Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization VI - Now available, so you can sink all your free time into it

Yeah, that happened too: A civ has a continent with space to expand on to the north and south, but will settle on a two hex island far away.

In Civ 4 that's practically an exploit. Counts as a city on a different continent, which gives a 2x modifier to all trade routes. Since all cities trade with the highest value available (cities don't need a trade route back) you're essentially getting +1 base gold for every coastal city. Combine with Great Lighthouse to basically break the game, eliminating and reversing the intended ICS penalties as long as you hug shoreline.

Maybe Firaxis still hasn't gotten around to updating the Civ 6 AI? :lol:

kris

Arcane
i tried this on a bit yesterday. If anything the old tactic (build archers = win) worked even better as you got golden ages more easily with force projection.

- A problem with getting era points is that you can only get positive points, losing a city and taking it back might earn you a bunch. Overall being agressive/expansive/explore all is what gain you the most and with no drawback. Meaning, it was to easy and I only got golden ages the three times I tried (on diety difficult)
- Loyality was in the little a played just an annoyance. sure it hold you back (conquered cities revolt quickly), but it never posed a problem to me. this thing kind of also forced you to cluster your cities. My tactic of stealing settlers from AI and building a city close to them dont work, I need to trek back.

as i guessed on a glance on the new civs it was just as expected. the Nubian rotund lady is probably the most powerful choice you can get. the cheaper districts is real nice, but the improved, extra cheap, faster exp archers is just silly. You can conquer anything with them. 3 in movement and I got three of them to double-shot experience in already the first war.

Its not that I demand balance, but maybe they could think a little bit at least?

flyingjohn

Arcane
a6ima26h7ql01.png

AAA budget and can't even check for spelling errors in code.
:lol:

Basically, where the AI should weigh Production, then Gold, then Science/Culture with Faith dead last... none of that may be in effect, causing the AI to weigh everything equally leading to suboptimal play.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
worst civ ever. no contest.

Agreed. This game really is an absolute piece of shit and a waste of time and hard drive space. There is no challenge, highest difficulties are laughably easy.

I just fired up an Immortal game with the new expansion after not playing it since it released, without knowing anything about the new mechanics, by mid game after conquering just a few cities from neighboring civs I was so far ahead in score I gave up trying and just starting whacking end turn and building/researching whatever the advisor said. No decisions mattered at that point, you can just go on autopilot, the game plays itself.

Civ 6 is not a strategy game, its fully transitioned into babys first sim city, the AI civs just give the illusion of a challenge so you can tell mommy "your a big boy now" when you win. And it looks pretty (If you like the cartoony Facebook game style? Which I guess explains the lack of difficulty as this is the intellectual audience level they are aiming at?)

flyingjohn

Arcane
I actually think civ v is worse thanks to global happiness and major penalties to new cities.At least here you can make more then 4 cities.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'd direct the attention of the resident strategy lovers to the new release of the digital version of the Through the Ages board game.

It's basically a boardgame/card game version of Civilization but much smarter and more engaging than the official boardgame port of Sid Meier's Civilization. It's the 3rd best rated board game on Boardgamegeek.com which is almost as prestigious as winning the Codex GOTY coveted prize. And I would not sperg about it here and everywhere if I wasn't a complete fanboy of the original board game. It's a legend in the board game world and deservedly so.

The Steam version is cheap and simple obviously, it's a small project, but it's adequate. The underlying mechanics is what matters here. I just bought it and tested it for 30 minutes and I can't see any issues.

It'd be great if we could put together a Codex group to play this diamond.

Plus there's a 38% deal off on Steam right now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/758370/Through_the_Ages/

ss_b4ad85228b8bad1445909da9081aafb32d62766a.1920x1080.jpg

ss_4f743dd310eba840cdae28fe24f7c8788ebedb36.1920x1080.jpg

Got bored and left

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Beyond Earth boomed, AC franchize is untouched yet. It seemes that they released BE as an experiment to see it lending Civ engine and reskins could work. Warlock and Beyond Earth showed that no. CivVI is a horrible game in every way and inferior even to garbage that is CivV.
So maybe they would release AC as a fully fledged sequel. But there won't be a space for experiments. If they will flop they will flop hard.
I am pessimistic about it as both CivV and of course CivVI could not reach levels of UI handiness of AC.

they can't. beyond earth was alone and sucked so hard it put black holes to shame. now it should fight against galciv3, endless space 2 and many other minors.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Beyond Earth was a shitty Civ 5 mod at best and has very little if anything in common with Brian Reynolds Alpha Centauri

Cael

Arcane
Beyond Earth was a shitty Civ 5 mod at best and has very little if anything in common with Brian Reynolds Alpha Centauri
AC had maps where elevation automatically affected other squares. It was wired into the game and cannot be changed without significant work.

Beyond Earth had hexes and 1 unit per square.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Hexes are ok but the fucking single unit x title is pure cancer and will never, ever work.

No AAA or even AA developer will ever be able to make a decent ai around it, you need some indie super giganerd balancing it for years.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Hexes are ok but the fucking single unit x title is pure cancer and will never, ever work.

No AAA or even AA developer will ever be able to make a decent ai around it, you need some indie super giganerd balancing it for years.

Unit stacking AI is equally bad. I can never understand people who dismiss 1UPT based on AI, as if the AI in every past Civilization game wasn't equally stupid, and didn't equally count on "cheating" to pose somewhat of a challenge. I can only assume most of the people criticizing Civilization V and VI based on their AI haven't played much of the previous games.
And yes, it is true that there are more variables in 1UPT maps, and there is more that the AI can cock up, but they also put more work into it, so it ended up being similar in practice. I hope it will get better now that self learning AI is becoming easy to implement and popular, and perhaps the next big strategy game will just have its AI simulate 50000 games with itself and discover what the best strategies are, or watch replays of online games, etc. It has to be considered while making the engine of course, but its where strategy games should be headed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom