Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Fairfax

Arcane
They said several months ago that it was just missing the cover art, and in the end it sucked anyway (and also has speedpaint quality).

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
A0_POSTER_WHO-AM-I_A3_300dpi_700.jpg

Hmm... looks familiar...

Sannom

Augur
First thing, having only read the first 20 pages or so : this is definitely something "experimental". Because why else would there be lore dumps and item descriptions (with associated gameplay effects) whenever an element of the setting is mentioned.

Also, temples of Wael have a Welcoming Pit (which is exactly what it says on the tin) and the people inside apparently survive on a diet of fungus and reeds which grow on the flayed skins of trolls. And I thought Wael was weird before.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And finished. House of Leaves Wael is difficult to read at first, because of what Sannom mentioned, but it gets easier as it goes. If you thought Eternity's setting was too mundane before, this is the story to check out, because it's full of a lot of magical weirdness. I imagine some might not like all the questions that go unanswered or the immersion-breaking game description parts. There was a sentence at the end that didn't make sense ("using its waters... or is its reflection.") and I don't know if it's intentional or sloppy editing.

It takes place well after the events of Pillars of Eternity, so it'll be interesting to see if Obsidian ever does anything to contradict it. +M

Fairfax

Arcane

Interesting. The way Feargus tells the story it sounds like it was definitely LucasArts' fault. I wonder who MCA blames instead...

He doesn't deny it, but probably just being facetious. I wouldn't read too much into it. Still, I guess it's fair to assume that his work on Prey would bring him closer to working on Fallout if it's any good.

:littlemissfun:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Someone on reddit" lol

Interesting. The way Feargus tells the story it sounds like it was definitely LucasArts' fault. I wonder who MCA blames instead...

Not so much. In recent years (starting from before MCA's departure) Obsidian have taken to blaming themselves for KOTOR2's uncompletion as much or more than they blame LucasArts. There's probably even a Feargus interview saying it.

Fairfax

Arcane
"Someone on reddit" lol

Not so much. In recent years (starting from before MCA's departure) Obsidian have taken to blaming themselves for KOTOR2's uncompletion as much or more than they blame LucasArts. There's probably even a Feargus interview saying it.
I remember one of these quite clearly: Feargus said it was his fault he didn't push harder and that they only had a verbal agreement on the release date. He basically takes the blame for allowing LucasArts to do it, but it's still implied that they got shafted.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I would be cool if MCA got a starring role in next Fallout game, at least there would be a chance that something playable would come out of it.

Rev

Arcane
I would be cool if MCA got a starring role in next Fallout game, at least there would be a chance that something playable would come out of it.
It would still be shit as every other Bethesda game, only with some good writing and quests. There just isn't any good in his possible choice of working there, he wouldn't change anything in how Bethesda make their games, it would only mean that MCA doesn't care about working on RPGs (or good games, for that matter) anymore.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Unless Bethesda think that MCA narrative is not suitable to their wacky themepark vision of Fallout and 80% of MCA writing ended up on cutting floor.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unless Bethesda think that MCA narrative is not suitable to their wacky themepark vision of Fallout and 80% of MCA writing ended up on cutting floor.
Bethesda doesn't have a vision, they got a goddamn kitchensink that someone pissed in. It's probably radioactive too.

Sannom

Augur
Something playable came out of New Vegas but that was mostly John Gonzalez (narrative) and Josh Sawyer (systems). The same amount of MCA writing into the Bethesda framework wouldn't affect it much.

Lhynn

Arcane
Something playable came out of New Vegas but that was mostly John Gonzalez (narrative) and Josh Sawyer (systems). The same amount of MCA writing into the Bethesda framework wouldn't affect it much.
I agree, if we got MCA on systems tho, thatd be something id want to play.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
MCA with his high-flown ideas working for Todd...? Somehow that reminds me of this clip:

Although, a guy like MCA in the right position might be just the sort of thing Bethesda games need to become playable at least on some level. Should something like that ever happen.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Was MCA in starring role in FNV? What is your point?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy

Please, don't. I still have nightmares with Alpha Protocol minigames.

So what we really need is a John Gonzalez appreciation station, m'kay.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Please, don't. I still have nightmares with Alpha Protocol minigames.

AP had the best minigames ever. They were exciting, required good hand-eye coordination and they weren't about random luck. And they also fit the spy theme very much. The only problem with them is the shitty mouse support, they functioned better with a controller.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MCA wont change bethesda unless he is willing to work full time and given creative authority (but he hates managerial position, so i dunno how he would work)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom