Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

"He's not being serious," a bunch of wrong chumps say. As usual, my perception is correct.

Though hopefully he cools it a bit going forward, it's just going to be sad if he publicly asks Sega to give him Alpha Protocol every day from here on out.

But on the other hand...
iX46oqV.png

Last edited:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
avellone gets great opportunities like FTL dlc why would he need to work on a big publisher rpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
An important detail I neglected to mention: while Chris kept Sega tagged in (so they could see the tweet) he deliberately tagged Obsidian out (you have to intentionally uncheck them to remove them from the thread). :lol:

torpid

Liturgist
But him making Alpha Protocol 2 without Obisidian means him having a studio, assuming AP2 is more than just a text adventure with stick-figure illustrations.

So we're polarized between two options:

A - Avellone has a plan to set up a full-fledged studio that develops and releases a game under his mercurial but wise guidance

B - Avellone is just idly shitposting and being passive-aggressive

Which is more likely :M

Fairfax

Arcane
would be funny if SEGA gave Obsidian Alpha Protocol 2 and then they denied Avellone the opportunity to work on it
He's the one who doesn't want to work with them. He even turned down the chance to work on PoE2.

I've still not seen evidence that Avellone's "studio" will be anything more than a brand name for him to operate under when working on other company's games.

Eg, "Arkane Studios' Prey, co-written with Avellone Entertainment"
Unless it means he'd pay less in taxes, that wouldn't make much sense.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unless it means he'd pay less in taxes, that wouldn't make much sense.

Well he might actually want to hire some people, like put his girlfriend on the payroll to help out with things or whatnot. Would it help with that?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But him making Alpha Protocol 2 without Obisidian means him having a studio, assuming AP2 is more than just a text adventure with stick-figure illustrations.

So we're polarized between two options:

A - Avellone has a plan to set up a full-fledged studio that develops and releases a game under his mercurial but wise guidance

B - Avellone is just idly shitposting and being passive-aggressive

Which is more likely :M

I'd be interested in a low-budget Alpha Protocol sequel that uses text descriptions instead of expensive 3D cinematics. Guy could do it Iron Tower/DoubleBear style and have his studio be programmers and artists from over the world. Why bother with the overhead of physical space?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That's how some indie projects work, so, sure, why not? Low-budget Alpha Protocol would be cool.

Sentinel

Arcane
He's the one who doesn't want to work with them. He even turned down the chance to work on PoE2.
That's why it'd be funny. Avellone doesn't want to work with Obsidian. Apparently would very much like to work on Alpha Protocol 2. AP2 gets handed over to Obsidian, the company he left. He really wants to work on it though, so he asks if he can come in for this project. They tell him no.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That's why it'd be funny. Avellone doesn't want to work with Obsidian. Apparently would very much like to work on Alpha Protocol 2. AP2 gets handed over to Obsidian, the company he left. He really wants to work on it though, so he asks if he can come in for this project. They tell him no.

While funny, wouldn't actually happen that way because Feargus would love nothing more than "with writing from Chris Avellone!" as a selling point (e.g. Tyranny) and I don't believe there's a single project Obsidian could ever be involved in that would make Chris "I wasted my time and my life at Obsidian Entertainment" Avellone want to come back.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Does anyone knows what is the big drama about him and Obsidian?Why did he left ?

Not really. It's not evident there was any drama at all.
There is clearly some animosity among them.Any way,we will see in which one is torch of incline.Chris new game or Obsidian PoE 2.

Animosity, yeah, but doesn't mean there was a shouting match. More like:

Chris: Eh. I don't like management's priorities, I'm leaving.

Management: Well, that sucks.

Sentinel

Arcane

While funny, wouldn't actually happen that way because Feargus would love nothing more than "with writing from Chris Avellone!" as a selling point (e.g. Tyranny) and I don't believe there's a single project Obsidian could ever be involved in that would make Chris "I wasted my time and my life at Obsidian Entertainment" Avellone want to come back.
I know. Obsidian has nothing to give Avellone that he doesn't already have. Avellone has everything Obsidian needs. Pretty much no reason for him to ever go back, and no reason for them to ever reject him should he want to go back.

It was merely a hypothetical scenario.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Does anyone knows what is the big drama about him and Obsidian?Why did he left ?

Not really. It's not evident there was any drama at all.
There is clearly some animosity among them.Any way,we will see in which one is torch of incline.Chris new game or Obsidian PoE 2.

Animosity, yeah, but doesn't mean there was a shouting match. More like:

Chris: Eh. I don't like management's priorities, I'm leaving.

Management: Well, that sucks.
Meh those things are always office secret.For all we know it could have been broken windows,beaten lovers,a lot of swear words and maybe even a few jabs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom