Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chrono Trigger

Ash

Arcane
It would be probably a big hit if released today as is (for modern platforms, that is)
It'd just get forgotten because the waifus aren't waifu enough.
And the braindead gameplay where you can just mash A and beat most encounters as long as you remember to heal. That too.

Don't forget that's pretty much all you do too. walk -> fight braindead battle -> watch story scene -> walk -> fight braindead battle -> watch story scene.

There's the occassional (bad) mini-game to mix it up, and the occasional actually interesting bit of level design, yet most of it is just like this incredibly barebones mostly linear non-interactive shit:

ChronoTrigger600GuardiaForest.png

Goddamn nostalgic storyfaggots. Like I said, FF6 vs CT, the choice is clear. FF6 actually delivers a full package and doesn't waste your time with hours upon hours of brainless gameplay. Even if the starting few hours is a bit painfully close to CT in gameplay depth (yet even then still a lot better), but thankfully it gets progressively more complex the further you get.

Last edited:

Okagron

Prophet
I replayed it a couple of years ago after not playing it for years and it's still good. Pretty great actually.

The music though, it's probably one of my favorite OST ever

Viata

Arcane
as for FF6 vs CT... thats actually a really tough fucking choice. Those are probably tied for all-around best JRPGs of all time alternating with each other between #2 and #3 spots.

#1 spot is obviously occupied by Terranigma.
Fixed #1. As for FF6 and CT being #2 and #3: :lol::lol::roll:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Viata

We should make a Top JRPG voting thread; stuff like Wizardry remakes or Ultima IV (Master System remake) should be allowed as well and obviously non-official translations should also be allowed.

Im too lazy to make the poll thread though

Viata

Arcane
True that. Great game has great ost:

Based Mitsuda. Had he not said "let me do some fucking ost or I'm out, Square", CC wouldn't have this blessed OST.
Although both FF6 and CT are not even top 10(or top 100 :positive:) in my favorites SNES jrpg.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I think xenogears is legit a top 5 jrpg sure its anime mechs and edge-lord soylent green references but goddamn is it an operatic grand adventure!

Ash

Arcane
it took 'final fantasy' 6 tries to get decent and even then the series routinely ignores FFT, which is the best of them all

both chrono games are legendary on their own

the choice is clear]

Wut?

To start with, FF5 is gud.
Second, you say it took FF x amount of tries to get good...you do know CT is by the same company and many of the same developers as FF, right? And much of the design formula is the same? Turn based, gather up a party of charming characters, heroically progress through the world in a linear fashion battling monsters while the story beats play out. Dungeons, towns and an overworld. They could have called Chrono Trigger "FF7" and no one would have been any wiser, aside from the massive gameplay decline from FF5 and 6. Would be like going back to FF4 intentional dumbing down tier.

CT is decline. Sorry to reveal your childhood masterpieceofshit for what it is :smug:

(yes yes I am being overly harsh. It's equivalent to FF4. fun little story, nice art, nice music etc...garbage gameplay).

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
it took 'final fantasy' 6 tries to get decent and even then the series routinely ignores FFT, which is the best of them all

both chrono games are legendary on their own

the choice is clear]

Wut?

To start with, FF5 is gud.
Second, you say it took FF x amount of tries to get good...you do know CT is by the same company and many of the same developers as FF, right? And much of the design formula is the same? Turn based, gather up a party of charming characters, heroically progress through the world in a linear fashion battling monsters while the story beats play out. Dungeons, towns and an overworld. They could have called Chrono Trigger "FF7" and no one would have been any wiser, aside from the massive gameplay decline from FF5 and 6. Would be like going back to FF4 intentional dumbing down tier.

CT is decline. Sorry to reveal your childhood masterpieceofshit for what it is :smug:

(yes yes I am being overly harsh. It's equivalent to FF4. fun little story, nice art, nice music etc...garbage gameplay).
you tried so hard to disprove a joke edge post that you went full retard

Okagron

Prophet
About Chrono Cross, i have no real solid opinion on it. I like the music, the battle system and most of the characters. But the story left me scratching my head on several occasions.

Maybe i need to give it another playthrough. A lot of the times a second playthrough tends to give me a much more solid outlook on the game as a whole than the first playthrough.

Viata

Arcane
I love CC. But many people dislike it for not being the "true CT sequel". There is one thing I really hate in CC, though, it is about playable characters. You have like 100 characters to recruit, but 95%(maybe 99%) of them has 0 input in the plot, there is no background about them and are there just for the sake of having more playable characters.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I love CC. But many people dislike it for not being the "true CT sequel". There is one thing I really hate in CC, though, it is about playable characters. You have like 100 characters to recruit, but 95%(maybe 99%) of them has 0 input in the plot, there is no background about them and are there just for the sake of having more playable characters.

good PoE review

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
FFT seemed to take quite a lot from FF5 in terms of class mutability, which is fucking amazing. I loved FF6 for several reasons, one of them being Kefka.

To compare CT to FF6 is both difficult and easy if that makes sense. Their systems are quite similar and yet decidedly different at the same time. Same with their stories. I feel like CT's story was complex in some areas but more due to the Time Travel element than anything, while at the same time FF6's had quite a significant amount of character growth and arc. That's not to say that CT did not, but the growth and development of characters, their story arcs, seemed to pale in comparison significantly to that of FF6. In addition, both had a level of non-linearity coupled with a structured story line that followed a general path. The way the element of non-linearity was approached was completely different however, and with CT, if I recall, it was quite non-linear at different points while following a structured story, while with FF6, a good amount of the entire second half of the game was non-linear. World of Ruin. Still remember the Nintendo Power series on the game, 3 issues in all, and the map that came with the game. World of Balance on one side, World of Ruin on the other. And the manual. That was the good old days of gaming. Didn't have to pay extra for that shit or buy some goddamn special edition. Was built right in as part of the game.

What a sad sad time we live in.

Anyway, I really love both games. Still, FF6 holds a place in my heart as the first Squaresoft game I played, and arguably their best FF game.

7 to me is one of the most overrated fucking games out there. It started off really strong, that dystopian city and all that, but fuck if it didn't turn to shit a little over halfway thru.

Fuck Square Enix and their EMO FAG character design. Fuck Vaan. Fuck the decline.

baturinsky

Arcane
FF7 materia linking was quite interesting, though. Path of Exile borrowed and expanded upon it.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
We should make a Top JRPG voting thread; stuff like Wizardry remakes or Ultima IV (Master System remake) should be allowed as well and obviously non-official translations should also be allowed.

Little point to it, nobody except you had ever played it.

cruel

Cipher
Fight with Giga Gaia was a big surprise in terms of difficulty - died 3 times before I was able to do it properly. So game is easy, but has its moments when some brain is required. Still close to 10/10.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Max Stats

Liturgist
FF6 actually delivers a full package and doesn't waste your time with hours upon hours of brainless gameplay

You must never have spent much time trying to learn Gau's shit on the Veldt. It doesn't get more hours upon hours of brainless than that.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah I ignored that shit for the most part. That and the Colosseum. Neither are particularly fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom