Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Choose your path to greatness, obscurity or death. A multiple choice LP

Vernydar

Learned
Before making any decision, I would like to ask the general that when they are expecting the enemy and how good is their intel. Reasoning behind this is that the army could camp outside the fortress for sometime while Kyoss and Irene explores the central courtyard.

I can answer this immediately. I think I wrote it in an update around #65 or so, but maybe it was not perfectly clear. The intel is rather decent, they have a LOT of scouts in all northern Eskal. They are expecting the enemy to strike seriously starting next year. They think the enemy is still gathering forces right now. Of course it could be wrong, but that is considered as rather low probability.

But there are other concerns as well, such as the morale of the soldiers, which could take a hit if the general acts in a way that supports the rumors and old superstitious legends about this place.

Still it is your suggestion to make (and a suggestions it is, no guarantee it will be followed)

TOME

Cuckmaster General
6) No, the army should really leave this fortress for a couple days, and find some other place to camp.
In that time, Kyoss and his merry band of frightened civilians can explore the courtyard more properly and without worrying the safety of the army.

B then A.

Clotstein

Augur
4 B

Not the most original thought, but i'm thinking we have ourselves the shard of a magic weapon. A seriously powerful and (in)famous one in old Avarlos. Maybe the most powerful in several granted to an elite order of eldritch knights or noble houses?(as in the Third House and such) Maybe the sword of a 'fallen' knight?(fiting for our own fall from grace perhaps?) EDIT: On second thought, it probably belonged to the enemies of avarlos, going back to what the voice said, and considering the shard causes the opposite effect to what we're near.
I'm thinking there's a lot mommy and daddy didn't tell us.
Maybe we could ask the scholar about legends regarding these creatures? (without showing him, the overeager idiot may be our undoing)

Somehow i still dont feel safe going into the keep. if we're still going, remember to bring the spy along.

newcomer

Learned
And so Irene starts to act more girlish & rely on us more :incline:

4 ABC, bring fewer number of soldiers. But we still have to bring the scholar & probably 2 infantry to keep an eye on him

GameOver

Educated
The sword has been deeply plunged into the creature's skull. Along its blade you see flaming patterns, glowing brightly yellow and orange. The flame protruding from the sword seems to fight against the blue-purple one burning inside the creature's skull....

What will you say Kyoss? Is this place safe for the army?
4) You are not sure, but there should be no danger as long as nobody goes in the central courtyard and everyone is respectful. Avoid "desecrating" this place

Lets be on the safe side and tell them they need not desecrate anything. I am lead to believe the third house of Avarlos is the central courtyard but there is nothing pointing to the fact that the whole fortress could be the third house.

Also, what shall you explore first thing in the morning? (You can once again string up more than one choice))
B) The low buildings, detailed search
E) Other, make a proposal

I am going to suggest we try and get that sword out of the creatures skull. Could you imagine running around with that magical sword? If that is not possible (Irene is a sissy), I would rather search the low buildings completely and get that building notched off our to do list in this courtyard.

Speculation Time!

I think Avarlos fell because of in-fighting. One group used the magic that was primarily the color purple and blue. The one our stone belongs to and the ones that basically control these monsters. The yellow, orange, and red colors are the other group of magic. The people in the mansion likely belong to the yellow, orange, and red group. As for what the schools of magic do, I have no idea.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
In regards to not desecrating the area, am I wrong to suppose that the voice was only referring to the center courtyard area when it gave its warning? Which the soldiers will presumably not have access to anyway. I don't see the reason for caution against desecration of the outer area due to this. Besides, if we do advise caution, it might make the army more nervous than it already is. Bad for morale overall.

I also think the yellow magic is actually keeping these creatures inactive. I have a sneaking suspicion that if one were to remove, for instance, the sword from the bat creature, it will reanimate.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I also think the yellow magic is actually keeping these creatures inactive. I have a sneaking suspicion that if one were to remove, for instance, the sword from the bat creature, it will reanimate.

My thoughts exactly. So -1 for the sword removal. Unless of course we find out that our shard can control the the bat creature.

Anabanana

Augur
In regards to not desecrating the area, am I wrong to suppose that the voice was only referring to the center courtyard area when it gave its warning? Which the soldiers will presumably not have access to anyway. I don't see the reason for caution against desecration of the outer area due to this. Besides, if we do advise caution, it might make the army more nervous than it already is. Bad for morale overall.

You stand now in the Core of the Third House of Avarlos

I assume that the central courtyard is the "Core", which means the entire area is the Third House of Avarlos. Therefore, I'm voting 4, followed by B -> A.

And yeah, let's not grab the magical sword and unleash the magical beast of doom upon the world. Unless we learn more about controlling it.

It seems that our shard does belong to the guys who trashed this place. It makes sense now that the yellow/white/red flames make us feel calm, comfortable, relaxed, and our shard is freezing. These skeleton creatures are on ice, being kept calm and relaxed and FROZEN instead of aggressively violent.

Baltika9

Arcane
There's two ways t do this.
4BC- the safe option. Army stays in citadel, doesn't touch a thing and neither do we, we only observe and interact with the courtyard minimally.

5DA- army gets out of here, allowing us to explore the central courtyard at our own risk and peril. All well and good, but I'm convinced we let some spies slip through our fingers. And guess what they'll do as soon as the army camps outside.

I'm conflicted on this.

GameOver

Educated
But removing the sword would be sooooo much fun. We can take the sword out then make a quick escape. If Irene or the other people dies, who cares? :D

I think I reached that point that Vernydar referred to about being in it for the lulz. No, seriously, I want to do something reckless.

Baltika9

Arcane
But removing the sword would be sooooo much fun. We can take the sword out then make a quick escape. If Irene or the other people dies, who cares? :D

I think I reached that point that Vernydar referred to about being in it for the lulz. No, seriously, I want to do something reckless.
I'm tempted too. Very, very tempted. However, Centipede Overlords come first. If we do that, we risk losing five hundred men, a talented general and a citadel. Who needs an enemy then?

6) Let's do this the smart way. Have the general evacuate the troops for about two days and give Kyoss, Irene, Kalz and his men free reign of the place. If we get done in a day, then the army can move back in faster. Meanwhile, we'll do a thorough search of the whole central courtyard, careful not to touch anything unless we absolutely must. Then, and only then, we go up to the keep and try to contact "Her". And tonight, before we hit the hay, contact the damned shard, it's not a hard thing to do. Just say something like " 'Sup, bro?" and wait for an answer.

In essence: let's focus on winning one war at a time.

Anabanana

Augur
I like this CYOA too much to throw it to the (demonic) dogs. Let's not herd Kyoss down the path of other, less worthy CYOA protagonists. Never forget the downfall of the Obsidian Embers!

+1 to attempting to see if the shard will speak back to you.

Curufinwe

Learned
I'm pretty sure the LP would just end with Kyoss' gruesome death if we pulled something idiotic like a grab&run of the magical sword that's keeping the giant demonic bat in place.

GreyViper

Prophet
The sword has been deeply plunged into the creature's skull. Along its blade you see flaming patterns, glowing brightly yellow and orange. The flame protruding from the sword seems to fight against the blue-purple one burning inside the creature's skull....
What will you say Kyoss? Is this place safe for the army?
4) You are not sure, but there should be no danger as long as nobody goes in the central courtyard and everyone is respectful. Avoid "desecrating" this place

Lets be on the safe side and tell them they need not desecrate anything. I am lead to believe the third house of Avarlos is the central courtyard but there is nothing pointing to the fact that the whole fortress could be the third house.

I am going to suggest we try and get that sword out of the creatures skull. Could you imagine running around with that magical sword? If that is not possible (Irene is a sissy), I would rather search the low buildings completely and get that building notched off our to do list in this courtyard.

Speculation Time!

I think Avarlos fell because of in-fighting. One group used the magic that was primarily the color purple and blue. The one our stone belongs to and the ones that basically control these monsters. The yellow, orange, and red colors are the other group of magic. The people in the mansion likely belong to the yellow, orange, and red group. As for what the schools of magic do, I have no idea.
Read the description again about flame fighting against the blue-purple one burning inside the creature's skull. How much do you want to bet, that the thing is not quite destroyed yet and some of the power remains. Right now the sword is keeping it there secured. Besides wouldn't this count as desecration anyway, second what combat style did we go again? I recall there was no interest in bastard sword, so what good would 2h sword be then if all we can do is dodge?
The only thing I could see is IF somehow the metal shard has the ability to absorb other powers, but since don't know hat it can do its just wishful thinking.

I think we need some more answers about how magic works here, get audience with the "voice" in the manor, then get inside to talk face to face. Soldiers should be better left outer courtyards, to avoid any moral backslash form what ever source.

And this might be bad idea, but request one of these priests or better yet priestess who knows magic and learn observe him/her. Why is this bad, well people with power want to in charge and we really don't want to become a lackey. Right now things are going for us, we are NEEDED for our shard and for our ability to communicate with voice. We get another spell caster we get a rival.

Baltika9

Arcane
Priests sound like a bad idea, especially with the necrotic artifact we're carrying around. We're more likely to get *BLAMMED* by a crossbow bolt or cudgel to the face then become anyone of importance that way.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Ultimately all that matters I think is if we get permission from "she" and make somekinda peace with the remnant spirits of the place. There could be some wild rewards involved for doing this too. Otherwise, I dont mind too much if some spies slip through our fingers, if we do secure this castle, we dont want to be twiddling our thumbs for to long.

8) The troops leave for awhile while we try to communicate with the spirits

D/A) Without the stone, but if we are not contacted, run back for it and try again. If still nothing, try the Keep.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom