Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Close combat series

mr.doo

Educated
Any fans of this magnificent series here ?
rockpapershotgun recently wrote an interesting article on the second one, if you havent read it yet here it is:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05 ... more-58313

I'd love to see a close combat game remade in 3D with physics and destructible scenarios while keeping the gameplay intact.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
You mean keeping the faulty AI, faulty pathfinding and poor spotting mechanics that allow metagaming like searching for muzzle flashes on screen and ability to search map with indirect fire because bodies are always visible, shitty instant mortars and shitty command & conquer-super-weapon-style fire support?

Topher

Cipher
I like the series but the remakes from Matrix Games, while fantastic, are way overpriced.

Quilty

Magister
I used to have a boner for those games, but after playing Men of War I just can't go back to them. MoW has everything I need.

:love:

zool

Arcane
mr.doo said:
I'd love to see a close combat game remade in 3D with physics and destructible scenarios while keeping the gameplay intact.

Funny, because I'll love this series as long as they keep those old-school hand-drawn 2D maps, even if it sometimes makes it difficult to spot different height levels. But when the maps are well-drawn - and elevations coded correctly - this usually isn't a problem. To me, those 2D maps are the hallmark of the CC series.

And as Topher said, the remakes are cool but really overpriced.

Gondolin

Arcane
z o o l said:
Funny, because I'll love this series as long as they keep those old-school hand-drawn 2D maps, even if it sometimes makes it difficult to spot different height levels. But when the maps are well-drawn - and elevations coded correctly - this usually isn't a problem.

Same here. No 3D, please.

mr.doo

Educated
I used to think like that but after playing each sequel to death I felt like I wanted something radically different and I think today's technology could add something to this series. Not saying the game would be immensely better than the older ones, but at least it would be different. Other than the grand campaign mode nothing really major was added between CC1 and CC5, the only thing that changed between each was the locations of the operations and little less.

Also the reason why matrix games have their games way overpriced is because their games appeal to a niche public mostly, which is good for them but sucks to us because it means outrageous prices.

Secretninja

Cipher
I loved this game as a kid. To think, I was 8 when I played it... What the fuck is wrong with kids these days?

DakaSha

Arcane
i was also a huge CC fan as a kid. When cc1 came out i got the demo and loved watching the first battle. Bought the game and played it to death

Then i got CC2 and fucking loved it. But as somebody said: getting older now i see its flaws. They are great games but its to bad they aren't any more polished.

zeitgeist

Magister
z o o l said:
Funny, because I'll love this series as long as they keep those old-school hand-drawn 2D maps, even if it sometimes makes it difficult to spot different height levels. But when the maps are well-drawn - and elevations coded correctly - this usually isn't a problem. To me, those 2D maps are the hallmark of the CC series.
Speaking of 2D top-down maps, would anyone happen to know if there are any strategy games that use maps deliberately styled after satellite photos (preferably with an in-game explanation for it)? It just crossed my mind as a rather obvious gimmick, but I can't think of any.

Lyesmith

Liturgist
Supreme Ruler.
Don't remember any explanation for it, but they got photos from NASA.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
zeitgeist said:
z o o l said:
Speaking of 2D top-down maps, would anyone happen to know if there are any strategy games that use maps deliberately styled after satellite photos (preferably with an in-game explanation for it)? It just crossed my mind as a rather obvious gimmick, but I can't think of any.
I think Points of Attack 2 has such maps.

Topher

Cipher
Trash said:
Here, check out my review of Last Stand Arnhem. It adds to the core game, has a (slightly) better AI and a fun campaign.

http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=69

That said, nothing beats the Cross of Iron remake for sheer scope and amount of different units to play with. MP only though. The AI sucks.

Those are the two remakes that I can't find a torrent for. I wished they'd release a collection on disk with all four (five?) remakes for a $100 or so.

mr.doo

Educated
oh god from what I've seen retardation runs rampant in those forums. Anyone saying they liked one of matrix games's CC remakes is automatically labeled as being a matrix employee.

This particular quote is pure gold:
To further add insult, Matrix Games has stated that the funds generated from selling the re-releases will go towards the development of Close Combat 6. (...) After over 10 years of patient waiting, it is now clear that this is all a scam.

The first CC remake was released in 2007 and the last one in 2010. "10 years of patient waiting" wtf ?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It's the kind of community that both scared away the masses of good modders they had and simultaniously had more prima donna modders than any other community I ever saw. For instance the guy that created the fantastic Der Kessel and Stalingrad mods for instance got flamed so much (assholes!) that in the end he decided to keep his latest and much updated version of the mod which he made all new for one of the latest remakes all for himself (asshole!). It's retardation central over there.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
mr.doo said:
oh god from what I've seen retardation runs rampant in those forums. Anyone saying they liked one of matrix games's CC remakes is automatically labeled as being a matrix employee.
It's only the OP who labels them as matrix employees.

The worst thing is that the worst retards there are guys that are working on the remakes, especially Flamethrower and Shrecken. Just check out their posting history.

mr.doo said:

This particular quote is pure gold:
To further add insult, Matrix Games has stated that the funds generated from selling the re-releases will go towards the development of Close Combat 6. (...) After over 10 years of patient waiting, it is now clear that this is all a scam.

The first CC remake was released in 2007 and the last one in 2010. "10 years of patient waiting" wtf ?
He means 10 years from CC5. Though to be honest CC3-5 were just like these re-releases - very few changes to the tactical gameplay and the broken AI and pathfinding not getting fixed, so it should be 13 years.
At least Simtek had done some work on new Close Combat stuff when working for the Marines.

Too bad Matrix didn't allow patching CCMT and continues to sell it with a feature list with made up features. Shrecken suggested that they could even upgrade CCMT to CCM6 (which would make it the best CC game, ever) and add a campaign mode if Matrix would allow it.

Matrix Games is such a lying scum...
Lying about how the game has faithfully presented modern equipment when weapon data is all wrong and when the game doesn't even have mechanics for modern stuff like composite armour, reactive armour, various types of missile guidance, top-attack missiles, modern sensors, differences between helicopters and aircraft, AA weapons, etc.

And lies about how it is a good presentation of challenges of modern tactical warfare when the game doesn't even have a working AI, doesn't have night combat, civilians, IEDs, etc (stuff that distinguishes modern warfare and which was added in CCMAT/CCM6 - CCMAT was finished before work on CCMT started, so they have no excuses).

I lost all my respect to that company. I wonder why they are such unrepentant liars... Is it because they are Christians?

Trash said:
It's the kind of community that both scared away the masses of good modders they had and simultaniously had more prima donna modders than any other community I ever saw. For instance the guy that created the fantastic Der Kessel and Stalingrad mods for instance got flamed so much (assholes!) that in the end he decided to keep his latest and much updated version of the mod which he made all new for one of the latest remakes all for himself (asshole!). It's retardation central over there.
Can you post links to some interesting modder DRAMA there?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Topher said:
Trash said:
Here, check out my review of Last Stand Arnhem. It adds to the core game, has a (slightly) better AI and a fun campaign.

http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=69

That said, nothing beats the Cross of Iron remake for sheer scope and amount of different units to play with. MP only though. The AI sucks.

Those are the two remakes that I can't find a torrent for. I wished they'd release a collection on disk with all four (five?) remakes for a $100 or so.

There's just been a BITGAMER torrent released with every Close Combat game including those. Some have got the patches working for the new games(I haven't though) as they require a legit serial, except for Cross of Iron which is fully patchable because the serial works.

I too would buy the games in a collection or even singly, but not at that price for what is basically a damn mod of a more than decade old game. Shit, most of Matrix' catalog is of remakes or shovelware WW2 grand strategy.

They are one of the few 'small' companies I have no guilt in pirating from, though it's hard to get cracked patches though.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Has anyone here played Close Combat: Modern Tactics?

I'm considering buying it, but it would be nice to get some info beforehand.
I think it didn't get positive reviews from critics when it was released, but critics have been wrong/retarded about other games too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom