Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Basically everyone, literaly everyone, like even the crazy hobo around the block can get an interview with MCA but not the Codex.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Basically everyone, literaly everyone, like even the crazy hobo around the block can get an interview with MCA but not the Codex.

We could if we did a podcast. The guy's slow at answering his emails. *shrug*

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Fairfax said his email interview with Avellone is already longer than the one Bubbles had with Sawyer and they're not even close to being finished.

Rev

Arcane
Fairfax said his email interview with Avellone is already longer than the one Bubbles had with Sawyer and they're not even close to being finished.
Those are two different situations tho, Bubbles interviewed Sawyer at Gamescom and recorded everything, it took a really long time just because he was lazy and didn't work on the transcription for months (until you came in and made everything in just about a week, and btw thanks for that).
Here Fairfax is sending him email to ask questions and the problem is that Avellone is busy and slow in answering them. If it were for Fairfax alone I'm sure we would have our interview in a short time, but he can do nothing more than what he's doing.

Fairfax

Arcane
Those are two different situations tho, Bubbles interviewed Sawyer at Gamescom and recorded everything, it took a really long time just because he was lazy and didn't work on the transcription for months (until you came in and made everything in just about a week, and btw thanks for that).
Here Fairfax is sending him email to ask questions and the problem is that Avellone is busy and slow in answering them. If it were for Fairfax alone I'm sure we would have our interview in a short time, but he can do nothing more than what he's doing.
I take the delay as a sign that he cares about the Codex, actually. I believe he doesn't want to do the interview without giving it his full attention, and I also get this impression from his answers. I asked a few questions that he couldn't answer for legal reasons, but he still went out of his way to make them interesting, for instance.

Also, the delay actually helped the interview in a way: he's had 3 projects announced since then, so it can cover more of his recent work now.

Rev

Arcane
I take the delay as a sign that he cares about the Codex, actually. I believe he doesn't want to do the interview without giving it his full attention, and I also get this impression from his answers. I asked a few questions that he couldn't answer for legal reasons, but he still went out of his way to make them interesting, for instance.

Also, the delay actually helped the interview in a way: he's had 3 projects announced since then, so it can cover more of his recent work now.
Yeah, I see your point and I think you're probably right. I wasn't blaming Avellone since he's on half a dozen projects and so he's short on time, I was just defending you because the delay it's not your fault and I think that if it was all up to you we would already have had the interview months ago.

Edit: and btw, thanks for your efforts in reaching out to MCA and making the interview possible, collecting questions on the forum and sending them to him. :salute:

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's been teasing a "pet project" for a while, I think that might be it. Do you have a timestamp?
He mentions this as an answer to a question about what franchise would he want to work on most. The question starts at 35:34.
However, there is not much more information other than that is a new IP and he is one of the creators (and that he is having a blast writing it).

Fairfax

Arcane
Found this article by MCA describing some of PS:T's monsters for Dragon Magazine #262:

Their journal entries:

3-Torment_2010-06-08_16-59-51-03.png
2-Torment_2010-06-08_16-59-43-53.png
4-Torment_2010-06-08_17-00-12-97.png
3-Torment_2010-04-01_05-37-23-90.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Was Twitter-speak (short, staggered sentences) an inspiration while writing Ulysses' dialogue for Lonesome Road DLC?
Actually, the dialogue editor had a strict character limit per node (which is good). Twitter is good training for game writers, imo.

And yet this character limit didn't prevent him from writing significantly more than every other writer.

Twitter's also only good for learning how to write ad copy, you can't have a conversation on it worth a damn.

Fairfax

Arcane
Found this article by MCA describing some of PS:T's monsters for Dragon Magazine #262:

Their journal entries:

I vaguely remember another article in Dragon where they adapted some o npcs (Ravel, Pharod Wormhair etc) to tabletop game, I dint like changes they made personally, bit naff.
Interesting, I'd never heard of it. It seems they were adapted by Val and Ray Vallese, writers of the infamous PS:T novelization, for Dragon Magazine #264:

The weirdest part is how this was a couple of months before the game's release and they even commissioned art for the characters, yet they look nothing like their actual design in the game.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doesn't MCA have like the most aesthetically pleasing stock photo of any and all the devs (Aside from Cleve)?

Like, his photo compared to all the other shit photos in the kickstarter for Pathfinder, he's the best looking one there.

Fairfax

Arcane
Another podcast:

Also this one from last week:

I did listen to this one and it didn't have anything particularly interesting or new.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
How does Ravel just have 15 INT. Like wtf???

Thank to heaven they didn't use that "art" in game... they made Morte like a demilich with his phylactery in the eye socket lol, and Pharod just leave me speechless.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another podcast:

After some cringe-worthy Patreon-begging at the beginning (skip it), this Final Games podcast turned out to be fairly interesting. The premise is kind of dumb, but it results in Chris Avellone discussing eight of his favourite games at length (why he would bring them to a deserted island), as well as other topics that come up during this.
Also, I was pleasantly surprised by the host, who turned out to be pretty knowledgeable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
00:38 - What games have you been playing recently?

01:28 - What were your inspirations for places in Fallout? New Reno, Vault City, and etc.

02:54 - Some comments about the Think Tank...

04:01 - ...the intro to Old World Blues,...

04:51 - ...and how players can interact with The Think Tank.

05:48 - How did you get into video games?

06:55 - What sorts of genres or settings would you like to see in role-playing games?

09:05 - What your opinion on mods for New Vegas, or the older Fallout games?

10:46 - In terms of inspirational stuff, the Nuka Break series. Would that spark interest in a Fallout TV series or movie?

11:36 - If HBO does do one, they'll need a very good team of writers. Otherwise, Jericho's my personal example for what a Fallout series could be.

12:56 - What your last days at Black Isle Studios like?

15:11 - I'm not well-versed on the details, but that's a shame to hear. The company is legendary, no doubt.

16:41 - What was it like working with the Gamebryo Engine?

17:50 - In terms of locations, is there any in the Fallout universe, United States or the world, that you'd like to see touched on?

18:54 - When NMA previously interviewed you, you ended with a question of where you saw yourself in ten years. Where do you see yourself ten years now?

19:15 - Speaking of tabletop games, some of the NMA forum members are trying to design a post-apocalyptic PnP game. Any advice you can offer?

21:25 - What about character writing? Any good stories you can share about characters you've created, present of past?

23:42 - On the subject of characters, are there any characters you're greatly attached to?

25:04 - In terms of the West Coast, did you play Wasteland before working on the sequel, and did you take anything specifically from that game?

25:52 - Since Wasteland 2 was a tactical third-person RPG, any thoughts on first-person RPGs?

27:10 - On that note, we can probably bring up the influx of, shall we say, "walking simulators." Where do you see that genre going?

29:48 - In terms of RPGs, and the general confusion about what exactly that means, how do you think it has changed over the years?

32:18 - The System Shock reboot.

34:02 - Since we've been asking you questions so far, let's flip it around for a bit: Are there any questions you have for us?

34:29 - TransgenderVaultDweller's response.

36:34 - Millim's response.

38:46 - Hassknecht's response.

39:49 - RangerBoo's response.

40:33 - My response. (All text.)

42:38 - NMALurker's response. (All text.)

43:07 - MercenarySnake's response. (Post-podcast recording.)

44:49 - Was there any decision you've made in game design, present or past, that you would go back and fix if you could?

46:04 - Last question: Was there a system to your writing sessions for Fallout 2 and New Vegas?

49:44 - Wrap-Up

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom