Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Developer
Dont worry guise; Chris has taken a lot more shit from Obsidian higher management (as he not so subtly mentioned in his multi-part mega interview) which should have caused him much more distress than my name-calling.

He will be back for you neckbeards to worship in no time.

Name-calling I don’t care about so much, I only respond to address things that aren’t true or are broken (credit for NWN2 companion concept/writing, avatars), as these aren’t always fact-checked and causes problems when people take these things and use them as facts (“Well, people said that…” “This blog said…” which leads to “Therefore…” and it builds on nothing but bad information, so it’s best to correct it at the source of the bad intel). I even correct flawed information even if the flawed information is to my benefit (as has happened with one of Infinitron's posts).

If people didn’t get their avatars, that sucks, and if so, I want to fix it – because while I wasn’t responsible for getting it to them, I did do the avatars, and I can take action now to ensure they get where they need to go.

In short, I don’t really care about personal insults (if you do care, you’re not long for the Codex), I do care about things that aren’t true or need to be fixed, then try to address those.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've never heard of anybody complaining that they didn't get their PoE avatar until Chaotic Heretic brought it up in this thread. Probably about as real as George Ziets and Eric Fenstermaker's work on PS:T.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hi, Chris, just want to ask a simple question, what do you think your fans like from your works?

Codex Year of the Donut
Dont worry guise; Chris has taken a lot more shit from Obsidian higher management (as he not so subtly mentioned in his multi-part mega interview) which should have caused him much more distress than my name-calling.

He will be back for you neckbeards to worship in no time.

Name-calling I don’t care about so much, I only respond to address things that aren’t true or are broken (credit for NWN2 companion concept/writing, avatars), as these aren’t always fact-checked and causes problems when people take these things and use them as facts (“Well, people said that…” “This blog said…” which leads to “Therefore…” and it builds on nothing but bad information, so it’s best to correct it at the source of the bad intel). I even correct flawed information even if the flawed information is to my benefit (as has happened with one of Infinitron's posts).

If people didn’t get their avatars, that sucks, and if so, I want to fix it – because while I wasn’t responsible for getting it to them, I did do the avatars, and I can take action now to ensure they get where they need to go.

In short, I don’t really care about personal insults (if you do care, you’re not long for the Codex), I do care about things that aren’t true or need to be fixed, then try to address those.
Neeshka romance DLC when?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Hi Chris, are you still playing games, and if so, is it for fun or more from a place of critical scrutiny. Do you think it can hurt creators when they don't much play games anymore (due to a perceived lack of time), or even never much played them in the first place?

Rev

Arcane

I brofisted this post, and you're right in what you say, but please answer Abu Antar's post (the one just above your last post).
It's good to see you enjoying the freelancing, but you know, all of us would like a new Torment, a new KotOR, even a new Alpha Protocol. Not necessarily those games or their sequels, but you know, games made by you or in which you have a big role, instead of just seeing you writing some quests/companions/NPCs like you did these last years with Prey, WL2, T:ToN, D:OS2, etc.

I've never heard of anybody complaining that they didn't get their PoE avatar until Chaotic Heretic brought it up in this thread. Probably about as real as George Ziets and Eric Fenstermaker's work on PS:T.
You know jewtron, the avatars were delayed for a long long time if they were even delivered.

In fact many people had a badge saying "i paid $200 for an avatar but sempai didn't care."

Even crooked bee tweets were bugging chris about the avatars when he was still at obsidian.

Your and your kind's disinformation campaign to smear facts as fake news is p. blatant.

Just like the neutral positive (shit) review rewriting to push Obshitian agenda.

Also people taking Roguey at face value should never forget
https://medium.com/@talkinghive/the...-juliet-e-mckenna-and-narratives-d25f997b8046

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Just chiming in to say that if Roguey's name happens to be Juliet, that would be fucking cute. That is all.

Chris would agree.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This only says that Roguey is a creepy stalker, but doesn't invalidate the information provided. Everyone on the Codex knows

Also, a stalker getting a stalker, I find that somewhat amusing

Every time I see this, I think to myself, “what’s the worst Roguey could do, cut you with a barbed quotation?” Then I click the link and realize why that’s terrifying (not that Requires Hate didn’t have it coming many times over).

Is everyone here bipolar? It would explain a lot...

Speaking of unhealthy relationships, Mr. Chris Avellone, was Miria/Davin based on anyone specific? Killing Miria to open up a companion slot gave me the courage to break up with my emotionally suffocating girlfriend at the time, so thank you!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Miyamoto said this quote, which people keep parotting. Not that I'm against delaying a game to polish it, but in the age of digital distribution and immediate patching, this is not true anymore. Miyamoto was defeinitely talking about the consoles of old, which did not have this opportunity.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the launch is only once though. generally (not with several specifics like bethesda games or even KCD) the hype is strongest during launch and a bad first impression will turn off quite alot of players. a big patch coming will not make as much news as the launch day.

msot likely by the time patch is rolling out, interest started or already waned

This only says that Roguey is a creepy stalker, but doesn't invalidate the information provided. Everyone on the Codex knows

Every time I see this, I think to myself, “what’s the worst Roguey could do, cut you with a barbed quotation?” Then I click the link and realize why that’s terrifying (not that Requires Hate didn’t have it coming many times over).

Speaking of unhealthy relationships, Mr. Chris Avellone, was Miria/Davin based on anyone specific? Killing Miria to open up a companion slot gave me the courage to break up with my emotionally suffocating girlfriend at the time, so thank you!
I don't have problems with toxic girlfriends nowadays :smug:

cause i am too old to have a girlfriend and most women my age in this 3rd world shithole are married and have kids. :negative:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
the launch is only once though. generally (not with several specifics like bethesda games or even KCD) the hype is strongest during launch and a bad first impression will turn off quite alot of players. a big patch coming will not make as much news as the launch day.

msot likely by the time patch is rolling out, interest started or already waned
It's also possible to delay something so much that one can't make money from it no matter how good it is. :M

Egosphere

Arcane
Chris, if you were given free reign to write the complete storylines and all dialogues for, say, a group of 4 characters, how would you approach that? Would it be purely creative or would you follow some pre-defined rules / adhere to a template?

It’s what was done for New Vegas: Dead Money (technically 4 characters + antagonist, and there was a lot of freedom on when, where, who, etc.). There were parameters in that instance, and there usually always are – not just with the franchise or core game but other aspects as well.

I’d be happy to list those out for that example if you’re curious (some are logistics, some are franchise, some are budget, some are aesthetic/theme, some are writing template and quest template, etc.).

But for free rein on a new franchise, there would still be some limitations. If you want, I can list those, too, and you can contrast and compare (it’s a good question, thanks).

Thanks for the reply. Wish I could brofist.
I'm intrigued by your mentioning of the writing and quest templates. Am I correct in understanding that the writing for the characters is downstream from the quest designs and the over-arching story writing? Would love to hear about the limitations on a new franchise as well, if you have time to spare.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I don't have problems with toxic girlfriends nowadays :smug:

cause i am too old to have a girlfriend and most women my age in this 3rd world shithole are married and have kids. :negative:
Are you 25 or something?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom