Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum Chris Avellone Arcanum LP

If there has been a more pathetic attempt at an LP, I'm not aware of it.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
If there has been a more pathetic attempt at an LP, I'm not aware of it.
Go watch some of the older "episodes" of Retsupurae then. Avellone is bad but (and this might surprise people) he's not shit. I mean, as far as the recording setup goes, speaking technically here, he's somewhere between "acceptable" and "garbage". Again, not shit. Because at least he's not using a camcorder.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
You mean, the game is well-designed, but its quests, skill system, experience system, combat, items, and interface are broken?

QC and balancing iterations (their lack of) are to blame for that stuff. Also including RT mode and TB mode made combat a clusterfuck.

Arcanum was a rough gem coated with shit, but you seem to think that it blows.

If you would like a polished turd with no substance, I am sure there are some popamoles more suited to your tastes.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, this lp has once more been abandoned. I'm fine with that. It served its purpose. Avellone has been outed as the popamole larper we all knew him to be. He must now start a modded Skyrim lp, so we can all see to what depths his larping will sink. (Though the first 4 hours will probably consist of him picking out mods, installing them, and then cursing at the computer when they all conflict.)

Well, that was sort of the idea. Avellone was playing Arcanum for the comedy of it, not because he is a gaming badass who was going to show us how it was done.

For that matter, the AVGN and most other media personalities aren't gaming badasses.

Last edited:

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
QC and balancing iterations (their lack of) are to blame for that stuff. Also including RT mode and TB mode made combat a clusterfuck.

If you would like a polished turd with no substance, I am sure there are some popamoles more suited to your tastes.
Huh? Arcanum is one of my favourite RPGs ever. The reason is that it's one of the only real RPGs ever made for the PC.

It still blows hard, and you don't do anybody any favours by pretending it's well-designed.

Iirc MCA's favorite old CRPGs are Wizard's Crown and Eternal Dagger; it shows he used to be able to play challenging and non-handholding games, at least.

So I guess it has to do with what tuluse says.

That he designs games playing to his strengths (that is, easymode talkfests), not games like the ones he personally likes to play. The fact he sucks terribly at Arcanum could be ascribed to him not playing many other games since Wizard's Crown and Eternal Dagger. :M

Huh? Arcanum is one of my favourite RPGs ever. The reason is that it's one of the only real RPGs ever made for the PC.

It still blows hard, and you don't do anybody any favours by pretending it's well-designed.
Arcanum doesn't blow. Sure it has its faults...but there was enough potential in it for modders to make it an enjoyable enjoyable experience...and by that I don't mean the kind of mods RK47 likes to use for his Skyrim LP.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Arcanum doesn't blow. Sure it has its faults...but there was enough potential in it for modders to make it an enjoyable enjoyable experience...and by that I don't mean the kind of mods RK47 likes to use for his Skyrim LP.

Most character development options are dead ends and don't become relevant until hours into the game, if ever.

Most character development options are dead ends and don't become relevant until hours into the game, if ever.
I won't deny that...and I don't feel like starting what is a cRPG sperging... and tbh, i found Arcanum, Fallout 1 and VtMB to be the best cRPGs I have ever played (well admittedly i have yet to try goldbox, betrayal, arkania and stuff... yes i am young and my generation is :decline: look at that twilight shit). i mean I don't get the fapfest over any of the IE games except MotB and PST. FUCK RTwP. FUCK THAT SHIT.

Thing is playing Arcanum, despite its broken char dev/combat was fun. I mean derping around with dominate mind teleportation and all that stuff. And the best part was it was way too easy to get really OP cheesing and rape everything. it was replay value through sandboxish metagming whichmade it no1 for me.

i am playing thru Ultima 7 and Wiz8 now. U7 is shaping out to be pretty good. Wiz8 si good, but tbh, I am not a blobber maniac.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

a cut of domestic sheep prime

He needs to upload some vids if he's still playing!

I want to see how he does at Age Of Decadence - 5000 reloads later...."Maybe if I try talking my way out instead of just equiping my merchant with a broadsword and running at everyone... Also, how come these magic items Feng sold me aren't helping?"

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
what are dlg logic chains? googling doesn't help me out.

In dialogs where there is the possibilty of achieving something special and/or resolving a quest, when first choosing the one line that is the first step to reach that goal, you're forced into a dialog chain because :

- most of the time following that first step, the successive dialog states display only one option to further that step's logic, and instead of a dialog tree, you wind up following a single branch or a chain, beating the purpose of a dialog tree in the first place ;
- the dialog options the first step unlocks often simply disappears if you go back to a basic topic of conversation, which is obfuscating and unfair (for example in dialog you get the opportunity to recruit a character and if you want to review every other bit of dialog before making your decision you just end up losing that opportunity once and for all, because it never reappears), ToEE had this too and it was even worse.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom