Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Viata

Arcane
wolf joke

Well, the commenter has gone by two usernames so far, AnAuldWolf and WerewolfFindsDragon. Also there was a user named drakonianwolf54 here who seems upset with NMA for being against talking death claws that I suspect may be the same person.

It make sense from a cosmic perspective that MCA's bitterest critic would take the form of wolf themed aliases.
Now I'm sure that guy is just trolling.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
https://www.reddit.com/r/otherkin/comments/3hindy/im_sorry_but_this_sounds_insane/cuc3xkv?context=3

WerewolfFindsDragon said:
That's self recognition, not self awareness. Self awareness is what it says on the tin -- having the capacity to be aware of self. To recognise or not recognise oneself in the mirror doesn't dictate any quotient (high or low) of self awareness This is a pet peeve of mine, as it's a common mistake made by those who really aren't very educated in either.

In fact, it's dubious whether some human life forms possess true self awareness. Consider, if you will, a person on the extreme edge of extraversion. This creature lives in the moment and rarely thinks before acting, the very notion of introspection is an alien concept to them. Yet according to what is considered to be self awareness, introspection is a necessary factor. Thus, this example proves that not all humans may possess self awareness, though it's probable that most humans possess self recognition.

Self awareness in and of itself is tied to identity, not the physical body. To have a profound understanding of one's own identity -- to wit, one's self -- is to be self aware. One can identify as something other than their human form and still be self aware, even if this identity recognises itself as a cat, not a human.

A cat, however, likely does not possess self awareness as it most likely has no concept of its own identity -- its own self. It acts upon what the body wants, when the body wants it. The higher functioning and introspective elements that define awareness are most likely not present in the mind of a cat.

Thus, one can self recognise as a cat and still be self aware. The most prominent scientific touchstone would be species dysphoria; A detachment from the identity and the physical form is commonplace. This can be a desire to be of a different ethnicity, gender, or even species. Ultimately, the identity would still be human as the mind which thinks is physically a human mind. Yet it might not be able to fully realise itself in a human body.

If such a mind observes a human body, this may initially cause discomfort. Eventually the person comes to terms with this and is capable of accepting that this is merely the way things are and that little can be done. That the recognition isn't tied to the human form, however, is still a factor. This is simply how brains work. The brain is a complicated thing, not every mind is going to be immediately familiar and comfortable with the form it's in.

This has nothing to do with an identity disorder as the identity is intact. It's only the recognition of self that is different from another person, and it's no more a disorder than it is to be transgendered. It is, in fact, an innate part of the human condition. So long as we can imagine; And Dream; And wonder, we shall face anomalies versus the norm, status quo, and zeitgeist as a factor of everyday life.

Normality itself is a bizarre construct as no human alive is actually normal enough to fit in with it, no normal person is actually normal. They just want to believe they are. Every human alive has quirks, it's just that some are more pronounced than others.

Brains will be huge, complicated, and filled with so many variables that you can't boil it down to a concept so simple as to be simple-minded such as normalcy. Try to adhere, you will lose your mind. We must accept these variations from human to human, it is a Cosmopolitan belief.

It is also where, for further reading, the philosophy of morphological freedom comes from. At some point in the distant future, it will be an inalienable right. Hearing of people who identify as dragons and even seeing dragons wandering around will be fairly normal by that point because everyone will be giving it a go.

There will be a point where we'll change bodies as we do our socks.

Ultimately, this discussion as it is will be moot. I do wonder about the xenophobia that would lead one to be passive-aggressive with a question such as this, though. Hm. Have you had your oxytocin levels checked, AtheistPi? They may be too high. Definitely something to look into??

:avatard:

pippin

I think we finally know what can change the nature of a man person animal dragon cat I give up men.

Modron

Arcane
When I play Fallout 2 I usually take Goris as a companion; he's a bro and his claws do a ton of damage. But the whole talking deathclaw thing was pretty dumb.

Eh Goris' disrobing animation before mods fixed it generally meant I didn't take him as often as other characters.

animlboogy

Learned
One step closer to getting him back on Fallout. If that series is gonna be a jokey mess of references and over the top situations, I'd rather MCA be the one writing it.

Rev

Arcane
One step closer to getting him back on Fallout. If that series is gonna be a jokey mess of references and over the top situations, I'd rather MCA be the one writing it.
He complained about wasting his time at Obsidian for twelve years in pretty much all his last interviews. It would be ironic for him to go working at Bethesda, then.

LizardWizard

Cipher

This is the guy that wrote too much content for even Obsidian. Imagine Avellone presenting Todd with 10000 words for some side quest after not realizing the Bethesda standard 180 character limit for dialogue responses.

Fairfax

Arcane
More on his role on Prey:

FO1 is his favourite:

Reiterating that he'll never work with Obsidian again:

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Dude was embarrassing himself.
Obsi is dead, but only because they are creatively bankrupt.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Definition of creative non-bankruptcy - creating slam-dunk sequels of other companies' IPs

Fairfax

Arcane
MCA working on System Shock...1:

To help shape and direct the existing narrative of System Shock, we've enlisted the help of Chris Avellone, who is best known for his work on a number of role-playing games, including; Fallout: New Vegas, Wasteland 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, Planescape: Torment, and Fallout 2. Chris will be working closely with Stephen Kick (our Creative Director) and Jason Fader (our Project Director and Senior Producer from Fallout: New Vegas) as well as several other key developers from Fallout: New Vegas to bring modern AAA quality into the world of System Shock.

e3a9e7435a0eccdabed08f1d35c0d6cf_original.png

Chris has been a long-time fan of the System Shock series, and we’re very eager to work with his design expertise to improve Citadel Station.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What, because of him? Not really, the thread's just old, we've known about this game for a while.

Fairfax

Arcane
No, I'd guess it's because of the console port, "AAA" stuff, "reboot", "modern version", etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom