Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Citadel of the Black Sun, cancelled SSI-published German RPG

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Amiga looking over their shoulder to PC.

PC looking down at Amstrad and shaking head.

And I had a ZX Spectrum with 48Kb... volatile memory... 8 colors, but only 2 colors per screen sector of 8x8 pixels... :D

Ladonna

Arcane
Commodore 64 versus Apple II versus ZX Spectrum versus Atari 800 versus Amstrad versus BBC micro versus Microbee...those were the days.

The PC was never considered a gaming machine by anyone I knew back then. The sound was the big killer, along with the 'must have decent monitor or it will suck'.

It was all 8 bit machines and then the Big Step Up to 16 bit Amiga, or if you chose the wrong horse, an Atari ST.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I fondly remember the horrid beeps and squeeks my pc speaker used to make. Grating at best and often just nerve shattering. Like fingernails over a blackboard. And then we had EGA/CGA for a long time. I was constantly in awe when I visited relatives who had an amiga. The thing was lightyears ahead and also had way better ports and games. When the amiga died slowly (I honestly blame piracy as much as shit ceo's) it still took the pc ages to catch up. Not to mention that to have a decent soundcard and svga videocard in addition to a good processor you had to spend, spend, spend.

Still, many people had pc's first here. Mostly because the c64 and msx's home computers where slowly replaced by people getting obsolete pc's for free from their work. Even when the thing was old and not much use for anything other than spreadsheets it was free and a, oooh, genuine computer. And most of these people really didn't care about gaming. They just talked up the bookkeeping benefits and left it at that. So, amiga always had a tough going in the Netherlands.

Anyway, there must be tons of great projects still floating around out there. People have found obscure expansion packs for sale at ebay that noone ever heard about, entire game projects that never got mentioned apart from one preview in some mag and so on. Some even given a new life through some enthousiast. Gives me hope that one day we'll see, for instance, the vanished game that the guys from MOO, MOO2 and MOM where working on when they went down. Apparantly they shipped review copies out of Mechlords at one point. Someone probably still has it sitting on an old cd somewhere...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom