Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone on lessons learned and future plans at RPGamer

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He was exaggerating.

Of course, they didn't let the algorithm run and call it a day. The thing both scenes had in common was that they looked a bit amateurish—really, like awkward actors stumbling over a scene in a film, or the not-quite-natural animation of games that started to really explore cinematic character interactions (i.e. almost everything pre-Mass Effect). Most of the time, the animators would take what the generator had created, then go into the timeline to tweak it by hand, which could deliver a much better scene in just a few minutes.

I suppose if some of the filler side quest "Geralt and a guy just stand there talking to each other" animations look like that, they were untouched.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anyway what I was originally getting at was the notion that cdproject could deliver cinematic experience on such scale, because they were paying with potato dollars.
This is still true, given the exchange rate of the dollar and the zloty.

P.S.

Were I to design a conversation system now, I'd push for a workflow based on fast and accessible face & body capture rather than algorithms.

While it hasn't 100% proved this method, Horizon Zero Dawn's better scenes succeed due to a use of facial mocap.

The one positive to come out of all this is that AAA story-heavy games can't skimp on the animation quality with a systemic approach alone.

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
all nonsense, the lipsync was shit because the animator was a secret trump voter, perhaps even a fucking white male, they can fix that by only hiring POCs with majors in social studies, black history, liberal arts etc, which will do wonders for the quality of the product

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom