Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Clerical artefacts in (A)D&D

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
This question popped into my mind while reading a Ravenloft novel (Shadowborn). Clerical magic needs to be granted by a deity, so what about clerical spells bound to items? Do they always work (under normal conditions)?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I thought 3.5's Magic Item Compendium handled it neatly with the 'Relic' concept:

9ea66617a3.jpg

f1122f5c65.jpg

d2823348ff.jpg

Crichton

Prophet
I`m not much of an expert on D&D lore but as I understand it, the general answer is yes, or at least that they are no more likely to fail than other magical items. There are specific exceptions (like the relics mentioned above) but unless otherwise specified, clerical magical items don`t require the specific approval of a god to use (ex. a good cleric might craft a wand of cure light wounds, but an evil cleric could take it off his body and use it). Similarly, while only the Gods typically grant clerical spells, once granted, their use is unrestricted; ex. a cleric of a good deity could cast flame strike on a group of non-combatants in a fit of anger, his god needn`t approve for the spell to be cast (though he might have a little difficulty getting his spells topped off the next time he rests...).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom