Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization V

sheek

Arbiter
Who's got it and are you happy with it?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Very dissapointing. But at least I can base this statement on actual gameplay and experience. Avoid for now, until gets patched/expanded.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I bought it, and I'm disappointed.

If you want to know what's wrong with the game skip Skyway's inane ramblings and read some of Sulla's walkthroughs: http://www.garath.net/Sullla/Civ5/civ5SP.html

Sulla said:
Overall, the release of Civ5 reminds me of the release of Civ3. It's a game with serious balance issues, and gameplay holes all over the place. Multiplayer is completely non-functional right now, unplayably full of bugs and crashes. I've been very harsh on Civ5 since it's come out, probably because I'm so disappointed that the game would be released in such a flawed state. Is this a good game right now? Sort of. It's not terrible, but it's very, VERY rough around the edges at present. Will it become a good game in time? Maybe. Hopefully. That depends on what Firaxis chooses to do. After the various fiascos associated with Civ3's release, I didn't think we'd have to go through this again. Apparently we will.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It has the same problems as the sims 3. The previous version has much more content, and is already bug free.

Basically it would need an expansion, or two. I decreased maintenance costs of units, thus AI can build some ships and keep army as well. It improved both sides a lot.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I got it and I'm not happy with it. Will try it next summer again or something to see if it's fun.

spectre

Arcane
Have it, managed to squeeze a week-worth of gameplay out of it. Desperately needs a major expansion.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Civ5 is shit - plain and simple. They basically took a random mediocre RTS, made it turn-based and slapped "Civilization V" label onto it. And then dumbed down everything to the max:

Economics doesn't need any player input. Leave your city be and it will prosper without you because there are always enough of resources. All policies are nothing but bonuses that you just unlock with your culture points. All support buildings are nothing but bonuses (like Granary - +2 to food production wtf). Basically every single skirmish is about getting as biggest bonus-to-everything numbers as possible, building as much units as possible and killing everyone. There is no unhappiness per city thus no rebellions, no need to keep people down with police no nothing - it's just a global unhappiness that slow downs city growth.
They even cut quite a number of techs from tech-tree and removed transports.

Simply put - it's Oblivion of 4X games

Download a demo and see for yourself.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Ehh no. Bethesda at least had to make a horse armour as a separate model. And that was 2 bucks. Not sell differently coloured reskins for $5 (or what was the price)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Elwro said:
Well, I think the leader animation and his voice are (supposedly) brand new! ;)

Well it was already included from day one in the 'Deluxe Edition' so what they basically did is take it out from the normal version only to sell it a couple of weeks later back to the plebs who think they are getting some "NEW" shit.

Yeesh

Magister
Metro said:
$5 for a new civilization? Sigh.
Who's paying for games anyway?

I played Civ 5 and it's fun enough. The combat, while geographically stupid (yay my archers are shooting from more than 100km away!), is a lot more fun than it used to be, and I like the new approach to cities. It could use some balance and expansions, but there's no doubt in anyone's mind that the game is a work in progress with plenty more ripoffs to buy in the future. But if you had some magical way to get all this for free, I can't imagine you'd have too much to rage about.

deshields538

Scholar
I'm waiting for it to go down in price right, a steam sale on it or a later release that includes all the DLC and shit.

For now I will just continue playing Fall From Heaven 2 on Civ 4.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
MetalCraze said:
Civ5 is shit - plain and simple. They basically took a random mediocre RTS, made it turn-based and slapped "Civilization V" label onto it. And then dumbed down everything to the max:

Economics doesn't need any player input. Leave your city be and it will prosper without you because there are always enough of resources. All policies are nothing but bonuses that you just unlock with your culture points. All support buildings are nothing but bonuses (like Granary - +2 to food production wtf). Basically every single skirmish is about getting as biggest bonus-to-everything numbers as possible, building as much units as possible and killing everyone. There is no unhappiness per city thus no rebellions, no need to keep people down with police no nothing - it's just a global unhappiness that slow downs city growth.
They even cut quite a number of techs from tech-tree and removed transports.

Simply put - it's Oblivion of 4X games

Download a demo and see for yourself.
Just to point out, all civics and most buildings were just bonuses in Civ IV too (only Production raising buildings had direct penalties in the form of Unhealthiness, though you could count Food buildings for the way population raised unhealthiness and unhappiness).

But still, Civ V is popamole garbage.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Just to point out, all civics and most buildings were just bonuses in Civ IV too (only Production raising buildings had direct penalties in the form of Unhealthiness, though you could count Food buildings for the way population raised unhealthiness and unhappiness).
What Elwro said. Plus that's one of the reasons I dislike Civ4 too.

I think SMAC and Civ2/3 did this stuff the best. A pity though one had what other didn't.

What i particularly dislike in Civ V is how the happiness mechanic works. These
ungrateful motherfuckers hate me even though i give them endless supplies of food, prosperity and security just because i can't get them some spice and incense? They sometimes demand luxuries even if my civilization has never even discovered it.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Furious Flaming Faggot said:
What i particularly dislike in Civ V is how the happiness mechanic works. These
ungrateful motherfuckers hate me even though i give them endless supplies of food, prosperity and security just because i can't get them some spice and incense? They sometimes demand luxuries even if my civilization has never even discovered it.

You don't understand how happiness works.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom