Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Classic Warhammer/Warhammer 40K games released on GOG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
With GOG themselves as publishers.

Shadow of the Horned Rat: http://af.gog.com/game/warhammerr_shadow_of_the_horned_rat?as=1649904300

Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat follows the adventures of Morgan Bernhardt, the commander of the Grudgebringer mercenaries and leader of the Grudgebringer Cavalry regiment. Once a star student of the great Gunnery School Officer Academy, Bernhardt’s love for gold and glory had him cast out of the school and into the welcoming arms of the mercenary life. With a fine steed to carry him to battle, his dwarven-forged, magical sword Grudgebringer in his hand and an army at his helm, he and the Grudgebringers have travelled the length and breadth of the Old World, bringing honour and fame to his house. However, an insidious plot by the Skaven Grey Seer, Thanquol and his accomplice, Orc Warboss Urgat Rip-Eye, is uncovered by Bernhardt, forcing him and his troops to defend the Empire. With Paymaster Dietrich ensuring that your efforts are justly rewarded, join Bernhardt and the Grudgebringers as they enter the maelstrom of war and fight for glory, the Empire and, most importantly, gold!

As the first ever video-game adaption of the Warhammer world, Shadow of the Horned Rat not only brings the table-top adventure to life in this real-time strategy, but adds its own story to the wondrous mythos. With over 25 individual troops to choose from, you can create and lead your own army to battle across the many fields of the Old World. You can also forge your own story in this adventure, choosing to follow the main story and defeat the Skaven and Orc forces, or accept the work of the many patrons Paymaster Dietrich can procure. With increasing difficulty and expansive lore, this adaptation is a fine first-step for the franchise and a must-play for both RTS and Warhammer fans alike.
  • Lead Imperial forces against the Skaven and Greenskin Forces and defend the Empire from their nefarious plot
  • Co-ordinate your army and strategise victory in real-time
  • Create your own legacy - Follow the campaign and uncover the Skaven plot, or complete your patrons’ missions and earn fame, glory and gold
  • Fully customise and augment your army, with over 25 troops to choose from

Final Liberation: http://af.gog.com/game/final_liberation_warhammer_epic_40000?as=1649904300

Set in the turbulent universe of Game Workshop’s Warhammer 40,000 EPIC, Final Liberation allows you to lead the Imperial campaign in Volistad as Lord Commander Militant. Having eaten five Astropaths en-route to their new stations, Ork Warboss Skroll of the Evil Sunz clan is visited with (demented?) dreams of grandeur and conquest and launches a full-scale WAAAGH! on the Imperial colony of Volistad. With the might of the Bad Moons, the rapacious Evil Sunz and the Orkiest of all clans, the Goffs, at his disposal, Skroll quickly swept aside the defences of Volistad and took control of the planet. Leading an army of Ultramarines and Imperial guard, you must retake the system and cleanse it of the foul alien by completing missions and annihilating the Ork forces. Though the Emperor protects you, you must remain vigilant, for like all Orks, Skroll loves fitin’, so he and his forces will take you to the last man and space marine. Only supreme tactics and precise execution will allow you to reclaim Volistad in the name of the Emperor.

SSI, the masterminds behind the Five Star General Series’, bring their Midas touch to the Warhammer 40,000 world in the first ever video-game adaption of the EPIC table-top game. With over 85 unit types, this addition to the 40k franchise brings the vastness and depth of an EPIC-style battle to your PC, allowing you greater selection and customisation over your army. This, along with the multiple scenarios and battlefronts to fight from, will keep your strategic mind on edge for hours on end.
  • Turn-based strategy with full army customisation and mission deployment
  • Lead your army into battle and co-ordinate attacks and stratagem against the Skroll and his forces
  • Comprehensive encyclopedia covers the forces of the Warhammer Epic 40,000 universe -- which includes over 85 unit types to select and control!
  • Campaign play featuring over 30 scenarios

Chaos Gate: http://af.gog.com/game/warhammer_40000_chaos_gate?as=1649904300

Set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, Chaos Gate tells the story of an Ultramarines army led by Captain Kruger, as he attempts to recover the Concordat Chaosium, a pre-Horus heresy artefact, from the hands of Chaos Lord Zymran’s forces. With a mighty company under your command, you must engage in campaign scenarios and skirmishes, defeating the forces of Chaos and completing objectives to bring you closer to acquiring the artefact and defeating the heretics.

As a turn-based strategy with RPG elements, the game offers you the ability to fully customise your army between missions and augment your forces to ensure strategic superiority. With the might of a Space Marine company at your disposal, you can fully customise your squads down to the last marine, ensuring that only the Emperor’s finest are entering the fray. But be warned, for any suffered losses are not recovered between missions, so you must carefully decide which missions are worthy of your efforts.

As SSI’s second entry in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, Chaos Gate marries the lore of the 40,000 universe with the strategic depth of an SSI game and creates an engaging experience that further glorifies the Emperor and the Adeptus Astartes’ Legacy.
  • Battle Chaos Space Marine forces and their daemonic allies across the galaxy in a Campaign of 15+ linked scenarios or explore randomly generated missions to gain power for your Ultramarine troops.
  • Create and customize a squad from a Space Marine contingent of 50 different soldiers, each with unique characteristics and capabilities - including Terminators, Assault Marines and Devastator Squads.
  • Build custom missions with the extremely flexible Mission Editor.
  • Command the vehicles of the Warhammer 40,000 universe: Predator tanks, Rhino APCs, Land Speeders and Dreadnoughts.
:incline:

Last edited by a moderator:
Came here to post this. I know absolutely nothing about Warhammer, but I know these games are loved. Where do I start? Is it basically XCOM without geoscape?

Well holy shit. Still have my physical copy of Chaos Gate, but will probably buy the other two when I have the money.
I honestly can't believe the bastards in Games Workshop actually let this happen. :happytrollboy:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
wow, someone got some sense into GW. That is awesome.

Came here to post this. I know absolutely nothing about Warhammer, but I know these games are loved. Where do I start? Is it basically XCOM without geoscape?
It is a set of scripted missions with some squad management between them, so it would be closer to Silent Storm actually.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
If they managed to release these thing, that can run only on Win98 virtual PCs, then only few steps from W&W...
Ok, before I go into full fapfap mode: does this version of Choas Gate work under windows 7?
Yes, and Win8 too.

kain611

Augur
Anyone of these better than the other ones? I loved the Dawn of War series as well as X-Com/ Jagged Alliance style games so I'm assuming Chaos Gate and Liberation are for me??

34scell

Augur
Chaos Gate always worked with a little tinkering. Could never get the other two working on win7, however.

EDIT
Anyone of these better than the other ones? I loved the Dawn of War series as well as X-Com/ Jagged Alliance style games so I'm assuming Chaos Gate and Liberation are for me??

Liberation has points scaling (the more units you deploy the more the enemy deploys), which ruins it in my opinion. Chaos Gate is basically X-Com combat in a purely scenario based game.

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Where's Dark Omen

Where

"Commissar Holt!"

They are all worth it, in my opinion. Chaos Gate is the best WH40k game, despite Ultramarines and no geoscape, and limited foes on the campaign. As said, Final Liberation is a bit damaged by the auto scaling and by the lack of the planned expansion (on the internal Codex there are entries for 'nids and Chaosies, and we never got them).

Shadow of the Horned Rat is hard. Yet, Morgan Bernhardt is the kind of bastard contemporay GW can't write anymore.

Obligatory

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Pure speculation, but maybe they are doing releases in waves.
So next wave could be Dark Omen, Rites of War and Fire Warrior.

Dark Omen used those Voodoo 3d-cards from 3dfx. I don't think there's working emulation for them yet. Of course you could play with software rendered grapchis, even if it looks quite a bit worse compared.

I was always interested in the Horned Rat, but that thumbnail-sized battleground view looks really weird.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I was always interested in the Horned Rat, but that thumbnail-sized battleground view looks really weird.

Yeah had a bit of a grope around on it today, it's the sub par more 2d PC version, where almost all of the playing area is taken up by crap. For a better more 3d experience it's best to use an emulator and play the Playstation version, which has a UI much more like Dark Omen. The GOG version is still playable and the game is still at base a damn good one, with hard battles, different routes through the game and some real good and refreshing scenarios to play in. It's just that the UI is really working against you rather than getting out of the fucking way. The lore you unlock as you proceed and noted down in the bestiary is really fucking good, it's a shame Dark Omen didn't do this.

Still don't regret buying it because it's definite incline, and lets face it inspired Total War.

Snufkin

Augur
I remember digging Chaos gate until i realized that AI is really dumb and rage quited. All enemies do is go after you without taking cover or using any tactics. Truly retarded.

DramaticPopcorn

Funny, I was just getting inclination to replay Chaos Gate and finally finish the campaing. Never managed to get running without virutal machine though.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Dark Omen used those Voodoo 3d-cards from 3dfx. I don't think there's working emulation for them yet. Of course you could play with software rendered grapchis, even if it looks quite a bit worse compared.

They have had glide wrappers for ages.

I still replay Carmageddon 1 and get get the very satisfying 3DFX splash screen at the start.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pure speculation, but maybe they are doing releases in waves.
So next wave could be Dark Omen, Rites of War and Fire Warrior.

Rites of War it is: http://af.gog.com/game/warhammer_40000_rites_of_war?as=1649904300

Inspired by the board and figurine games made popular by Games Workshop, the universe of Warhammer 40,000 is a vast and violent one, rife with strange, alien races, including the Eldar®. The mysterious Eldar are all that remains of a once great and powerful civilization that ruled the galaxy. They travel the stars in enormous spacecraft called Craftworlds, seeking the Maiden Worlds their ancestors created in ancient times.

One such world is now inhabited by humans and possesses historical records and artifacts of great power far too valuable to leave in their hands. This once proud race now fights for its very survival, and must protect the secrets and power of their ancestors from both the Imperium of Man and the evil, bio-engineered Tyranids, bent on the destruction of this fertile paradise.

Rites of War features a tightly crafted storyline composed of 24 missions and varied victory conditions as you lead the Eldar in their fight for survival. Additional scenarios allow for control of Tyrannid and Imperial armies and a glory point system lets you build and customize your own army, with 8 distinct troop classes ranging from War Machines to Assault Troops to Devastator Squads. A level-based experience system enhances the game's RPG (Role-Playing Game) element, allowing you to upgrade and customize units, enhance warrior skills and employ "psyker" (psychic) abilities.
  • 24 mission campaign features a tightly crafted storyline, detailed atmosphere and varied victory conditions.
  • Additional scenarios let you command Tyrannid and Imperial armies
  • Glory point system lets you build and customise armies, with your choice of unit types, wargear and warrior skills

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom