Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cities : Skylines

Turjan

Arcane
Sure and all very interesting but manually deciding when to have a disaster defeats the purpose. I want them to be random, so that they are challenges not the equivalent of a kid destroying his sandcastle
Maybe, my point in this regard got lost, but those aren't really any fun in any game I saw them. Tropico has them, but it also is a good example for the point that you have to keep disasters pitifully ineffective in order to be able to integrate them into normal gameplay. This is also the reason why fires don't spread in this game, as, realistically, in any case this happens, your city will be dead.

It will take decades for the city to recover from that flood up there.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
Sure and all very interesting but manually deciding when to have a disaster defeats the purpose. I want them to be random, so that they are challenges not the equivalent of a kid destroying his sandcastle
Maybe, my point in this regard got lost, but those aren't really any fun in any game I saw them. Tropico has them, but it also is a good example for the point that you have to keep disasters pitifully ineffective in order to be able to integrate them into normal gameplay. This is also the reason why fires don't spread in this game, as, realistically, in any case this happens, your city will be dead.

It will take decades for the city to recover from that flood up there.
That's a matter of the right level of challenge, the right amount of randomness

Business cycles reducing/increasing economic demand and indirectly your tax collection. Or fluctuations in crime, environmental movements, anti-nuclear whatever. Maybe the unions or SJWs or the gays demand you pass a certain policy and block the roads, maybe you give in or send in the police to quieten them down

I also think having some kind of election cycle, so you need to be popular every 4 years or so would make you balance long term and short term objectives

Turjan

Arcane
That's a matter of the right level of challenge, the right amount of randomness
Except maybe a tornado, which is usually limited to a smaller area, a "right level of challenge" is, most of the time, simply unrealistic. Also, personally I would switch disasters off. They just disturb.
Business cycles reducing/increasing economic demand and indirectly your tax collection. Or fluctuations in crime, environmental movements, anti-nuclear whatever. Maybe the unions or SJWs or the gays demand you pass a certain policy and block the roads, maybe you give in or send in the police to quieten them down.
I can imagine some of this, as long as it does not interfere with how I want to build that city. It's basically a different kind of game you want.
I also think having some kind of election cycle, so you need to be popular every 4 years or so would make you balance long term and short term objectives
Yeah, we've seen how well that went in Tropico. Who would want to lose a city by losing an election? Not fun. In the end, you have to make this feature as laughable as it was in Tropico to make it bearable. In the last version I played of that game, it was pretty much impossible to lose an election. When it was still slightly more challenging, you could just give some tax relief, and everything was peachy. Honestly, that's either just window dressing or a major nuisance.

In principle, this game wants to follow up on SC4. It's somewhat simplified compared to the latter, but it's mostly spot on as far as the features are concerned.

Turjan

Arcane

I'm not quite sure what to think about it yet. Trams are nice, but let's see how they are implemented. There will be weather effects (rain and fog) on all themes. Snow is a separate map theme though, which means we are not dealing with season changes here.

Perkel

Arcane
In that case, meh. Thought this was a season thing.

Hard to implement. It would require non janky texture swaps that would put game under a bus in therms of performance compared to original game. Also it would make mods way more harder to make (as it would require basically at least 2 models)

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
Even if there are seasons what would the gameplay challenge be?

If its' just for looks sounds like a stupid thing to spend money on, I could play Morrowind instead

Turjan

Arcane
You have a few gameplay elements, like needing more power, some kind of heating source (it sounded... weird... something with water), snowplows...

But yeah, it's not much. I hope they fix at least the tourism bug. Regarding traffic, I don't expect anything, but I know most workarounds.

I'm a sucker for trams in my cities though. They will probably give traffic the final infarct from clogging, but hey...

Turjan

Arcane
WOW. Sounds worthwhile
Trams are part of the public transport system in many European cities. That's actually something many people asked for, so it isn't anything to complain about in principle. The city I live in still has a tram route network of about 110 miles (about 270 miles track length), compared to about 50 miles of subway routes.

The issue will be how they implement it. Buses have been no problem anymore since they made bus stops separate lanes, so let's hope they do something intelligent with tram stops.

Turjan

Arcane
DLC is out, and it's decidedly half-assed. Haven't bought it, but they have a patch that brings some joy to all your cities.
Gorgeous mountains of shit:
0Dsiwrf.jpg

Shiny rocks:
P4eOMyT.jpg

And your roads got laminated so they don't dissolve:
f1mou30.jpg

Sigh...

Of course, the patch/mod update combo broke everything for the moment.
At least the light got somewhat prettier (in one of my oldest cities that at least still loads):
XSLjCfk.jpg

Which still isn't much of a consolation.

Why do companies have to do shitty updates like this one?

Edit: The German mag Gamestar has a review on their site:
http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/citie...t/cities_skylines_snowfall,53587,3268183.html
Verdict: 58/100

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
To be fair, this winter looks pretty much like that.
If those images were from a winter map...

Unfortunately, those are from my current city that I have been building for weeks and that got "beautified" by the weather update. Now, a nuclear bomb is the only option.

Edit: One further free addition is actually a theme editor. Which is rather cool. When they introduced the feature, they replaced the rock textures with a pic of Dolph Lundgren. Not sure whether an improvement.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
Trams = reskinned buses.
Heat = reskinned water system.
Hmm, the heating system is in principle the way how most households in the city I live get heated. Not that it's overly interesting.

I'm not sure what you mean with trams as reskinned buses. Trams and the theme editor are the two really good things in this DLC. You have trams on roads or on standalone tracks. The execution could be better (the way they realized avenue stations requires trams with doors on both sides, but the lines need loops), but it's definitely a different system from anything else that is in the game at the moment.

Turjan

Arcane
Some mod updates made my main city difficult to load in the meanwhile, but that has been solved now. I'm still waiting for a performance patch.

What I said about the lighting update up there seems to have solved some of the issues with the lighting after the AD update. At least, if I look at my current city, sunrises look quite nice:

GCiuUiT.jpg

smUOkv8.jpg

WXJxPGX.jpg

mkXWFfX.jpg

rfXBI8b.jpg

Ud1Ka47.jpg

Still waiting for the second patch though.

Turjan

Arcane
Just to be fair, last week's patch fixed most of the complaints I had with how the game looks now.

9HXNeFs.jpg

Also, bugs are fixed. That still doesn't make the winter stuff more exciting, but at least the main game looks nice enough now.

Also, coming back to this old comment:
Hard to implement. It would require non janky texture swaps that would put game under a bus in therms of performance compared to original game. Also it would make mods way more harder to make (as it would require basically at least 2 models)
Funny enough, they made winter work in a more intelligent way. You don't need different models. Snow is actually layered onto existing models. Which basically leaves the performance excuse, which is what they bring up for all the shortcomings (like the traffic AI). At least the latter can be tackled with additional roads and/or mods.

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Anyone still playing this, or did they manage to sink a promising game with two lackluster expansions?

Turjan

Arcane
Anyone still playing this, or did they manage to sink a promising game with two lackluster expansions?
I'm currently taking a break, but not because I dislike the game. I just have to play something else for a while and intend to go back to this at some point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom