Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Stop trolling. Where's his girlfriend? There's nothing on twitter and his facebook.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But MCA can't just have a girlfriend on twitter, without us seeing her.

Stop trolling. Where's his girlfriend? There's nothing on twitter and his facebook.

Haha you guys are blind/not-twitter-savvy.

CNJi0ejUYAAwKzq.jpg:orig

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe they will now. Obsidian is like Dilbert, only the boss gets to have kids

Fairfax

Arcane
Ha, yet but bedtime stories'll make up for it.
Chris Jr. is in for a treat.

‘An elderly man was sitting alone on a dark path, right? He wasn’t certain of which direction to go, and he’d forgotten both where he was travelling to and who he was. He’d sat down for a moment to rest his weary legs, and suddenly looked up to see an elderly woman before him. She grinned toothlessly and with a cackle, spoke: “Now your *third* wish. What will it be?”

“Third wish?” The man was baffled. “How can it be a third wish if I haven’t had a first and second wish?”

“You’d had two wishes already,” the hag said, “but your second wish was for me to return everything to the way it was before you had made your first wish. That is why you remember nothing; because everything is the way it was before you made any wishes.” She cackled at the poor berk. “So it is that you have one wish left.”

“All right,” said the man. “I don’t believe this; but there’s no harm in wishing. I wish to know who I am.”

“Funny,” said the old woman as she granted his wish and disappeared forever. “That was your first wish.”’

Wouldn't returning to the world in the state it was before making the first wish mean 3 wishes are intact? If not ,then the second wish were not granted fully and should be refunded.

Fairfax

Arcane
Wouldn't returning to the world in the state it was before making the first wish mean 3 wishes are intact? If not ,then the second wish were not granted fully and should be refunded.
Not the world, his memory. The second wish was to forget who he was.

It's a story Morte tells in PS:T, by the way, though I think that was Dave Maldonado, not MCA.

second wish was for me to return everything to the way it was before you had made your first wish. That is why you remember nothing; because everything is the way it was before you made any wishes.

The wish was to change the world state not memory.

Fairfax

Arcane
I like this one as well, from the same conversation with Yves:

"Once, a murderer roamed Sigil's streets, a black-hearted man by the name of Kossacs. He had been blessed by his Abyssal mother so that no one could strike him with an intent to harm or they themselves would die. He reveled in his blessing, using it to start fights and murder anyone who crossed his path."
"During one of his murderous rages, he was captured by the Harmonium with nets and brought before the Guvners. The trial was short, final, yet Kossacs laughed at the proceedings, knowing that no one among them could harm him without dying horribly. At the final day of his trial, he was proclaimed guilty and sentenced to death."
"Kossacs sentence proclaimed by the Guvners was this: 'Confinement for thrice-thirty days, during which time you shall give up your life, be declared dead, and your body removed when all signs of life cease.' Kossacs laughed and dared any of them to try and harm him, yet the court was silent."
"The Mercykillers lead Kossacs to their prison and locked him in a dark, empty cell. There was no cot, no lights, and the only door was a steel grate in the ceiling.
As they lowered him into the cell, the Mercykiller told him - in the corner of your cell will you find a chalice. It holds poison. Your death will be swift."
"'Aren't you going to execute me?' Kossacs snarled at the guard.
No one in Sigil shall lay a hand on you with intent to harm,' came the Mercykiller's reply.
"Then I spit on your cowardice!" Kossacs laughed, feeling for the chalice in the darkness, then hurling it at the wall and shattering it. Its poison dripped from the walls and dried, until it was no more. "Come then - you will have to try and kill me now."
"But there was no response from the grate in the ceiling. It was then that Kossacs noticed the cell had no cot. No lights. And no food and water. All that remained was the shattered chalice, the poison gone. And for the first time, Kossacs knew the icy touch of death's approach.
"In twice-thirty days, the grate opened, and Kossacs' body, now cold, was taken from the cell. It had given up its life, and the execution had been carried out."

second wish was for me to return everything to the way it was before you had made your first wish. That is why you remember nothing; because everything is the way it was before you made any wishes.

The wish was to change the world state not memory.
I've always assumed your question was the reason it was just about his memory, otherwise it is a flaw indeed.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I remember Kossacks story. It always chilled me to the bone.

Отправлено с моего SM-A510F через Tapatalk

Neanderthal

Arcane
Chris Jr. is in for a treat.

‘An elderly man was sitting alone on a dark path, right? He wasn’t certain of which direction to go, and he’d forgotten both where he was travelling to and who he was. He’d sat down for a moment to rest his weary legs, and suddenly looked up to see an elderly woman before him. She grinned toothlessly and with a cackle, spoke: “Now your *third* wish. What will it be?”

“Third wish?” The man was baffled. “How can it be a third wish if I haven’t had a first and second wish?”

“You’d had two wishes already,” the hag said, “but your second wish was for me to return everything to the way it was before you had made your first wish. That is why you remember nothing; because everything is the way it was before you made any wishes.” She cackled at the poor berk. “So it is that you have one wish left.”

“All right,” said the man. “I don’t believe this; but there’s no harm in wishing. I wish to know who I am.”

“Funny,” said the old woman as she granted his wish and disappeared forever. “That was your first wish.”’

Yeah so much fuckin detail an little stories like that, an swappin em wi Yves, personally I like Annahs one about wife who fucks up husbands deal wi a hag. Just resonates to anybody whose been married, you just know missus'd do shit like this.

Like that magical flying armada poundin a continent into non existence that you find in sensorium as well, where commanders trying to convince himself that his cause is righteous an failing.

Fairfax

Arcane
Neanderthal

"This berk's walkin' home real late, near anti-peak, an' passes an old toothless crone in a dark an' otherwise empty street. 'Where yeh goin'?' she asks him."
"'Home, to me wife an' kip,' he says."
"'Near the Slags?'" she asks him."
"'Sure enough,' he says."
"So she asks him a favor... ta take a box she's got ta Deader's Pit an' give it ta the woman there. Now this berk's a real sap, too nice ta say no despite the fact he's sure somethin's not quite *right* about this old crone, and agrees. 'But what's the woman's name?' he asks. 'Where does she live? Where should I look fer her if she's not by Deader's Pit?'"
"The woman hands him the box - a wooden thing, wrapped in colored cloth - an' tells him ta just go, an' she'll be there. Finally, she warns him: 'An' whatever yeh does, do *NOT* open the box!'"
"So he takes it home with him an' hides it in the rafters, thinkin' he'll bring it by Deader's Pit when it's light out. His wife, though, seein' him hidin' the box, gets right jealous thinkin' it's a gift fer a lover or somethin', an' opens it up as soon as he's not lookin'."
"Well, turns out the box was full o' gouged-out eyes an' severed male members with the hair still on 'em. Her scream brought the berk runnin'... he remembered what the crone said, got right scared and wrapped the box back up."
"He went out straight away ta Deader's Pit, an' sure enough there was another old hag waitin' there for him. He hands her the box, an' she says ta him: 'This box has been opened and looked into.'"
"The poor berk tries ta deny it, but she gets this dreadful look on her face. 'Ye've done somethin' horrible!' she tells him, then disappears. That done, he hurries back ta his kip."
"He's feelin' ill when he gets back, an' takes ta bed. His wife bitterly regretted openin' the box an' all, but it was too late... the next day he died of a rottin' disease, an' the first things ta go was his eyes an' stem."

Annah nodded grimly, her tale complete.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom