Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CKII is released.

For the base vanilla game alone I'd say EU4 has slightly more content/replayability, but considering mods/DLC it's way in CK2's favor.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
opinions on CkII vs. Europa Universallis, which is more fun? If you had to only own and play one of them?
They are different kind of fun. EU4 is more a pure country conquest while CK is a family conquest. The biggest problem for me in CK is the events,they are endless and many of them pointless. Mid-late game could become a slug thanks to the even swarm. Some times you can't even pass more than a few days before some idiotic pointless event pops up. EU4 is more fast pasted. Also in CK2 many features are badly implemented and could mess up your game and annoy you. Same could be said about EU4 too but they are less annoying. If you are new to the genre i would recommend beginning with eu4. Also beware,Paradox have really scummy dlc practices. If i were you,i would have acquire the game with my internet wiz skills ;) . Still your money,your choice.

opinions on CkII vs. Europa Universallis, which is more fun? If you had to only own and play one of them?
They are different kind of fun. EU4 is more a pure country conquest while CK is a family conquest. The biggest problem for me in CK is the events,they are endless and many of them pointless. Mid-late game could become a slug thanks to the even swarm. Some times you can't even pass more than a few days before some idiotic pointless event pops up. EU4 is more fast pasted. Also in CK2 many features are badly implemented and could mess up your game and annoy you. Same could be said about EU4 too but they are less annoying. If you are new to the genre i would recommend beginning with eu4. Also beware,Paradox have really scummy dlc practices. If i were you,i would have acquire the game with my internet wiz skills ;) . Still your money,your choice.

yeah, I could use my 'ahoy matey!' skills, but honestly steam is so cheap and I have money I get from gift cards and I like to support people and companies who make games I enjoy playing. I ask the questions about which to get not so much because I am trying to negotiate how to spend my money, but its more an issue of time. I have a certain amount of time to play games and that is the limiting factor for me most of the time, so I try to focus it as much as possible. There are so many games nowadays that this time issue has become my main concern. Thanks for the response.

Honestly after looking at both games it actually seems like maybe Eu4 is a little more my style, although both look good. I am a little tempted to try something different than I usually play and Ck II seems a bit different because it is more concentrated on family intrigue and single people, where as EU4 seems more along the lines of Hearts of Iron, which I have played extensively.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

yeah, I could use my 'ahoy matey!' skills, but honestly steam is so cheap and I have money I get from gift cards and I like to support people and companies who make games I enjoy playing. I ask the questions about which to get not so much because I am trying to negotiate how to spend my money, but its more an issue of time. I have a certain amount of time to play games and that is the limiting factor for me most of the time, so I try to focus it as much as possible. There are so many games nowadays that this time issue has become my main concern. Thanks for the response.

Honestly after looking at both games it actually seems like maybe Eu4 is a little more my style, although both look good. I am a little tempted to try something different than I usually play and Ck II seems a bit different because it is more concentrated on family intrigue and single people, where as EU4 seems more along the lines of Hearts of Iron, which I have played extensively.
Yeah i get you mate,you are like me. I would recommend to do it like me,buy the game ahoy the dlc. If you don't have much time....well paradox games are very time consuming. Go for EU4,it is more respectful of your time,you wast a lot time clicking events in CK2 and other manual labour.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
qfns9g9bz82z.png

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Apparantly they finally upgraded the HIP to work with latest patch and Jade Dragon. Question is, is it worth it? I got burned out with CK2 after they kept adding pointless expansion dlc and never got back to making the whole feudal knights and kings part work right. There were a few great mods that really worked hard to improve those parts but they went the way of the dodo. RIP The Prince and the Thane. Most of the other mods seemed to be all about 'balancing' and not about making the whole 'take a dynasty through the ages with all the ups and downs that entails' a fun endeavour. So, is CK2 with the latest patch, expansion and HIP mod now more than just another lame Pdox map painter?

Mortmal

Arcane
Apparantly they finally upgraded the HIP to work with latest patch and Jade Dragon. Question is, is it worth it? I got burned out with CK2 after they kept adding pointless expansion dlc and never got back to making the whole feudal knights and kings part work right. There were a few great mods that really worked hard to improve those parts but they went the way of the dodo. RIP The Prince and the Thane. Most of the other mods seemed to be all about 'balancing' and not about making the whole 'take a dynasty through the ages with all the ups and downs that entails' a fun endeavour. So, is CK2 with the latest patch, expansion and HIP mod now more than just another lame Pdox map painter?
Of course not, it adds more events, IA seems a little better , but it ends up into map painting too.Jade dragon wont change your mind, you have an external power you can interact with to get artefacts and brides or if you piss them off a massive invasion, that and many little things they added.All those dlc are only for people who like the base game.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Any recommended mods? Are HIP and CKPlus bloated hellholes like big mods are usually?

Vanilla CK2 is already a bloated hellhole thanks to years of DLC milking. You might as well go all in and grab a mod that tries to make that bloated hellhole make at least a little more sense.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Any recommended mods? Are HIP and CKPlus bloated hellholes like big mods are usually?

I'd say yes but you'll find plenty of history autists who'd disagree. India is entirely pointless although with the Jade Dragon DLC it's kinda-sorta-maybe alright to play there.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Also if I start in the earliest start-date, does the pagan cultures start to covert to christianity or do they stay pagan?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In my experience they generally will convert unless they are lucky enough to reform.
And even then, odds are most of them just get crusaded or jihaded because the AI cannot abuse Tribal or get out of it. Only Tengriist AI will survive on its own or even reform on its own because nomads are actually viable without making extensive use of loopholes like tribal.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Is it normal in the base game for other kingdoms to succumb to numerous rebellions? In my current game, Lombardy have been shattered by three rebellions so far.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Yes but that's because the rebellion mechanic is shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom