Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The bad part of working with someone else's IP is that one day they'll just take a giant dump on top of your creative effort.

I guess MCA isn't as attached to KOTOR 2 as the players are.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It doesn't matter though since what Kreia was teaching us is true for Star Wars in general. That's why the new movies will never go anywhere, they will flat out ignore the ramifications of Kreia's musings and will just rot in their own stagnation.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The Larian title is an error, it was likely legacy text. Am working on fixing it.

...and by fixing it, I mean I am sending my troops to attack Swen and seize control of Larian. His tallness will be no match for my vim and vigor.

DD: If you guys have any questions for the Beachside chat, including "why the hell is this at a beach," feel free to suggest it, and I can relay it to organizers.

And while you may be tempted to attack Drew, I'll go on record as saying KOTOR1 was a much better, cleaner, and polished experience than the second one, and most importantly, it was a finished experience (in the time I worked with them at Interplay, Ray and Greg never took the road of "quality when convenient" as heads of the studio, and often fought many battles to insure quality at risk to themselves, which is how it should be).

So I freely admit I enjoyed the first game and the narrative, and it made me enjoy Star Wars again. So yeah, I'd work with Drew in a heartbeat.

Also, if any Codexers are at DD, let me know (everyone I've met, from WL2 launch party, to PAX, to WonderCon has been great to chat with and drink with).

Such a fucking bro.

(and KOTOR 2 is way better than KOTOR 1 :mca:)
Yeah, he can say that it was a cleaner, more polished experience, but come on, it wasn't better.

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
Doesn't seem out of place for him?

Pretty much since he has twitter he posted weird rpg ideas.

There's a good chance he's talking about something I recently sent him, though knowing MCA, it could just as well be some random crap.

Also, holy fucking shit, a huge conference in my home town, and it's behind a 300 euro admission fee?! Fuck this life! Fuck eeeeeeeet!

Was so close to meeting them all in person. Hope is kill...

:negative:

Last edited:
Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
Any other Crobros in this thread? We gotta find a way to crash that conference... with no survivors.

Fuck, I'd give my nonexistant firstborn to shake MCA's hand. And Swen's gonna be there too!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Avellone's talk will be the only one of interest tomorrow (well, maybe Vavra's too).

Looking at Reboot's YouTube channel, last year they seem to have uploaded videos a few days after the conference ended...but only two of them. This is a very new conference so it's unclear if things will work the same this year.

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
Dang.

Hmmm... So the question is, how the hell do I Codex my way in and meet MCA for an interview, without regurgitating 300+ euros for the entry fee?

Fuck, so close, yet so far away...

animlboogy

Learned
The bad part of working with someone else's IP is that one day they'll just take a giant dump on top of your creative effort.

I guess MCA isn't as attached to KOTOR 2 as the players are.

Professional writers learn to watch their children die.

Fans cling to them forever.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Dang.

Hmmm... So the question is, how the hell do I Codex my way in and meet MCA for an interview, without regurgitating 300+ euros for the entry fee?

Fuck, so close, yet so far away...

You camp outside the entrance and jump him when he is trying to get in or get out.

ArchAngel

Arcane
MCA's arms are huge in those pictures.. has he decided to become a body builder suddenly?

Thonius

Arcane
I got it. One day MCA invited Josh to gym to pump some iron and talk about his turn based "codex-dream" rpg. So when MCA tried to do his 200kg bench press Josh supposed to be watching him, but Josh being cycle-bro was distracted by instagramm filled with bicycles and latte coffee. Case closed.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ding_to_narrative_designer_Chris_Avellone.php

Life after leaving a game studio, according to narrative designer Chris Avellone

Chris Avellone is known for his RPG work, from the Fallout series, to the co-founding of Obsidian studios – and while he's still working largely in that arena, he's now a free agent, split off from the confines of a single company. And he couldn't be happier.

"I love to write for computer games. I love to design for computer games," he said during a chat at Reboot Develop. "So what I do now is I roll out of bed. I don't get dressed. I don't shower. I just start writing immediately. All my Skype calls have no video. And then I go to bed after about 11 hours, and I think 'that was a very productive day.'"

"I guess the important thing is, this is the first time in my life I've actually had a chance to just do writing and design full time," he added, "and that's all I ever wanted to do.

"I never realized how much time was consumed going into work, having meetings, doing owner stuff. I didn't realize how exhausting that stuff was. It was harder knowing how the sausage was made. And knowing the sausage, and knowing the pigs. And crying. I don't cry as much."

When it comes to creating lore and tying it together, Avellone has been writing short fiction, and some key learnings have come from that. "I realized that short stories are fine, but trying to write novels… I don't understand how novelists do it," he said. "There's a lot of moving parts and very long prose work. The first novel I tried to write, I'm still stuck on the last six chapters, thinking 'how do I tie all this stuff together?'"

Avellone referenced wikis for sprawling narratives like George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire, because Game of Thrones has a wiki where people keep track of everything for him.

"Bethesda mentioned… I shouldn't say this, but they said 'we don't track everything anymore, we just go to the wiki and figure out what the crossed lines are for everything, that's basically our game design document now.'”

Now that he's in a pure creative role, Avellone doesn't see himself going back to running a studio. "I have been tempted," he said, "but the challenges with that are, you have to hire the right individuals, you have to set up your own company, and once you start doing that you enter into more of a management role and less of a creative role.

"So more what I want is to get involved in companies that have all that set up, and I can just get involved in just a creative capacity."

But there are challenges with this as well, for example with Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II. "I've got to put myself in the mindset of George Lucas, and… write like him, with a lot of vowels and stuff. Like Count Dooku, what is that?"

"You have to figure out what the franchise holder writes and thinks like, and follow that. You can't put forth every thought you have, you have to make sure it's consistent with the franchise.”

But even so, sometimes he's able to put himself and his ideas into a game that's established. "If you think you can't insert yourself into an established franchise, that's bullshit," he says. “For FTL I didn't have a lot of questions about that franchise, so I mostly enjoyed all the races and encounters.

"Writing the slug encounters was actually really amusing because they're so selfish and self absorbed. But when I came to Star Wars, I had a lot of questions about that franchise and a little bit of frustration, and that got channeled into some characters."

A franchise or series of tropes can sometimes throttle creativity, he says. “Why are there halflings in this game, why are there hobbits – well, because it's Tolkien. We're investing in this because it's Tolkien."

"Sometimes I want to grab him by the collar and be like 'Do you know what you did for computer gaming, for all time!?' Like 'oh, I'm a blood elf, and I can do anything, and everything I touch comes to life.' Fuck blood elves.”

Athelas

Arcane
So what I do now is I roll out of bed. I don't get dressed.
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

"Bethesda mentioned… I shouldn't say this, but they said 'we don't track everything anymore, we just go to the wiki and figure out what the crossed lines are for everything, that's basically our game design document now.'”
:lol: Guess he gave up on the faint hope of ever working on Fallout again.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom