Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are two DCs, which one do you mean, the '92 DC or the Final Cut? I hated the VO because it had shit writing.

Both.

The DC end sequence VO was shit. The original cut starting VO was not. It helped tons to set the scene.

I believe this is very much a minority opinion. Harrison Ford himself is embarrassed of that VO

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
There are two DCs, which one do you mean, the '92 DC or the Final Cut? I hated the VO because it had shit writing.

Both.

The DC end sequence VO was shit. The original cut starting VO was not. It helped tons to set the scene.

I believe this is very much a minority opinion. Harrison Ford himself is embarrassed of that VO

Yeah...and I bet there's some fanedit which is basically the final cut minus the unicorn shots. At least the bluray/dvd-sets have all the official cuts. The Final Cut would be pretty much perfect without new color grading and the unicorn-scene.

laclongquan

Arcane
The game was originally rushed, so a lot of the stuff didn't make it into the game. Take the opportunity and finish it, sort of a director's cut?! No, he only added 10 lines to companion abilities... Sad.

It's not a good idea to alter a work decades after it's been released. Look at Lucas. And to quote Josh Sawyer

Years ago, Ridley Scott changed Blade Runner. He decided to change an ambiguous aspect of the central character to something not ambiguous at all. The movie that Blade Runner fans fell in love with because of that central uncertainty lost something because the author simply changed his mind years after the fact.

I think that authors of content should leave the interpretive aspects of their narrative work alone once it goes out into the world for consumption. I think we should discuss it, argue about it, but we shouldn't try to re-frame it. It shouldn't really matter whether what's there is intentional or accidental. It's what's in the game and what the player experiences that matter.

Even describing, in broad strokes, what we had intended for Legion content was pretty distasteful, IMO. We had our shot to tell some stories. If I feel the need to scoot additional information at the audience outside of the content they paid money for, I'm just heaping failure upon failure -- made worse by asserting the importance of my opinions as the project director after the fact. My authority ended when the game went out the door. For better or worse, what's there is there.

In Asian scenes we have Jin Yong for that example. He wrote some absolutely good novels, good characters, flaw and all.

Most notable should be the Saga of Deer Cauldron. The old version has MC as a lowborn whoreson who talk like the lowliest scum. He even describe his actions in that line. But if you ignore what he talked, his sayings, and focus on his actions, the purpose and results of his actions, he become a very good character. A Chaotic Neutral leaning Good hero. Better, he's won because of his wit, his chaotic neutral nature, not because of his might. People love him, not just because he's rag made rich type of hero, but also because of that hidden gap.

When the author get old, fat with adoration and hero worshipful from his fan, decide to rewrite his novels for better. That beloved MC get rewritten into a paladin-type of hero, mighty and righteous...

Yeah, fuck Jin Yong.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Final Cut would be pretty much perfect without new color grading and the unicorn-scene.

Those colors are also Ridley's ~vision~

http://www.bladezone.com/bz_forum/viewtopic.php?p=23121&sid=16de63357292d13a29e198f4ea885690#p23121
The Final Cut represents the very first time you're seeing the film the way the director intended. Like it or not, it's what he (not the "restorers" or anyone else) wanted, nor was it somehow updated to look fashionable. It's simply the way the filmmaker wants his film to look. That's why we left the other versions alone despite the new HD transfers, even if they don't represent Ridley's intended grading for the film, so that they would be historically preserved as they were.

Never seen Blade Runner...

Even with my unicorn issues, it's Roguey-approved.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The Final Cut would be pretty much perfect without new color grading and the unicorn-scene.

Those colors are also Ridley's ~vision~

http://www.bladezone.com/bz_forum/viewtopic.php?p=23121&sid=16de63357292d13a29e198f4ea885690#p23121
The Final Cut represents the very first time you're seeing the film the way the director intended. Like it or not, it's what he (not the "restorers" or anyone else) wanted, nor was it somehow updated to look fashionable. It's simply the way the filmmaker wants his film to look. That's why we left the other versions alone despite the new HD transfers, even if they don't represent Ridley's intended grading for the film, so that they would be historically preserved as they were.

Never seen Blade Runner...

Even with my unicorn issues, it's Roguey-approved.

Fuck his revisionistic "vision", he, Mann and some others suddenly got idea to push up green, which makes colors to look green/teal/orange (depending on color), after seeing it becoming fashionable in film industry.

My utter hatred and despisement for that color grading can't be any clearer :D

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
Modern film colours are all the same and all the same shit.
Yeah digital coloring has been a terrible thing overall really only the first film to fully digital color "O Brother Where art Thou?" did anything decent with it and most films tend abuse it to the point of looking fake.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Quite an experience to post on the Codex isn't it? That's what it is to be a grognard.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attacks by casuals on timeless classics they've never played, I saw shilling suckers gobble Beamdog cock as they were shafted, and heard dickwads cheering on the decline as features and content that were commonplace a quarter century ago failed to be implemented in their precious Kickstarters.

All this autism will be remembered and raged over for all time, like beards growing on necks.

Time to fuck off and die of bowel cancer you casual fags.

Fairfax

Arcane
Someone asked MCA on stream if he'd read Pages of Pain before working on PS:T. He said he read it during production, but it didn't influence the game. "I was saddened to see that it was using the amnesiac character, even though that was a trope I was also exploiting." He said the only title he was worried people would draw a comparison to was Sanitarium, which came out during the game's production.

Regarding PS:T sequels:
He mentioned the Pariah and Lost Souls pitches and said the team didn't pursue them because they were burned-out.

EDIT:

Didn't watch the whole thing, so I'll watch the VOD and write the summary later.

Last edited:

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Beamdog should do an Enhanced Edition of Pages of Pain. I bet they could get Troy Denning on board to do another pass through it.

deuxhero

Arcane
How about Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition with support for controllable henchmen, bodies that aren't horribly segmented messes and turn based combat? There's an EE I'd actually buy.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/133266809

lol @Avellone clicking at Intelligence, Charisma and Wisdom point by point and wasting time. No wonder Arcanum was too complicated to him.

These retards should have turned the sound off in P:T because it's often hard to hear them.

The map looks worse (and impractical) than it looked.

Chris Avellone was asked if he will finish Arcanum playthrough and he said that it's in the queue (so no). They also speculated that Beamdog might do Arcanum: EE :/.

Chris Avellone says that Polish version is the most awesome
IHVGZh.png

There was supposed to be a PlayStation game called Doomguard where you play as a Harmonium officer.

MCA said that James Lim (concept artist) didn't know English too well so MCA had to draw what he had in mind. Also Lim was a very energetic person and that's why we have Lim-Lims in game. (1h 35 min.)

Avellone worried that P:T would be compared to Sanitarium due to amnesia trope.

Artist Chris Jones loved the Wu-Tang clan symbol and tried to add it into every area.

Beamdog wanted to add "Beamdog was here" to the maps :argh:.

One of the quests that was lcut out was in the Modron Maze (which was supposed to make fun of Diablo which everyone at Interplay played and it drove MCA nuts) was rescuing Annah or Fall-From-Grace that would be kidnapped by Evil Wizard which would be fun for Fall because she's never been kidnapped (1h 40 min.).

Later there are some more trivia about P:T so start from 1h 30 min. if you're interested in these, e.g. about Fall-From-Grace (1h 46 min.) and why companions use the same weapons (1 h 47).

MCA said he (they) would prefer if Nameless One could also be a woman :argh:. How much did they pay him to say that?

Talks about potential sequels (just before 1 h 50 min.)

They've given away a poster with MCA's autograph but it was ruined by Beabdog's autographs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom