Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware CLANG - Realistic fencing kickstarter game is dead

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I hope you didn't spend too much time coming up with that.

...no wait, seeing that your post did come after me... Oh god, what have I become?

Overboard

Arcane
Hey guys look, the alpha version of the demo of a game that was supposed to have been completed two months ago has just been released, I TOLD YOU SO NER NER NER!!!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Clang is fucked: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200644/Another_highprofile_Kickstarter_runs_out_of_gas.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed: GamasutraNews (Gamasutra News)

Another high-profile Kickstarter runs out of gas
September 19, 2013 | By Kris Ligman

Subutai Corporation has announced via a public update that its Kickstarted title Clang has run out of funding and has reverted to an "evenings and weekends" project until new investors can be found.

In mid-2012, Subutai Corporation and its chairman, novelist Neal Stephenson, launched a successful Kickstarter to fund Clang, a new type of swordfighting game with custom peripherals. The Kickstarter raised $526,000, narrowly exceeding its pledge target, and the developers went to work. Then, in April of this year, the frequency of status updates on the game's development fizzled to nothing.

"Sending out a vague update about inconclusive, ongoing conversations with potential investors doesn't seem nearly as attractive as waiting a couple more weeks for a deal to actually come through," the team says in the new post. However, it says run into trouble closing any such deal with anyone. "We don't match the profile, or the timing, of [venture capitalists'] fund/investment strategy... Potential investors/publishers are worried about our team."

In short, rather than set the game's Kickstarter goal to fund the entirety of the project, Subutai used the $500,000 funding target to drive the first lap of development, with the optimism it could find conventional funding to complete development down the road. Unfortunately, that funding hasn't materialized.

"The overall climate in the industry has become risk-averse to a degree that is difficult to appreciate until you've seen it," Subutai explains. "While we have been working on Clang, two major video game publishers, THQ and LucasArts, have gone out of business. Others have fallen on hard times. The current generation of consoles is coming to the end of its life cycle. Rather than invest in innovative new titles, the still-surviving publishers tend to keep their heads down, grinding out sequels and extensions to well-worn triple-A franchises."

Combine this risk-aversion with Subutai's own admission that it "punches above its weight," and development has reached deadlock.

Subutai says Clang is to continue on a volunteer basis until further funding can be obtained. In the mean time, it appeals to backers to fund a similarly-minded project, STEM.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Herp-a-derp.

We'll have an update later this week about CLANG. I realize the end of February is coming up quick.
Thanks,
-mark

Among other things, I've seen live gameplay from CLANG. Which is already more than 99% of the game KS have been able to produce so far...

But dumbfucks gonna dumbfuck, eh?

Haba +M

Totally didn't see this coming.

No, really I didn't.

Guys, I'm not being sarcastic here this is quite perplexing.

:troll:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Also, lol @ the comment on the Gamasutra article:

There needs to be better accountability mechanisms with KickStarter... plain and simple. Free capital should not come with no strings attached. Especially when we start looking at figures of a half million bucks.

Or people can not throw their money down obvious money pits.

Gord

Arcane
Also, lol @ the comment on the Gamasutra article:

There needs to be better accountability mechanisms with KickStarter... plain and simple. Free capital should not come with no strings attached. Especially when we start looking at figures of a half million bucks.

Or people can not throw their money down obvious money pits.

But there are strings attached, right into the backers pockets...

Sucks about Clang, the project seemed interesting at least, if somewhat overly ambitious.
I do wonder what project will be the first big real failure to come out of Kickstarter.
Surely there's an english betting office somewhere accepting bets on this already?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
First real big failure will be the first real big KS project: Broken Age.

Azazel

Arbiter
Seems to be the month of Kickstarters dying off right now, first CULT and now this.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
James DeRagon about 2 hours ago

I really appreciated the goal you were going for in this, I do still dream of the vision you presented to us in that first video, unfortunatly this turned out to be a horribly run project. There are a lot more lessons to be learned from what that last 'well, we give up' update we got.

Quite frankly it was pretty bullshit when the demo was released and you guys suddenly changed your story to "oh yeah yeah this whole thing was for a demo for more cash, not a product". While I come from a camp of people that just enjoys melee mechanics online, and I knew I was gambling here, I really would not have backed this project if you had been honest about kickstarting a demo, so i guess being deceptive was a good move on your part then.

Communication throughout the project was horrible, at no point was there a place for discussion about the project or even small updates with what was being tried. I would have at least felt I had obtained some value to have had the opportunity to communicate with the dev team and other vested users on thoughts for various control schemes as well as the idea of how to map the sword to a computer game.

Honestly I had a feeling that you guys thought you knew everything, and didn't feel like any of your invested backers would have anything to add towards the project.

The only thing you can do now to save yourself is to open source everything you have, if it is even worth it at all.

ColCol

Arcane
Neal Stephenson probably has a shit load of money, he should refund everybody.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Lololololololololololololol.

Still wondering how much Haba sank into this -- next time you want to throwaway cash I suggest hookers and blow, instead.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Not awfully surprised, seeing how little they managed to produce after the demo. Hopefully something will come out of this in the end, but that'll probably be years in the future. And quite possibly not by the CLANG guys themselves.

Still wondering how much Haba sank into this -- next time you want to throwaway cash I suggest hookers and blow, instead.

Less than the price of two beers, so no big loss.

Two delicious beers...

:cry:

Gregz

Arcane
Doomed to fail.

They don't understand that shooters are popular because they so naturally work with the KB+mouse interface.

Noone is going to go out and buy a 'wii-wand' just to play their game.

You have to make a game that conforms the the interface the average user has access to. It's clear these guys have no experience with game/UI design, and just LARP with foam swords all day.

They should be realistic and kickstart this to the wii community. Of course 5 year-old girls and their suburban moms could care less about historically accurate sword fighting sims.

DOOOOOMED TO FAIL.

*goes back to playing M&B:WB and having lots of fun*

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Hardware is tricky business. Even Oculus Rift is balancing on a tightrope, with Sony pushing out their own VR by 2014.

Fucking decline. Where did force feedback go?

senjo-no-kizuna_48.jpg

gundam.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Fuck you consoles, fuck you! I don't want to play "safely from my home sofa", I want to feel the pain of impact, I want broken ribs when I crash my car while racing, I want to be disgusted when I experience brutal violence in a VR environment...

*sigh*

The only hope seems to be in some billionaire oil prince catching the mech fever and investing a few hundred million into having something new developed...

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'd seriously consider investing in a force-feedback chair like that if I knew I could use it for many many years, with upgraded game hardware and frequent games released that support it.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
I'd seriously consider investing in a force-feedback chair like that if I knew I could use it for many many years, with upgraded game hardware and frequent games released that support it.

Just have a MechWarr game with it and procedurally generated missions, random mechs and loadouts and an air duct system to blast the cabin full of hot air when you overheat.

Keshik

Arcane
Neal Stephenson probably has a shit load of money, he should refund everybody.

Weird that they can run out of money though, Stephenson should be pretty well off enough to put some in, no ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom