur
3 -> 2 -> 4

Also, told y'all we should've told her earlier. Better now than later/never though, so I'm happy with this outcome.

Stygian Lurker

Liturgist

Also have someone watching the scholar. He is very curious person, and we don't want him disturbing something that shouldn't be disturbed.

ScubaV

Prophet
3 then 4. Agree about keeping a guard on the scholar. Also, whenever we report to the general we should bring the whole expedition with at least to outside his chambers. We don't need anyone flapping their gums before the general has a chance to decide how to keep this discovery contained.

GameOver

Educated
Shouldn't have told her. Telling her accomplished nothing, no really, absolutely nothing and there is still no guarantee she wont tell Medah in her report to him. Medah might try and snatch it from us when we get back.

1) The reason I choose one is because the lady said not to desecrate it. Walking inside the building does not necessarily mean desecrating it. It wont win anyways but we should stop pussyfooting around and get something done here. This investigation stuff is starting to bore me. Oh, I also like to argue so I figure others will argue against this point which will create a fun debate.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
But if exploring the manor wins, we should offer somekind of prayer "to the gods who maybe this world and to the sacred waters".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom