Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

GreyViper

Prophet
3-2-4
Before we become a necromancer or whatever path the artifact leads, lets learn Avarlos magic first before we burn that bridge.
Also can we use the shard as tazzer on other living beings?

Baltika9

Arcane
Avarlos magic is a good idea, but rather risky. If we really do want to do that, then we need to try two things: first, put that shard down in front of the door and ask for entry. If that doesn't work (I'm thinking that the shard is our conduit to the supernatural), then pick it up and hold it out in front of you, and ask for entry again.

All of this will have to be done alone, without external presences. Irene is not letting us out of her eyesight now that we came clean with the shard, I'm pretty sure of that, so we asking her to do a "private" investigation might not succeed.

GreyViper

Prophet
Avarlos magic is a good idea, but rather risky. If we really do want to do that, then we need to try two things: first, put that shard down in front of the door and ask for entry. If that doesn't work (I'm thinking that the shard is our conduit to the supernatural), then pick it up and hold it out in front of you, and ask for entry again.

All of this will have to be done alone, without external presences. Irene is not letting us out of her eyesight now that we came clean with the shard, I'm pretty sure of that, so we asking her to do a "private" investigation might not succeed.
Well Im thinking a bit long term, recall why we are in the keep. Now guess whats the chance that general wants Avarlos descendants on their side with their magic and knowledge. If we do go, dark side can you guess who will come after us?
Anyway am I right thinking Avarlos relayed heavily on water magic?

Baltika9

Arcane

Well Im thinking a bit long term, recall why we are in the keep. Now guess whats the chance that general wants Avarlos descendants on their side with their magic and knowledge. If we do go, dark side can you guess who will come after us?
Too late to cry about that now. The only way to go Darkside safely was to keep our mouth shut. Now we gotta make do with what we have. And while we can communicate with spirits, it's most likely because of the shard/artifact, not Avarlos bloodline, although, who knows? Maybe the spirits of our ancestors are watching the Chosen One?

And as for Irene, she's in charge here and now, not the general. And I doubt she'll let us out of her eyesight.

Vernydar

Learned
Hmm interesting speculations. I wonder if they are also right :M

A consideration though, regarding your personality. Remember I wrote more than once that your personality will change gradually. You better keep that in mind, if you do things completely opposite to your current personality there could be... repercussions :lol:

Baltika9

Arcane
Hmm interesting speculations. I wonder if they are also right :M

A consideration though, regarding your personality. Remember I wrote more than once that your personality will change gradually. You better keep that in mind, if you do things completely opposite to your current personality there could be... repercussions :lol:
Multiple personality disorder?
If so, :incline:. That way we get to say "Wasn't me." when we get busted by the hero.

Rumsfeld

Scholar
Wow, the level of discussion on this LP has deteriorated sadly recently. Feels like playing an RPG with a gang of 12 yr olds, and I think Vernydar's excellent efforts deserve better.

GameOver

Educated
Wow, the level of discussion on this LP has deteriorated sadly recently. Feels like playing an RPG with a gang of 12 yr olds, and I think Vernydar's excellent efforts deserve better.

Not really, you just lack a sense of humor apparently. The discussion has been just fine, in my opinion, with exception to comments that are clearly meant to be a joke. Why so serious?

As for the whole magic discussion, I am okay with learning any type of magic at this point. I think you're on to something GreyViper with the Avarlos magic relying on water.

Clotstein

Augur
+1 GameOver, i'm just kidding.
TBH, i'm far more concerned with making it out of here alive rather than going evil overlord right now.
We can get around to doing that once we're someone in the world, for now, we command exactly nothing. We have no power, and no serious money. After a couple of years under Medah (5 maybe?), we'll have contacts, some influence and some cash providing us with better means in our quest for power.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
Apart from the inscription water hasn't played a part in any magic we've seen so far, the probably Avarlos shimmering light tornados and the wards all had more to do with fire type stuff than anything else.. although there was that storm. I wonder also, is Avarlos magic and the magic of our artifact completely different things? Is it some dark and ancient magic of some indescribable god? or just the flip side to Avarlos magic? Clotstein has a point as well, once we are 20 or so and have some idea whats up in this world, then we can start sacrificing villages to ourselves. Until then lets just play along and think evil thoughts. The bigger fall-from-grace the better of the villain, right?

Another thing worth mentioning is that this artifact "DEVOURS!!11 soul" apparently, which we have seen in other LP's to be a potentially very powerful ability as much as it is a liability, so maybe we are better off burying the artifact now, now that Irene knows about it and that the only thing we really know, is that some spirit kid told is its going to have adverse effects on our soul. Also it shocks our gf and emits strange colours and temperatures.

Have we tried interacting with the twisters and our artifact? We should do that then find somewhere safe to put it, take a peek at the halo, and if still no problems enter the keep Third House of Avarlos. If problems lets just clear out the courtyard, relay everything we learned (sans artifact if Irene allows, tell her we are going to bury it) to the General and tell him the other yards should be safe but that we feel, pending further information, the courtyard containing the Third House should be cordoned off and left alone and that anyone not authorised caught trying to enter should be treated as highly suspicious. Mention the scholar as a liability as well, and not to be admitted. Hell, just say that noone except those with Irenes permission should be allowed. Then when thats finished lets go back to read more about the Legends of Eskal, and imagine the world burning at our feet.

8)

Baltika9

Arcane
Clotstein has a point as well, once we are 20 or so and have some idea whats up in this world, then we can start sacrificing villages to ourselves. Until then lets just play along and think evil thoughts. The bigger fall-from-grace the better of the villain, right?
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense, actually.

What do we actually know about magic, and I'm keeping quiet about the different schools of magic. We know it's rare nowadays. We know Avarlos was built on it. So, even if we do want to be Bigdark the Destructiantor, Son of Skeletor and Shao Khan (Which I damned well hope we do. Succubi, bros. Succubi.) rushing into the whole thing, the dark side of magic especially, is rather stupid. Not to mention fatal. Now, IF, and that's a big IF, we get the chance to learn Avarlos magic here, and learn more about our shard (I strongly suggest we attempt and talk to it. Who knows?) we should grasp it with both hands, consequences be damned. And probably stop lugging it around with us too, until we learn more about it. The whole "DEVEOUR OUR SOUL" is not a nuance I like. I'm all for devouring other souls, but this is our soul. There are many like it, but this one's ours. I wonder what'll happen if we master it?

As for Rittgard and Medah. I see an opportunity here bros. We can be their personal CIA agent, sure. But, think about this: We have contact with the supernatural, and while it is limited, it's more then 99% of the population can claim. We are interested in researching it. They will be interested, I'm rather sure, in having magic on their side, so dispatching one man, out of the thousands in their employ will be a rather small hit. I propose that Kyoss be that man, and become the royal scholar/adviser on all things occult/magical. We told Irene about our shard and supernatural experiences, might as well make the most of it. And use our time with this to not only further their agenda, but also ours. Not to mention that we'll be in a convenient position to feed them false information for easier conquest later on. It's a long stretch, yes, but worth the effort, I'd say.

As for the "Third House" it warrants exploring by ourselves, if possible, but we must make an attempt at sanctioned entry. Stand outside of it and ask for entry, loudly, while holding the shard in an outstretched hand. Wit for results. If nothing happens, put it down and repeat the process. If nothing happens, go back to the Manor and try to contact the child and ask for entry, without the shard, obviously.

And, yeah, hold off on the necrotic conquest until the Centipede Overlords have been defeated. It's no fun to rule a Necropolis when all the corpses eligible for resurrection have been eaten, now is it?

TL;DR: Succubi, bros.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
:salute:

+1 to becoming a delver of secrets. After we finish this mission we should breach the idea to Medah/Jacob. Trying to gain entry to the Third House and communicating with our stone/the spirits warrants itself too if we are going to become an occult liaison. So +1 to that as well.

Otherwise, anyone else got any ideas on where to take Kyoss?
Evil is interesting to me the most because I want to see how Vernydar would react if we went Kkkodex with Kyoss; with the way this LP operates we could have him sporting dead baby shoulderpads and a phallic channeling stuff, we could lay waste to Eskal and then have the whole zombified population make a gigantic clearing in the heart of the kingdom, lay down dead, heads in butts, forming a kilometres wide sigil that spells out something that looks suspiciously like GAY. Then, after a long fruitful life of such activities, we could reroll another character into the strange world we created. But thats probably getting ahead of ourselves. What im trying to say is that Vernydar has constructed this LP in a way that could let us get very antagonistic with it (All credit to you btw, Vernydar. Not since TheBarbarian has the codex been lucky enough to be involved in such a great game :love: ) and we should take advantage of that, not necessarily like I described, but still, we need aspirations for Kyoss other than pining for Irene and licking Medah butthole.

TL;DR: Succubi, bros

Random Word

Arbiter
MCA Project: Eternity
I think you might have misunderstood - this tower is not the Third House of Avarlos, the Third House of Avarlos is the entire central courtyard, if not the entire fortress. One possibility is that each House of Avarlos had its own large fortress similar to this one. Forget about being careful inside this central tower, desecrating anything in the entire fortress is going to result in pain. Clearly simply using the buildings for habitation and going about the general affairs of an army at camp are not sufficient to desecrate anything. Stealing, defacing, or exhuming anything are, however, liable to bring on a world of hurt anywhere within the outer walls - or it may not, if She happens not to care about whatever it is. I wouldn't try any magic or rituals She isn't a fan of, either.

The prudent move, should the General learn of this, is to ban further exploration of the central courtyard. The potential loss of the entire force camped here would be disastrous and the rewards, while promising, are nebulous at best. He can be relatively certain there's nothing significant to desecrate outside the central courtyard, and that there clearly are things of significance within. Coupled with the fact that we don't know what these things are or what constitutes desecration, and can't even bound the threat to his forces should She become irate, the risk is significant. Eskal isn't desperate enough to risk this coming battle in a search for ancient super weapons which may or may not exist. Deceiving the enemy into occupying the fortress and incurring Her wrath, while amusing, is impractical.

Informing Irene may well see us barred from further exploration, Kyoss' best hope of rapid enlightenment. Leaving to rest could well see us unable to return.

3 - 1

Baltika9

Arcane
And another thing, I strongly suggest we find an ambitious young noble who wants to become a general. Capable, intelligent, with a slight tinge of amorality and hedonism, but good at leadership, tactics and combat. Somebody needs to corral the nobility of Eskal into our minrape trap "rally" them against the "incompetent tyrrany" of the "Usurper."

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
I still think we should have a go at communicating with the spirits again, although telling the army to camp outside would be a good move. If we manage to swing some ancient spirits of Avarlos onto the side of the kingdom of Eskal, well, that would have repercussions way outside of just securing a castle.

So maybe bury the stone outside the walls, relocate the army, and then try again with the kid (solo or with Irene) tomorow? Id be surprised if the General didnt let us back in, as far as hed know we would only be risking ourselves, and thats props in itself anyways.

@brotika what about our humble soldier friend Kalz? Captain of the whole guard of Bitak. If we wanted to stage somekinda coup... all we needa do is save his life or summin.

Baltika9

Arcane
+1 to hoodoo, except the stone part, for now. It might be the thing allowing us to talk to the entities in the first place, so maybe try to contact them tonight?

Vernydar

Learned
Very well, option 3 wins by large majority, followed by option 4.

Update in a hour or a bit more.
Interesting discussion about magic here. Full of speculations of course. As for morality, who knows what you will WANT to do as the story unfolds? I certainly do not :M . I noticed that most of the time the codex goes... Codex, it is because of boredom or a twisted idea of fun. I hope I can write something interesting enough that you do not want to derail it just for the lulz. Then, if you do want to go evil, so be it, I hope you're smart enough to succeed at it. :)

Baltika9

Arcane
fair point, hopefully we dont get smited though
Well, I hope saying "Pweety pwease" will work, but maybe we should try asking without the shard first,then, and if it doesn't work, do what we gotta do.

Vernydar

Learned
3 wins by large majority, followed by 4

76 – Fallen from the sky

After talking with Irene for a bit, the halo behind the keep seems to be the most urgent thing to investigate. It seems big, it's quite easy to reach, and you should probably inspect everything outside before going in the central keep. It would simply not do to risk leaving a danger behind and entering the keep. And so your small group carefully makes its way across the courtyard once again, walking along the mighty central keep.

Soon enough you reach the corner of the keep, and even from here you can hear roaring flames. Your metal artifact is once again quite painfully cold, you may want to advance carefully from here on. Irene has the group stop, and tells you she will turn around the corner first. You think she's actually a bit worried of how the soldiers and the civilians might act if faced with more surprises. You argue for a few seconds, but she is rather adamant about it. With a firm step she advances and turn around, looking behind the corner. You can see yellow, orange and red light reflected on her face, but she manages to keep a straight face. You do think you see her jaw twitching a bit though...

"Kyoss, come here and take a look. It does not seem immediately dangerous. All of you stay back for now. "

You take a deep breath and take a few steps. As you turn around the corner and gaze upon the scene before you, you feel the metal going deathly cold against your leg. But it does not seem to react in any other way for now, so you just stand still, in awe.

A large section of the courtyard behind the keep is circled by patterns inscribed on the floor. They are blazing, yellow, orange and red flame shooting out of them and rising almost three meters high. Contrary to the other patterns you saw in the rest of the courtyard, these ones does not seem to be part of the original design. They seem to have been etched in the pavement at a later date, much like the ones behind the mansion in the grove. Inside the area cordoned off is a nightmarish scene

Old skeletons, covered in Avarlos armors, lie broken and scattered across the area. They are shredded to pieces, their armors being of no help to them. Some are cut in half, other are crushed as if a mountain fell upon them, quite a few are missing their limbs. Others seems to be... melted, as if fire rain down upon them. The metal liquefied by the heat has solidified again in puddles. You shudder at the though of the agony the poor soldiers must have felt, being covered by molten metal.

Amidst the bodies lies a great skeleton. It is 40 meters long, not counting its long, sinuous tail. Four wings sprout from its spine, each one larger than the creature was long. The huge skull is stocky, with cavernous eye sockets and a relatively small mouth. Still the fangs are longer than a horse... It is oddly familiar really, you think you saw a similarly shaped skull a few times near your farm. Is this thing.. a bat?

A forty meters long bat, a nightmare with huge fangs and sharp talons at the edge of its wings. And in the cavernous chest, the gaping jaws and the empty sockets of the beast you see roaring a mighty, blue and purple flame. This... thing is easily the most fearsome creature you ever imagined. You notice Irene is tugging at your sleeve. You look at her and somehow you have the impression that she is scared, but trying not to show it.

"Come on Kyoss, let's circle this place. I want to find out what happened here, we need to... All of you instead stay here. Please be calm, this thing is scary, but dead..."

You slowly follow Irene, while the others finally advance and see this scene. You hear some murmuring, others are praying. You also think someone is crying. You cannot blame them, you are terrified yourself. Nothing could prepare you for something like this.Slowly you make your way around the area. And at last you see what felled this nightmare.

Near the head of the creature, on the left side, you see a contorted body. It seems that of a soldier, horribly twisted and half melted. This man died in horrible agony, most likely burned alive by something incandescent. But in his hands he is still gripping tightly a two handed sword. The sword has been deeply plunged into the creature's skull. Along its blade you see flaming patterns, glowing brightly yellow and orange. The flame protruding from the sword seems to fight against the blue-purple one burning inside the creature's skull....

Irene manages keep calm and somehow analyze the situation.
"It seems that man somehow slew the beast by thrusting that sword into its skull. And it seems that cost him his life. As for that sword... I wonder, are those ... magical... patterns what killed this thing? Also note that all the people inside this circle are wearing the same armors as the ones killed in their sleep in the barracks... And this man, his armor does not seem ordinary. Is that gold, shining as a decoration on his chest? Still, this is terrifying..."

You circle the creature for a bit more, but find out nothing else. Everyone is shaken by this sight, and Irene decides to retire for the night. Better go back to your camp and rest for now. You agree heartily, you feel afraid yourself. It's a rather dejected group that makes its way back to the camp. You have a light dinner, and then you all go to sleep. Irene says tomorrow you will report to the general and ask what to do. After a few minutes you are in your bed, and you immediately fall asleep.

But in your dreams horrible creatures torment you. Monstrous bats hunt you across the forests. Strange creatures with four arms chase you amongst the streets of your home village, Tulik. As dawn breaks you wake up, feeling shaken and very tired. And you're not the only one, most of the people who came with you are already awake...

Shortly after breakfast you and Irene find yourselves before general Ritgard, giving your report to him. Irene relates everything in a calm, precise voice. She tells him everything, except from the existence of your metal artifact. You are a bit surprised by this, but maybe she wants to tell that to Lord Medah himself first. The general listens carefully, and takes in everything Irene says. He seems to trust her without question.

"These are disturbing news, Irene. Something is at work here, we do not understand it, and these creatures are similar to demons coming out of children stories. Not to mention this mysterious voice. I want you to finish inspecting every place in there, but do be careful not to do something that might "desecrate" this place."

Irene nods curtly "Yes general, of course. We will resume our inspection today. As I told you, it would be best to keep an eye on that scholar. Anything else, sir?"

"Well yes there is another thing". The general face is serious, even grim. "Now we know more and I want your opinion, do you think this place is safe or not for our army? I am starting to relocate the men, I need to know."

What will you say Kyoss? Is this place safe for the army?
1) Yes, the place is safe for the army. What is in the central courtyard is of no consequence for it.
2) Yes, as long as nobody "desecrates" this place. The general should instruct the soldiers specifically so they are respectful
3) You are not sure, but there should be no danger as long as nobody goes in the central courtyard.
4) You are not sure, but there should be no danger as long as nobody goes in the central courtyard and everyone is respectful. Avoid "desecrating" this place
5) No, the army should really leave this fortress, and find some other place to camp. You cannot be sure.
6) Other, make a proposal and number it.

Also, what shall you explore first thing in the morning? (You can once again string up more than one choice))
A) You should explore the keep.
B) The low buildings, detailed search
C) The courtyard can still be explored better
D) You should go back to the mansion in the grove
E) Other, make a proposal

As always, questions and proposals are welcome.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Before making any decision, I would like to ask the general that when they are expecting the enemy and how good is their intel. Reasoning behind this is that the army could camp outside the fortress for sometime while Kyoss and Irene explores the central courtyard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom