Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Funny how you conveniently forgot to mention the biggest embarrassment during that stream was Avellone himself, he was drunk like a pig.

He was having a good, celebratory time with his coworkers and internet fans. He was cognizant enough to stop that one guy from embarrassing himself with the Gangnam style dance. :M

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That's why it'd be funny. Avellone doesn't want to work with Obsidian. Apparently would very much like to work on Alpha Protocol 2. AP2 gets handed over to Obsidian, the company he left. He really wants to work on it though, so he asks if he can come in for this project. They tell him no.

While funny, wouldn't actually happen that way because Feargus would love nothing more than "with writing from Chris Avellone!" as a selling point (e.g. Tyranny) and I don't believe there's a single project Obsidian could ever be involved in that would make Chris "I wasted my time and my life at Obsidian Entertainment" Avellone want to come back.
I know. Obsidian has nothing to give Avellone that he doesn't already have. Avellone has everything Obsidian needs. Pretty much no reason for him to ever go back, and no reason for them to ever reject him should he want to go back.

It was merely a hypothetical scenario.
Such games are made by a team.I am certain that their products will be a little bit shity now.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Funny how you conveniently forgot to mention the biggest embarrassment during that stream was Avellone himself, he was drunk like a pig.

He was having a good, celebratory time with his coworkers and internet fans.

Bitch please. Avellone was so shitfaced drunk, he couldn't even form sentences and basically just kept screaming "woooo" for last 30 minutes, until Feargus pulled him to the side and got him to behave. It's hilarious how you zero-in on everybody else behaving less-then-professional, while Chris acting like a 20 year old fratboy means he was just "having a good time". That entire stream was an embarrassment with Avellone at the center of it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Bitch please. Avellone was so shitfaced drunk, he couldn't even form sentences and basically just kept screaming "woooo" for last 30 minutes, until Feargus pulled him to the side and got him to behave. It's hilarious how you zero-in on everybody else behaving less-then-professional, while Chris acting like a 20 year old fratboy means he was just "having a good time". That entire stream was an embarrassment with Avellone at the center of it.

I (and also Josh and other neurodivergents I'm sure) personally thought Chris was being obnoxiously loud, but his behavior didn't strike me as the kind that would hurt Obsidian's standing with fans or publishers, whomever. He's a big name artist they're expected to be wild, crazy, party people. But two bosses cursing each other out at the top of their lungs in front of the kids, that's no good at all (as he himself said http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...t-content-and-more.111252/page-5#post-4764286)

Latro

Arcane
That's just Californian development ethos. Every single Californian tech dev (esp. upper management) I've ever met was a ticking time-bomb. Probably because they know they have complete power over people who need the job just to break even in an expensive state. Don't get me started on HR/Diversity dept. women but that probably doesn't have much to do with Obsidian (more EA).

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

I (and also Josh and other neurodivergents I'm sure) personally thought Chris was being obnoxiously loud, but his behavior didn't strike me as the kind that would hurt Obsidian's standing with fans or publishers, whomever. He's a big name artist they're expected to be wild, crazy, party people. But two bosses cursing each other out at the top of their lungs in front of the kids, that's no good at all (as he himself said http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...t-content-and-more.111252/page-5#post-4764286)

Quit the bullshit. Avellone was one of the founders of the company and part of upper management. If someone like that gets shitfaced drunk on livestream it reflects badly on the whole studio.. You can either hold him to the same standard as everybody else, or you can be a masturbatory fanboy and make lame excuses for his behavior while attacking others for acting in the same manner.

That whole stream was a mess, in started innocently enough but it got out of control quickly and it's only a miracle that no one was vomiting on lifestream.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Quit the bullshit. Avellone was one of the founders of the company and part of upper management. If someone like that gets shitfaced drunk on livestream it reflects badly on the whole studio.. You can either hold him to the same standard as everybody else, or you can be a masturbatory fanboy and make lame excuses for his behavior while attacking others for acting in the same manner.

That whole stream was a mess, in started innocently enough but it got out of control quickly and it's only a miracle that no one was vomiting on lifestream.

Clearly alcohol was allowed/approved, otherwise he wouldn't have been able to get drunk in the first place. :M

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
would be funny if SEGA gave Obsidian Alpha Protocol 2 and then they denied Avellone the opportunity to work on it
Does anyone knows what is the big drama about him and Obsidian?Why did he left ?

Not really. It's not evident there was any drama at all.
There is clearly some animosity among them.Any way,we will see in which one is torch of incline.Chris new game or Obsidian PoE 2.

Animosity, yeah, but doesn't mean there was a shouting match. More like:

Chris: Eh. I don't like management's priorities, I'm leaving.

Management: Well, that sucks.

dude.... you have no idea what are you talking about :)

Animosity, yeah, but doesn't mean there was a shouting match.

Feargus and Chris Parker had a shouting match during the Pillars of Eternity countdown livestream, much to Avellone's embarrassment.

I tried to find that particular segment on the internet but failed.
Do you know if it is uploaded anywhere?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik

Hey cunt! Avellone handled that liquor like a champ and he was decent! But I guess your opinion on the matter has the same value of another embarrassment of that evening named Sawyer, who proved he has zero social skills and stood there like attending to a funeral.

I bet he also thought Avellone drunk himself into a coma because cucks like you have a very low threshold that derives from thinking you're decency incarnated and think you're better than everybody else.

"it's only a miracle that no one was vomiting on livestream"
Get the fuck out loser! :) You're acting like an imbecile adolescent girl who saw a dick on TV and then tells her mother amidst tears she got raped.

If you think drunk Avellone was more cringy than the "always smiling on camera" fat fuck boss who screams "fuck you" to his employees/colleagues on live stream with no sense of self-awareness, embarrassment or common sense, then you're a comical farce like Urquhart was in those moments.

And to prove that Avellone was as sharp and present as ever even he was close to coma! as the inept might think , after Urquhart proved he is a two-faced redneck, in a eerie silence mixed with a collective embarrassment, he said,
"I wish someone would erase my short term memory"

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm not willing to sit through the whole thing just for the good parts. Can someone make a highlight reel and call it Real Housewives of Obsidian?

Atomkilla

Arcane
I'm here with Nutria - been following this thread on and off for a long time now, but I can't get a complete picture of what Kodex knows has happened, even though I have many bits and pieces. Many theories and assumptions floating around (which are fine), but actual stuff is hard to find in such a long thread.
So if somebody were to make a run-down, it would be appreciated.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

He was having a good, celebratory time with his coworkers and internet fans.

Nothing wrong with getting drunk and having a good time. The real embarrassment in that stream was Sawyer who clearly has no idea what "fun" is either in the context of a party or a game.

Quillon

Arcane
wtf. do you guys watch hours of goofy streams while being so focused, eyes and ears wide open? how do you catch that? let alone decipher who are the speakers...

Fairfax

Arcane
You are talking to Roguey you realize

I can't take credit for this, it was Fairfax.
Wasn't me either. Someone first mentioned it in a PoE from thread years ago, maybe Grotesque himself here:
Everything that Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer and Anthony Davis have said about Feargus is that he is a really good CEO s.

I still remember Mr. Urquhart at the PoE kickstarter closing party when he shouted at an employee on the hallway "NO! FUCK YOU!" and Avellone afterwards saying something like "I wish somebody erase my short time memory" to break the awkward silence. :)
So I guess a good CEO means having a tight grip on things all the time, whatever the occasion.

does anybody have a link to the closing party recording?
it would be funny to watch that thing once more :)

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
You are talking to Roguey you realize

I can't take credit for this, it was Fairfax.
Wasn't me either. Someone first mentioned it in a PoE from thread years ago, maybe Grotesque himself here:
Everything that Chris Avellone, Josh Sawyer and Anthony Davis have said about Feargus is that he is a really good CEO s.

I still remember Mr. Urquhart at the PoE kickstarter closing party when he shouted at an employee on the hallway "NO! FUCK YOU!" and Avellone afterwards saying something like "I wish somebody erase my short time memory" to break the awkward silence. :)
So I guess a good CEO means having a tight grip on things all the time, whatever the occasion.

does anybody have a link to the closing party recording?
it would be funny to watch that thing once more :)

It was me and Avellone says "I am gonna kill my short term memory" :)

wet alone decipher who are the speakers...

let's just say Urquhart's voice is unmistakable.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
From Jason Schreier's book:

As spring turned into summer, Obsidian offered its services to almost every big publisher in gaming. The studio’s leadership talked to Ubisoft and Activision about doing big series like Might & Magic and Skylanders. They spent some time pitching (and briefly working on) their own version of Bethesda’s ill-fated Prey 2.* They even took a few of their ideas for Stormlands and transformed them into a new pitch called Fallen that was spearheaded by one of Obsidian’s co-owners, Chris Avellone.*

* Fallen would later morph into an RPG called Tyranny, which Obsidian released in November 2016.

MCA isn't mentioned after the part about the Kickstarter, but the book does have interesting information about PoE's development.

Last edited:

PrettyDeadman

Maybe he should just get a ghost writer :troll:
Maybe writers whos careers were destroyed by sjw outrage can work for chump change as ghost writers for more prominent industry figures? Was it the plan all along?

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom