Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization VI - Now available, so you can sink all your free time into it

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
A white Swedish leader? How insensitive of them.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
After a huge letdown that was Rise and Fall, this actually gives me some good vibes. I especially like the warmonger penalty system overhaul - should've been like that from the beginning.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Hellraiser

Arcane
Firaxis is really trying hard to run the franchise to the ground with virtue signalling instead of improving the gameplay it seems. Also it appears they are still not done scraping the bottom of the barrel for female leaders. A pity they did not add Myanmar with Aung San Suu Kyi before she stopped being the poster child fighting for freedom. Imagine the shitstorm that would have happened.

:troll:

The future era with new governments and the canals/tunnels are the only additions that are actual improvements to the series it seems.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Wasn't that an expansion or something similar? A civ 5 with a new paint?

If only it was Civ V with a new paint job, the game was worse than Civ V in part because they gutted/dumbed down the Civ V mechanics that were good (city states, ideologies/culture tree, religion). The factions/sponsor were extremely bland and seemed to have been designed with diversity in mind first and gameplay mechanics+storytelling later. Unit variety sucked (1 air unit, no submarines in vanilla), unit customization was too basic and forced you to pick permanent perks (no unit designer), no unit promotions available other than +strength. The wonders which were already bland and unimpressive in vanilla got nerfed in the expansion or some later patch into near uselessness in most cases, mediocre attempts at humour in tech/affinity quotes in addition to poor writing. The affinity system wasn't that much of a bad concept but it could have used some serious reworking and it reeked of cliched soft science fiction, especially considering some of the unit design.

In any case that was standalone and it seems that it was either practically an official TC mod made by a B team to have them do something before Civ VI/XCOM 2 production ramped up or Firaxis declined that much.

The expansion improved it somewhat but even with it it is still inferior to Civ V and it did manage to make some things worse (wonders).

this series is dead until they get rid of 1upt.
i'm fine with the concept of 1upt and hp system, it feels nice to move forward a tank followed by shooters and stuff like this. the only real problem is that the computer can't even. it just can't even. it either stares at you while you crush it effortlessly or goes on the offence spearheading with a fragile shooter followed by another shooter and then by a tank.
but most of the times it declares war for no reason, sits on its thumb for as long as it can and then asks for forgiveness.
the issue is not the system, it is the programmers behind it.

flyingjohn

Arcane
i'm fine with the concept of 1upt and hp system, it feels nice to move forward a tank followed by shooters and stuff like this. the only real problem is that the computer can't even. it just can't even. it either stares at you while you crush it effortlessly or goes on the offence spearheading with a fragile shooter followed by another shooter and then by a tank.
but most of the times it declares war for no reason, sits on its thumb for as long as it can and then asks for forgiveness.

Technically it is only one guy and this guy is a semi decent star craft player according to rumors.
How does that work with 4x games? Well you can see the results yourself.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All good and dandy but if they don't fucking dedicate a serious amount of time and effort into the AI there is simply no point. 4353245345 things to do that the AI barely follows

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
No, the issue is that 1upt requires better AI that can be reasonably expected from a game where combat is only small part of gameplay. If a fight involves a lot of units it can have more variables than chess.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

I agree, its a decent system, possibly a lot of fun in multiplayer, but the only thing I care about in a Civ game is a challenging AI. And with 1upt the AI is utterly useless. Playing on highest difficulties is just a farce with how easy it is to abuse. And it will never be fixed as they will never assign enough recources and manpower to make a competent AI that can deal with all the parameters of 1upt.

*Seems I got ninja'ed, so what those guys above me said.

Hellraiser

Arcane
They should just cap stack size by tech, unit experience and terrain, either with a hard cap or a soft cap paradox style via attrition with diminishing returns. That would solve the doom stack idiocy that plagued Civ IV.

Also all siege units should deal collateral damage to stacks and just like in SMAC winning a melee fight against a unit in a stack should cause some collateral damage. Smaller since unlike SMAC battles are not to the death.

Civ V AI is ridiculously easy to outplay with chokepoints, especially ones near the coast.

GrainWetski

Arcane
It was much funnier when they took a dump on others with their retarded female leaders :negative:

Modern Firaxis is a fucking plague.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Wasn't that an expansion or something similar? A civ 5 with a new paint?

If only it was Civ V with a new paint job, the game was worse than Civ V in part because they gutted/dumbed down the Civ V mechanics that were good (city states, ideologies/culture tree, religion). The factions/sponsor were extremely bland and seemed to have been designed with diversity in mind first and gameplay mechanics+storytelling later. Unit variety sucked (1 air unit, no submarines in vanilla), unit customization was too basic and forced you to pick permanent perks (no unit designer), no unit promotions available other than +strength. The wonders which were already bland and unimpressive in vanilla got nerfed in the expansion or some later patch into near uselessness in most cases, mediocre attempts at humour in tech/affinity quotes in addition to poor writing. The affinity system wasn't that much of a bad concept but it could have used some serious reworking and it reeked of cliched soft science fiction, especially considering some of the unit design.

In any case that was standalone and it seems that it was either practically an official TC mod made by a B team to have them do something before Civ VI/XCOM 2 production ramped up or Firaxis declined that much.

The expansion improved it somewhat but even with it it is still inferior to Civ V and it did manage to make some things worse (wonders).

The best thing to come out of Beyond Earf was the Space Pope mod:
EC821A9B5C55EAF8F116CBA5E0733E5C1B3F3E63

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The leader is two weeks shaving away from looking like Conchita Wurst, people!
How LGBT-friendly does a game have to get to please the 'dex?!
I don't think it is about being pleasing.
More about the juicy, sweet butthurt it generates in homophobes and other retards. That alone is almost worth all the nonsense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom