Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Fairfax

Arcane
Found an interesting interview with MCA. Actually, most answers are pretty well know, but I find this one interesting because it's from just a few days before he left Obsidian.

How do you decide what yourself and Obsidian are going to focus on project-wise? Has Kickstarter helped or hindered you in this?

The owners usually decide what I’ll be doing next
, and we also decide the course of our next projects (although our CEO often is the compass for this, and it also depends on what publishers are willing to finance). I do occasionally get some say on the project I’m on, but often, I find I’m divided across so many projects that it’s hard to focus on a single one – doing both Eternity and our new undisclosed project at Obsidian was pretty rough, combined with owner responsibilities.
More on his role there, and also confirmation that he was working on an undisclosed project when he left. Perhaps Louisiana?

What issues did you find in creating your own original IP in the form of Alpha Protocol? What would you have liked to have included in the game but couldn’t and what do you pride yourself on most? (note: I really enjoyed Alpha Protocol and its mechanics)

Well, oddly enough, I didn’t create Alpha Protocol, there were a lot of noses – and fingers – in that pie from the outset. Halfway through production, however, I was asked to dig in and have a big, delicious helping of that pie, which wasn’t too bad because most people at Obsidian wash their hands.
:o

For Fallout we were able to revisit many of the campaign elements that had been developed back in Interplay with Caesar’s Legion, the Nightkin-Stealth-Boy-sparked insanity, the Caravan Mafia Wars, and the desperate hand of NCR clutching to keep what’s left of the world intact as wolves circled them. Oh, and Hoover Dam. Always Hoover Dam (true story: in the original draft of Van Buren, Hoover Dan was a community, more like a collection of piers and debris from everything that had washed down the Colorado and gathered against the wall of the Dam). I recently did a podcast for Gamer’s Tavern (http://gamerstavern.org/ – hopefully soon to be aired) that runs through all the ideas we took from the pen-and-paper version of Van Buren, and how they made their way (and mutated) into New Vegas and the DLCs.
More Van Buren stuff. That Hoover Dam would've been pretty cool.
This is the podcast. (Don't know if it's any good)

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
most people at Obsidian wash their hands.
Implying that most, but not all, and what a dirty metaphor. He clearly hates someone at Obshitian.

Lhynn

Arcane
Hate seems like a strong word, but he clearly feels hes been wronged there.

On a semi related note, i love Alpha Protocol THIS MUCH.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
*at fallout 2 design meeting* so this scene will look like this- *3 stick figures on a blank background

intern: mr avellone why don't you make it a bit more detailed so it's easier for the programmers-

senior engineer: yeah sure chris no problem we can do that *whispers* you better stay quiet kid

*avellone stares at the kid for 8 seconds no one says anything; the intern looks away*

senior manager: *trying to break the ice* hey anyone watch the game last night the nicks won 4 to 1-

Fairfax

Arcane
*at fallout 2 design meeting* so this scene will look like this- *3 stick figures on a blank background

intern: mr avellone why don't you make it a bit more detailed so it's easier for the programmers-

senior engineer: yeah sure chris no problem we can do that *whispers* you better stay quiet kid

*avellone stares at the kid for 8 seconds no one says anything; the intern looks away*

senior manager: *trying to break the ice* hey anyone watch the game last night the nicks won 4 to 1-
And this was MCA at the time:
mcacap.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Should have posted the guy who replied to that with "You should play Arcanum!"

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I find it a really weird fetish to constantly remind people about those let's plays. It's painful memories as it is, why does he have to bring it up all the time.

Fairfax

Arcane
20Q with Chris Avellone
Sep 26, 2014 by Kevin

20Q-green.jpg

20 QUESTIONS with CHRIS AVELLONE

chris-avellone-273x300.jpg

Twenty things you (probably) didn’t know about Planescape: Torment, Fallout New Vegas and Wasteland 2 video game writer/designer and Obsidian Entertainment co-founder, Chris Avellone.

1. My first job was… training police officers and FBI agents by role-playing a criminal at the local police academy and at Hogan’s Alley in Quantico Marine Base. I never dreamed they had jobs like that, and it paid pretty well.

2. If I wasn’t a video game writer/designer, I would likely be… a pen-and-paper sourcebook writer. Or a comic writer. Or on the streets.

3. I collect… action figures that are way too expensive and I don’t end up appreciating, so I often give them away to new, more appreciative foster parents after a few months.

4. My favorite word is… “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” and/or “gaunt,” but not usually in the same sentence.

5. I’m a big fan of… episodic sci-fi series that brush the limits of soap opera. And Joss Whedon. Oh, and Felicia Day. Oh, and…

6. The single best piece of advice I have ever gotten… if you don’t have something nice to say, shut your mouth. Especially in an industry as small as the game industry.

7. I have always wanted to… fire an assault rifle. At a dinosaur. Or flip a car with super strength.At a dinosaur.

8. The best thing I have ever read, (but did not write) is… “They’re Made Out of Meat” by Terry Bisson, and on the serious side: “The Shawl” and “Heart of Darkness.” I hated Heart of Darkness the first time I read it, though.

9. People often tell me that I… look like the T-1000 from Terminator 2. To which I respond, while angling my head: “nice bike.”

10. I really think that my best work is… Planescape: Torment, although it was a collaborative effort.

11. I find inspiration in… novels, comics, and endorphins.

12. The best thing about being a video game writer/designer is… your co-workers and the fact your hobby is your job. People, like, pay you do this shit. Who would have thought?

13. I spend way too much time… planning. And working out. But never planning my workouts.

14. The smartest person in my cell phone is… my Dad.

15. It really bothers me when… my Dad proves it.

16. The worst thing about being a video gamer writer/designer is… long hours during crunch, releasing work you know isn’t your best for reasons beyond your control.

17. One mistake that many aspiring video game designers make is… they try and design everything. And I mean, EVERYTHING. And put it in the game. No. Don’t do this.

18. If I knew the apocalypse was coming in 24 hours, I’d… call my parents, remind them I appreciated life. Then I would order a truckload of beer, followed by a truckload of nuns, all delivered to my house.

19. The three websites I visit most often are… Facebook, Twitter, and Google Mail.

20. You’d be surprised to know that I… feel there’s value in watching and reading bad stuff. And that I use my Kindle for note-taking more often than reading.

Fairfax

Arcane
In this one he mentions some of his favourite books and authors, and also mentioned an Icewind Dale short story for WOTC, which is news to me.

Interview
The End Has Come: An Interview with Chris Avellone
By Aidan Moher May 4th, 2015
The_End_Has_Come-188x300.jpg

Buy The End Has Come, edited by John Joseph Adams and Hugh Howey

In collaboration with editors John Joseph Adams and Hugh Howey, A Dribble of Ink is proud to introduce a series of interviews with the authors of The End Has Come, the final volume in the The Apocalypse Triptych. Following on The End is Nigh, and The End Is Here, The End Has Come contains 23 stories about life after the apocalypse.

Interview with Chris Avellone about “Acts of Creation”
(Interview by Georgina Kamsika)

Tell us a little about “Acts of Creation.”
Aside from an obsessive drive to gamemaster superhero role-playing games (pen and paper superhero games, like Dungeons and Dragons, except… superheroic), Acts of Creation was my first foray into science-fiction prose – the idea of exploring a universe populated by artists with the potential to crack suns and detonate fleets with the ease of painting with watercolors appealed to me. Not only that, but exploring the idea of how you would attempt to contain and disarm such weapons in the wake of the apocalyptic war they won… in a manner of speaking.

I played around with a few other ideas and stories in the universe. Strangely enough, the stories often veered into family and romantic relationships, often with a mentor figure seeking to inspire a disciple with far more potential, sometimes older, sometimes younger, a character set-up I’ve often used in digital role-playing prose as well, from Planescape: Torment, to Knights of the Old Republic II, to New Vegas. I guess I haven’t quite gotten a satisfying answer on it yet, but arguably, each game universe comes with its own interesting twist that makes it fresh again in my eyes.

I always carried the hope of being able to share the story one day. And when John Joseph Adams brought upThe End Has Come anthology and asked if I wanted to contribute, it seemed a great fit. And it helps that John and Hugh (Howey) are nice folks – Hugh, in fact, writes some of the nicest critiques I’ve ever seen from an editor, he makes sure you know what you’re doing well along with what you need to improve on.

What did you like to read when you were growing up?
Just about anything on the library shelves. And on the comic racks. Note that I grew up in the late 70s, early 80s, so no Kindle, no digital reader. Instead, I’d hop on my bike, ride to the library, load up my backpack with books, and then take my haul home and read in-between episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Among some of the books I loved was Madeline L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time and a Wind in the Door (love the last page of that book, it reminded me that you don’t need to spell out everything to make something compelling), the Narnia series, J.R.R. Tolkien (although I couldn’t get into The Silmarillion), and theChronicles of Thomas Covenant – which had a lot of harsh material for a young reader, but I enjoy Donaldson’s writing, and he’s crafted some of the most memorable epic moments for me in fantasy and sci-fi literature from the opening challenge from Lord Foul to the horror and confrontation with the Amnion inThis Day All Gods Die.

I also enjoyed Asimov’s Foundation series (I liked the Robot series, but I liked Foundation more because the concept of psychohistory and the idea of the Mule were fascinating), Arthur C. Clarke (Childhood’s End is one of the best books I’ve ever read), Lloyd Alexander’s The Black Cauldron series (The Chronicles of Prydain), Harry Harrison’s Deathworld, almost anything by John Bellairs (esp. The House with a Clock in Its Walls), theGreat Brain series by John Dennis Fitzgerald, Xanth and most of Piers Anthony’s novels, Ursula K. Le Guin (Tombs of Atuan grabbed me because of the dungeon aspects and because of its insane map in the front of the book, it reminded me of a D&D adventure, and I went on to read the Earthsea Cycle series and The Left Hand of Darkness), Sheri S. Tepper’s True Game series, and Susan Cooper’s The Dark is Rising series – I actually re-read The Dark is Rising, Deathworld, and A Wrinkle in Time/A Wind in the Door recently for a nostalgia trip and attempting to remember what I enjoyed about reading in the first place. Nowadays, most work and media consumption is largely for work, not for enjoyment, so I had a moment where I realized I had to step back and learn to love prose and comics again. I’m not 100% recovered yet, but I’m getting there.

As for comics, I was a big fan of the X-Men, which felt like a strangely “realistic” cutting edge comic (super-powered discrimination based on a twist on one’s genetics was new at the time, and the X-Men were beginning to branch out from John Byrne/Claremont’s run with Days of Future Past, which finally became a movie). Also, I was still in early high school when Alan Moore’s Watchmen hit, and that really stirred things up for an otherwise tired genre. Other favorites included: 2000 A.D., The Flash, Suicide Squad, Frank Miller’s run on The Dark Knight and Daredevil (Born Again was amazing), Simonson’s run on Fantastic Four… and what’s been interesting to me is how much of these older stories the current run of Marvel movies have returned to source those old plots and intrigues, which is proof to me those authors knew what they were doing, and they really captured the imagination and essence of the characters.

I also went through reading lots of game modules for Dungeons and Dragons and other favorite games, only because when I read them, I felt like I was exploring the dungeons myself and having adventures, since, uh, “gathering a party to venture forth” was almost impossible – until computer games came along, and suddenly I had my own digital game master (starting with Bard’s Tale 2 and going onwards).

I will say the opportunity to contribute stories now has been gratifying. I finally feel I can give back to the prose community for all the good times they’ve given me (including inspiration and cool ideas and everything else a designer could ask for).

You’re probably most well-known for your award winning video game design, and comic book writing. How do those mediums feed into your prose?
They have the capacity to help and hurt the writing process. As an example, when doing video game design, you can explore almost every permutation of a character you feel find interesting to delve into – with standard prose and comics, you need to make the best choice you can, and when you’ve trained yourself to do equal branching, it can be hard to “trim” those branches and focus the best arc for the piece.

Comic books have also been a bit different in a (helpful) way – they’ve trained me to think visually to tell the stories, which is an important skill in game design. Storyboarding, camera angles and how they can communicate the power and emotion in a scene, dialogue brevity, and layout of pages and panels to emphasize action, contemplation, and building tension have all proven useful.

What I like about Obsidian and inXile is that a number of the designers eagerly explore variations of prose, not just game writing – Carrie Patel (The Buried Life), Colin McComb (the Oathbreaker series), Nathan Long (Jane Carver of Waar), Adam Heine (his Tides of Numenera novel is excellent), and Andrew Rowe (Forging Divinity) are only a few of the folks I’ve worked with who also write prose in their off-hours, and (no humility here, it’s the truth, especially Adam), they write far better than I do. I feel like I’m stumbling a lot of the time, but hey, I like to believe I make enough mistakes and learn from them to make fewer and fewer errors as time goes on. Or not. It’s up to the reader to judge.

You have a lot of experience writing about the end of things – the many Fallout games, Wasteland 2, now this anthology. Is it a coincidence, or are you intrigued by the possibilities post the apocalypse?
Intrigued in the sense of enjoying taking aspects of the real world and giving them a hardy shake, yes, and each apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic genre allows for a different spin on the themes, which is welcome. Fallout 2, for example, had a lot of interesting societal and cultural changes that occurred in the wastes (return of slavery, classism, drug-induced work force/towns, overt mob politics, and more, that made you question those institutions not just in the game, but their origins in the real world), New Vegas allowed for commentary on much of the same, and for Wasteland 2, the idea that the world stopped around the 80s (well, technically 90s, but since the game came out in the 80s, I set my franchise clock by the attitudes at the time) allowed me to go back and dig through my childhood for visual and thematic signposts at the time, which I rarely get to do – I felt like I was time traveling, and I was loving it.

Finally, what have you got coming up next?
A lot. Tons. Maybe several tons. So: The Wasteland 2 novel, an Eternity novella for the backers of our Eternity Kickstarter, leading the creative aspects for a new game at Obsidian, work on inXile’s Torment: Tides of Numenera, and even a few more short stories here and there. These short works of prose provide a great outlet for exploring an idea that’s been buzzing around in my head and running with it until the tiny inspiration demons get worn out and go to sleep, making room for the next idea. Among these short stories is a Forgotten Realms short story set in the world of Icewind Dale, courtesy of Wizards, and also John Joseph Adams invited me to contribute to one of his other anthologies focused on video games, called Press Start to Play, which I had a blast with. I’m grateful for the opportunity, and hope I have the chance to contribute more.

Chris-Avellone-231x300.jpg

About Chris Avellone
Chris Avellone is the Creative Director of Obsidian Entertainment. He started his career at Interplay’s Black Isle Studios division, and he’s worked on a whole menagerie of RPGs throughout his career including Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2, the Icewind Dale series, Dark Alliance, Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, Mask of the Betrayer, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, FNVDLC: Dead Money, Old World Blues, and Lonesome Road. He just finished working on inXile’s Wasteland 2, the Legend of Grimrock movie treatment, and the FTL: Advanced Edition and is currently doing joint work on Obsidian’s Kickstarter RPG: Pillars of Eternity and inXile’s Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
Good answers, liked the thing about your dad/parents, didn't like the Joss Whedon sci-fi thing. I'd suggest reading Lord Jim if you haven't.

The meat story is amusing, reminds me of Douglas Adams.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Nothing new about this answer, but people should keep it in mind before expecting him to shit on shitty games publicly:

6. The single best piece of advice I have ever gotten… if you don’t have something nice to say, shut your mouth. Especially in an industry as small as the game industry.
That's the policy that most people in the game industry follow. Causes me intense disgust.

pippin

It's no mystery he likes that stuff. In fact he said he was glad they got Felicia Day to do Veronica's voice in NV's making of documentary.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nothing new about this answer, but people should keep it in mind before expecting him to shit on shitty games publicly:

That's the policy that most people in the game industry follow. Causes me intense disgust.

It's nothing new. MCA repeats himself in interviews a lot. They must be carefully scanned for nuggets of new information, but even I can't listen to all those 2+ hour podcasts he likes doing with annoying hipsters. (Especially now that he's not in a position to reveal new information about games that we're looking forward to.)

Fairfax

Arcane
Found another old one.
This one was....surprising, to say the least. I mean:

Can you name your five favorite games?

System Shock 2, Chronotrigger, God of War, World of Warcraft, and lastly, I also have a fondness for the Phoenix Wright games, even though adventure games don’t always strike a chord with many players. I’ve been playing Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and Call of Duty 4 and enjoying both titles, but it’s still too soon to say how those will fit into the long-term game rankings in my head. :)

The guy has a wide taste, no-one can deny that. :lol:

I wonder what xXx_Fr3dAv3_xXx was like in the MP.

BGamer: Interview With Chris Avellone

This Interview withObsidian Entertainment Chris Avellone first appeared in issue 120 of BGamer, a gaming magazine of reference in Portugal.

It was made by Ana C. Santos, to whom I would like to thank for the good will in allowing me to publish this.

I also would like to thank Chris for giving his yes nod to the publication, and special thanks to our friend ZiggyMeister for taking on his shoulders the task of getting all of this together.

BGamer : How did you start in the games industry?

Chris Avellone: It was kind of an accident – I stumbled into it, mostly since I didn’t realize it was there. So if anyone ever tells you can’t make a living at your hobby, they may be wrong – I had no idea there was ever a full-time career in my hobby, and it changed my life.

I got my start writing for pen-and-paper role-playing games for Champions andDungeons and Dragons, until one of my pen-and-paper game industry friends mentioned they were opening up a D&D division at Interplay. So I submitted my resume, and within a month or two, I was hired at Interplay’s Dragonplay division, producing role-playing games. My first released title was Fallout 2 (though I worked on a bunch of titles before that that took a little longer to come out of the pipe), and I worked on that at the same time I was doing lead design duties on Torment, which was challenging, but it turned out all right in the end.

Any game you worked on that you are particularly fond of?

I enjoyed working on almost all of them, but I loved working on Planescape: Torment the most, mostly because I can point to it and say, “that game is what I wanted to say about RPGs.” That said, I did enjoy working on Fallout 2 and I love working on Alpha Protocolat Obsidian – I think it’s going to add a lot of depth and intrigue to espionage games from a role-playing perspective. Also, the chance to script characters who can talk about problems in the modern world and use modern-day slang and phrases is a huge plus.

Fallout 2 and Planescape Torment are to this day considered cult classics. How does it feel to have people still discussing and asking you about games that you developed a decade ago?

It’s pretty gratifying. It was a labor of love for both titles above, and to still have people respond enthusiastically to both titles makes all the effort and long hours we put in worthwhile. When releasing a game, there’s always the subconscious thought that it’ll be forgotten in 2-3 months, but seeing the long-term feedback to Fallout 2 andPlanescape: Torment has been rewarding to the teams on both titles.

If you could go back in time and change anything in one of your games, what would it be?

I’d probably drop a planet out of Knights of the Old Republic 2 to make the game shorter and more polished. In Fallout 2, I’d probably have dropped one of the crime families in New Reno for the same reason – the raider cave in Fallout 2 didn’t get as much love as New Reno did just because New Reno was so big.

What, for you, makes a good story?

Providing the player with interesting companions and characters who react to the player’s actions I think is more important than a linear storyline. In most cases, I feel the best way is to allow the player the pieces to build a story in their own mind as opposed to forcing a storyline on the player. If you give the player a great villain and some companions that serve as good sounding boards for the player’s actions, that can present a far more effective gaming story in the long run – players would prefer to explain to others how their character dealt with a certain situation or dealt with a certain NPC rather than have the exact same experience that was imposed on them as someone else who played the same title.

Also, one aspect to a good story (in games), is that the game needs to end and achieve some sort of resolution. Obviously, single-player RPGs hold the monopoly in this, but this is something I think MMOs have the potential to solve depending on how they structure their quest and story mechanics.

What is your most memorable gaming moment?

(Spoilers for Ultima Underworld 1 and Torment present in this answer.) Outside of games I’ve worked on, my most memorable gaming moment was getting to the end of Ultima Underworld 1 and rather than having the end game solution presented to me on a silver platter, I had an NPC who I thought was going to give me the key to solving the game just shrug and ask me how I should solve the end game, which totally floored me from a design perspective – it was incredibly effective for giving the game depth. It was 2AM, and I just stared at the screen with my mouth open, I had no idea what to do, but the game was making me suggest how to defeat the bad guy, which was awesome.

Within games I’ve created, I’ve been especially happy with the pregnant alley in Torment (which was developed into its full potential by designer Steve Bokkes) and also the end sequence in Torment when you unlock the bronze sphere.

Can you name your five favorite games?

System Shock 2, Chronotrigger, God of War, World of Warcraft, and lastly, I also have a fondness for the Phoenix Wright games, even though adventure games don’t always strike a chord with many players. I’ve been playing Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and Call of Duty 4 and enjoying both titles, but it’s still too soon to say how those will fit into the long-term game rankings in my head. :)

You have worked in some of the best RPG ever made. What, in your opinion, are the crucial elements for a good game of this genre?

Aside from the ability to advance your character, player choice (whether in character development or quest resolution) and world and character reactivity to these player’s choices is key.

Players want to build the character they envision, and then they want to push buttons in the world and see the world give them positive (or negative) feedback that is unique to their character – it makes them feel that they are having a direct impact on their environment based on their specific choices. In addition, the more specific you can make the reactivity to the player’s character creation choices (Fallout 1 and 2 did a fantastic job of this, in my opinion), the better. The more a stealth character is given consistent rewards and feedback on their chosen skills and using those skills to solve quests, for example, the more they feel their character choices and their character’s skills truly matter.

What is for you the most important feature that today’s technology provides for gaming?

I’d probably cite the ease of downloadable games and content, whether XBox Live or Steam. That may seem like an odd answer, but I think the ease with which you can access games and get more casual players involved in the titles, the better.

You started developing primarily for PC and lately there’s been a lot of talk about the decline of this platform compared to the consoles. Do you agree with this? What in your opinion could (if anything) revert this tendency?

I think the PC has a struggle against consoles in any non-multiplayer arena, mostly because there’s few obstacles to firing up a console game as opposed to the sometimes-complicated installation procedures for PC games (video cards, system specs, long download times, etc.). I think Steam is a good answer for this, however, and I’m still amazed about how much more willing I am to try a game off of Steam rather than buy it in the store and go through the hoops of installing it.

By Ana C. Santos, July/2008, @ Bgamer

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter

Yeah, that's p. pathetic. Makes me appreciate Vault Dweller a lot more than these "mainstream" developers.

And this was MCA at the time:
View attachment 6496
Dat italian genetic makeup.

Yeah, we look great, unlike a certain merchant race...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom