Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
I suppose if you mean "the west", the nebulous boogeymen of the Russian state, Poland would count as part of it since they're in the EU and NATO.

They're Catholics. For Russians, that's West.

They're Slavs. For Western Europeans, that's East.

All jokes aside they're borderline. There's no hard and fast rules for what the precise border of east/west are when people talk about "the western world". The Cold War split had them firmly in the East camp but today they're in the West camp by their EU membership. But thinking about the EU as exclusively Western is not really correct even though it started that way. Poland is Linguistically, Religiously, Historically and Culturally a mix of East and West.

I look forward to visiting Poland and the Czech republic whenever I hit up Europe next.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

what could this be​

Hey...

C_-n6F-U0AAorA5.jpg

D6k1Iow.jpg

I think it could be that MCA going back to PnP RPG writing.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well, and also, maybe it's just my impression, if it's a videogame (generally with significantly more budget) I think it's less likely publisher/developer would let MCA tease that image. It makes more sense if he is the author of some book.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
No Obsidian, published by Armored Warfare's publisher, and MCA.

So much for Obsidian/Paizo "long-term partnership".

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Checked out the site (nice find!). Not much to go on there... party-based, isometric, pathfinder rpg. Will wait for the KS pitch. I'm not sure I trust Avellone in this rent-a-writer phase of his career.

Rev

Arcane
I'm not sure I trust Avellone in this rent-a-writer phase of his career.
He found out how to make money while doing nothing, can't say I blame him since I would probably do the same in his shoes, but I would've preferred to see him make something interesting and start a project as a lead designer (or something like that) instead of wasting his time doing all this freelancing shit.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Hmm... ctrl-f "turn": no results.

we were frantically playing games like Baldur’s Gate, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, it became our dream to make a story-driven single-player computer RPG.

Another story-heavy RTwP game for the pile then.

Rev

Arcane
By the way, it's funny thinking about all the people complaining about how generic PoE was and how it was all Sawyer's fault and if only Avellone could have a say in it it would've been much more original and fresh, and now he goes to work on Pathfinder, the most generic fantasy setting ever created.
But wait, maybe that's Obsidian and Sawyer's fault too. :M

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
By the way, it's funny thinking about all the people complaining about how generic PoE was and how it was all Sawyer's fault and if only Avellone could have a say in it it would've been much more original and fresh, and now he goes to work on Pathfinder, the most generic fantasy setting ever created.
The setting has nothing to do with the quality of a story or a game. You can make a good game and story in Forgotten Realms but make a shitty one in Planescape.

Fairfax

Arcane
I don't see your point. MCA chose to work with an existing IP he likes. The fact it's generic doesn't mean that's the kind of setting he'd create. Sawyer had a clean slate to create a brand new one, but he went with FR with guns. Doesn't mean MCA would've done something different either.

Still, people like what MCA did with other settings in the past. It makes sense to wish he had a bigger influence in PoE's.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Rev

Arcane
I don't see your point. MCA chose to work with an existing IP he likes. The fact it's generic doesn't mean that's the kind of setting he'd create. Sawyer had a clean slate to create a brand new one, but he went with FR with guns. Doesn't mean MCA would've done something different either.

Still, people like what MCA did with other settings in the past. It makes sense to wish he had a bigger influence in PoE's.
Well, to be completely honest Sawyer didn't have the freedom to do whatever he wanted otherwise we would have probably got a historical rpg with some low fantasy elements, he had to make a spiritual successor to the IE games and especially BG, so he made a setting with close ties to the FR.
That said, I am among the ones that like MCA's past work, he made some pretty cool twists in some settings like he did with SW in KotOR II for example, I'm just disappointed with what he's doing after he left Obsidian:
- Siege of Dragonspear, very little role sure, but the game was beyond terrible;
- T:ToN, extremely disappointing game and MCA contributions weren't even that good (although above the average game content);
- D:OS2, it will probably be a very good game as the first one, but as a setting it's as generic fantasy as it gets and he only wrote the undead origin, the game will be bad or good regardless of his contributions;
- Prey, I like Arkane so, even if I have yet to buy it, I think it's probably a good game, but as with D:OS2 MCA's work on it is just minor stuff that doesn't make or break the product;
- Planescape: Torment EE, he just read the script again and correct some stuff, and also this EE wasn't really necessary;
- now this Pathfinder stuff, which doesn't look interesting at all (and I'm probably forgetting other stuff).

He spent a lot of time saying how Obsidian wasn't letting him do what he wanted and all that stuff, but since he left them he hasn't produced anything of worth. He should've had the freedom to make his own fucking game, the one that for some reasons he couldn't do when he was with Feargus & co., but he hasn't and I'm starting to think that's simply because he doesn't want to make another Torment (not necessarily a top-down RTwP rpg, but a game with his vision and in which he's the lead).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom